2006 Fz6 Fazer Immobilizer issues

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought the bike in April and worked flawlessly since then.

Yesterday when leaving home, it would turn over and not start, realised the immobiliser light was flashing on the dash. Fiddled with the key on/off and started. Thought it's just a gremlin.

The same for the next start, except it took even longer to start and I was worried I won't get home. Eventually it started, after 10mins of fiddling with the key and the position of the handlebar. No idea what fixed it.

Got it home and then tried to reproduce the issue, but it's not doing it again. Looked at the error codes, I got a 12 and 30. The 30 I know, I dropped it in the parking lot. But I have no idea if the 12 code is from the starting issues or is an older code.

I see 12 code is for issues with the crankshaft position sensor, but yesterday the immobiliser seemed to be the issue. And looking at the error code list, there is no error for immobiliser issues.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue before? Could the 12 code be from the immobiliser issue?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be the immobilizer will always blink if there is an error from the ECU. You may have a failing CPS.
When you have the problem does the starter engage but the engine won't fire?

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the starter engaged, the engine would turn but not start.

Wierd thing is it only did it on Saturday. Had multiple start/stops since then and no issue.

I have cleared the codes, if it does it again and throws the 12 code I will change the CPS.

So the immob light comes on when the ECU detects an error? I would have expected the check engine light to come on, but that behaved nornally (illuminated with ignition on and then went off).

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the immob light comes on when the ECU detects an error? I would have expected the check engine light to come on, but that behaved nornally (illuminated with ignition on and then went off).
I don't know about the immobilizer function but i believe you probably would have seen a CEL as well. Something else is happening. Check plugs and wiring. look at where the wiring exits the engine cover where the CPS is mounted. Lower right hand side of the engine.

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about the immobilizer function but i believe you probably would have seen a CEL as well. Something else is happening. Check plugs and wiring. look at where the wiring exits the engine cover where the CPS is mounted. Lower right hand side of the engine.
Checked the wiring, on a visual inspection nothing seems off or loose, no exposed wiring. Pretty sure the CEL did not come on, I would have noticed it while trying to start it. All the lights on the dash behaved normally, only the immob light would flash every second or so.

The good part is it hasn't thrown any issues since then. I will put it down to temporary electronic gremlins and hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks!