Help needed - bearing sound?

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
Newbie rider and new bike (to me).2006 FZ6 Fazer.

Towards the end of the video below, you can hear a grinding sound. The clutch is pulled and I am not applying the brakes. The sound is there when riding in gear as well, so I am thinking it's not the gearbox. It sounds like a bearing to me, but I am not sure.

Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny I saw your post on reddit!
Check that your chain slack is set to about 2 inches. I know it sounds like a lot but that is pretty much the spec. Do you have the service manual?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing I can tell from that pass-by video. How old is the bike? Where is it stored (in or outdoors)? Are the teeth of the sprockets cupped? Can I see a photo of the front and rear sprocket with the chain?

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing I can tell from that pass-by video. How old is the bike? Where is it stored (in or outdoors)? Are the teeth of the sprockets cupped? Can I see a photo of the front and rear sprocket with the chain?
Stored indoors, 2006, 50k. Not sure what cupped sprockets are, sorry but not a native english, will google and come back.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Newbie rider and new bike (to me).2006 FZ6 Fazer.

Towards the end of the video below, you can hear a grinding sound. The clutch is pulled and I am not applying the brakes. The sound is there when riding in gear as well, so I am thinking it's not the gearbox. It sounds like a bearing to me, but I am not sure.

Any advice is welcome.
I had new Michelin tires put on my '08 FZ6,
Bike was making a terrible racket while riding,
New chain on good sprockets, turns out he "did ya a favor and tightened your chain"
It was as tight as a banjo string!!
Big favor,,,,

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had new Michelin tires put on my '08 FZ6,
Bike was making a terrible racket while riding,
New chain on good sprockets, turns out he "did ya a favor and tightened your chain"
It was as tight as a banjo string!!
Big favor,,,,
Yeah they'll tell you it will stretch. I had that happen once when I bought my bike new and had 50 miles on the bike and got a nice piece of metal through the tread. The chain was way too tight and I made the hack redo the the alignment. After that I realize there are a lot of people out there that don't have the experience needed. Since that experience I knew I should twirl my own wrenched.
@adyrip1 Any News?

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
Status update, it looks like the brake disc is touching on the caliper. It's in the shop now, it's possible that when I had the tires replaced, they did not install correctly the wheel spacers.

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
Final update, got it from the shop, the sound is gone. They have no clue what might have caused it, did not find anything visibly off, probably slight misalignment by the guy that put it back together after the tire replacement.