Help...looking at buying a 2004 FZ6

r_egan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have recently been looking at buying an FZ6 and have found a 2004 model with 3,800 miles. The guy (early 20's) is the original owner (was his first bike). I would say it is in fair condition. The cowling as well as the inner trim panel have been cracked as a result of a misplaced tie down. The battery is dead and needs to be replaced. There also appears to be some corrosion on some of the fasteners (bolts on the brake rotors) as a result of the bike sitting outside under a cover for a few months. There are also a few small dings in the gas tank and a small scuff on the frame. The chain also appears to be very rusty and in need of replacement.

It has never been wrecked and only layed on it's side while manuvering in a parking spot (this caused the small scrape on the frame). He claims to have changed the oil several times but never had any service work performed at a dealership.

He is asking $4,500 which seems to be on the high side. I think that I may be able to get him to drop the price to compensate for the items that are in need of replacement. What would be a reasonable price...$4,000?? Or should I simply walk away from this and wait on a better bike?

I bought a 01 ZX6R in the same condition it sounds like for 3500. I had it for a week and traded it for a new 07 FZ6. Best decision ever to get rid of it. Id say to wait for a better one, you will have to spend less money getting in tip top shape. Unless you like to work on it a bit, id wait.

Nick

offer 3200, don't pay more than 3600 if you really want it and plan on keeping it for a while. There are other bikes out there though...

EDIT - if he won't get down to a fair price. keep shopping and then call him back in a couple weeks...he'll be hard pressed to get 4500 for a 2004 in that condition.

I have recently been looking at buying an FZ6 and have found a 2004 model with 3,800 miles. The guy (early 20's) is the original owner (was his first bike). I would say it is in fair condition. The cowling as well as the inner trim panel have been cracked as a result of a misplaced tie down. The battery is dead and needs to be replaced. There also appears to be some corrosion on some of the fasteners (bolts on the brake rotors) as a result of the bike sitting outside under a cover for a few months. There are also a few small dings in the gas tank and a small scuff on the frame. The chain also appears to be very rusty and in need of replacement.

It has never been wrecked and only layed on it's side while manuvering in a parking spot (this caused the small scrape on the frame). He claims to have changed the oil several times but never had any service work performed at a dealership.

He is asking $4,500 which seems to be on the high side. I think that I may be able to get him to drop the price to compensate for the items that are in need of replacement. What would be a reasonable price...$4,000?? Or should I simply walk away from this and wait on a better bike?

To me it sounds like it wasn't taken care of very well. I would wait if i were you. You can always offer him something later if he still has it. But is sounds like more than i would get into. Something sounds fishy to me.

that sound REALLY STEEP to me. a friend of mine bought a left over 2006 about 6 months ago, that was still brand new for $3800.00 OTD (so he tells me:eyebrow: ) but even then you are paying too much for a bike thats 4 years old that retails for $6800 new. maybe if it was in excellent condition maybe, just maybe. last year my bike was Valued at 4500 as a trade and it was only 1 year old at the time and had around 8000 miles on it and not a scratch on it.

I paid 5200 for an 05' in Feb of this year with 2800 miles and in perfect condition still had all the warning stickers on it. I paid to much. If it has a dead battery have you heard it run? NADA on the bike is only 4200, low retail is 3100 which is closer to the condition this bike it in.

I would wait. I had a very similar situation. Iwas looking at a SV650 that I really wanted, actually had my heart set on it before I saw it. When I saw it, it had lots of "small" things wrong with it. I decided to wait, as hard as that was. I figured that getting a bike from someone who didn't take care of it would just lead to more headaches down the road.
It's a good thing too. I saw Sam's bike, and I purched it a day later. 2004 FZ6 with 9K, lots of extras, great shape, and well taken care of. $4k.
Wait, you will be glad you did.

my first post, i bought an 04 fz 6 with only 800 miles on it ,paid 45 , cause its imaculate , i m really enjoying it, ive put about 1000 miles on it in two weeks and i look for excuses to go for another 3 hour ride, maybe wait, or low ball him, there great bikes

I paid $3150 for an '04 in excellent shape, 4108 mi., w/a Corbin seat! This thing only had a tiny dent in the tank you have to really look for, a coupla scrapes on the pass. grab bars & another tiny scrape on the gas tank that is only thru the clear coat.
This was on E-Bay & I had to go to Denver to pick it up. I could have had a shipper get it for me, but that would have cost ~$500 extra. It wasn't that far for us to go get it so I elected to go pick it up myself. Even w/extra ship cost it would have been a good deal.
I'd certainly look further & really scour E-Bay - put a search in there for Yamaha, FZ. You'll get the FZ1's as well, but what the heck - I even considered one of those except it's a little too tall for me.
Some people use Craig's List too. Shipping can run from a low of $500 - $750. Do like I did & find something closeby if shipping isn't an option.
(BTW - I traded somebody a like-new '05 seat for that brick called Corbin - yuk!)
Hope that helps you make a decision -sorry if it sounds discouraging to you, but there's far better deals out there than you've described in your post.:thumbup:
Bill

I'd walk away from this one unless, as others have said, you can get it for 3k or so. Sounds like a naked/streetfigher candidate... Patience is often rewarded and a good thing. Though tough to do when you really want a bike!

Way too high. I paid 3600 for an 04 2 years ago on ebay and picked it up in Dallas and rode it back to FL. I also agree it doesn't sound like this bike was taken care of. Keep looking. Plenty of good bikes around and the prices are right. No need to rush.

By what you have described bud sounds like this guy didn't really care about the bike. The fact all those little things are messed up isn't a good sign at all. That being said here is what I would be thinking in the back of my mind if I was you.
1 There is alot of little things wrong with the bike. Most of them show how much he doesn't care for the bike.
2 He is in his early 20s
3 This is his first bike.

This would normally all add up to trouble being he more than likely trashed the bike also while riding it. The fact he claims he change the oil and serviced the bike doesn't fit the character of the owner by the visible condition of the bike. Good Luck.

Agreed... I'd stay away from it too. I paid 3800 for my 05 w/ 8k on the clock. Only damage was a slightly cracked fairing that isn't very noticeable, unless you stare at it. Anyway, I'd pass.

Personally... I'd wait for Winter. People will sell their stuff SUPER cheap during winter. Summer is a sellers market. Winter is a buyers market.

I picked up my vtr1000 for 2800 last februaury... and it had 18k on it. Never dropped.

KG

Two weeks ago, I paid $4200 for a 2004 FZ6, with 1700 miles on it. One ding in the tank and passenger footpeg, otherwise, the bike is in good shape.

Sounds like the one you are looking at needs more work, and as such, should be below $4000 in my opinion.

Good luck!

Back