Help me buy a fazer...

billnit

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Second post here, so apologies if i am asking the same old questions!

Looking to buy a 2003 onwards fazer 600 (MkIII?) to park along my Honda RVF400 pocket rocket which i've had for 6-7years.

Unfortunately the RVF is just too uncomfortable (now i am in my 30's!) and i need something a bit more upright for weekends and midweek dry leisure use.

Been scouring MCN, Bike Trader and Ebay for a few weeks now and budget wise, i think i will be looking for a 2004 on bike in standard trim with luggage as a bonus.

Was hoping from a bit of guidance from the experts on here so that i make the right choice and get the most for my limited cash funds!

A few queries then:

1. What should i be looking for in terms of milage? I've seen a couple of 2004 bikes - one a 7.5k bike and one 20k. Price wise there is a couple of hundred between the two, but to be honest the higher milage bike seems in slightly better condition (much less corrosion on the engine, which i understand is a common problem). Are these FZ6's better judged on milage or condition?

2. Is there anything i should be looking for when specifically buying an FZ? Obviously general condition, pad & tyre wear, fork seals etc, but are there any common problems i should note?

3. A bike i saw would need a front and rear tyre (rear was badly squared off!) How much on average am i looking at for tyres, pads as this would help with my offer...

4. Where do the major services come? Happy with changing oil and filters, but when are valve clearances, timing chains etc checked and/or changed?

Other than that, if any one has any other words of advice or even a 2004 on bike for sale for around £2000-2200 i'd be really grateful.

Look forward to all your comments, pre-and post purchase!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:
:welcome:

1. What should i be looking for in terms of milage? I've seen a couple of 2004 bikes - one a 7.5k bike and one 20k. Price wise there is a couple of hundred between the two, but to be honest the higher milage bike seems in slightly better condition (much less corrosion on the engine, which i understand is a common problem). Are these FZ6's better judged on milage or condition?

- Tough to answer, depends on how well the previous owner took care of it, I have 20,000+ miles on mine with regular maintenance, runs like a champ, no problems. If you pick something up with 10,000 miles or less you should be ok.

2. Is there anything i should be looking for when specifically buying an FZ? Obviously general condition, pad & tyre wear, fork seals etc, but are there any common problems i should note?

- Alot of the forum members have had to switch out their steering bearings, so you might want to take a look at that, I have not had any problems with mine.

3. A bike i saw would need a front and rear tyre (rear was badly squared off!) How much on average am i looking at for tyres, pads as this would help with my offer...

- In the neighborhood of $350 US installed

4. Where do the major services come? Happy with changing oil and filters, but when are valve clearances, timing chains etc checked and/or changed?

- Go to Welcome to Boneman's FZ6 Site, you can download the service manual there.

Here are some additional thoughts on why to buy: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16980-buy-fz6.html

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Back