Help with rear tire slow leak

rrgcsfb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have approx 4K on the original Dunlop tires. There is still a lot of tread left, but the rear tire has developed a slow leak. I lose approx 10 PSI/week.

I checked for punctures (nails etc) did the soapy water check, checked for rim damage and reseated the valve stem. Everything checks out fine but the leak continues.

My thought is to break the bead then re-inflate the tire. Any ideas if I can safely do this with the tire still mounted? I saw on the web some people using a C-clamp to break the bead. Once the bead is broken, do I need to apply any special prep liquid to ensure a new, proper bead?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

RRG

if you did the soapy water all the way around on the bead and no bubbles, then breaking and resetting the bead wont do anything.... It is possible you are loosing it through the valve stem core! check that out!!

Hmmm....good point. I did reseat the valve stem, poured soapy water on it (before and after) but no bubbles. I suspect the leak is too slow for bubbles to be produced in any quantity. Maybe I should replace the valve stem before trying the bead breaking?

thanks for your input

First, I'd get a valve stem remover tool, that removes the actual valve itself, NOT the rubber part and remove and that a quick cleaning. Its possible to get a piece of trash in there. Probably likely as your leak is so slow....

I also experienced this, I came back after a month away and found the back tyre a bit soft. I re inflated and went on with buisness. About 2 weeks later I noticed it getting soft again. I only checked the valve with the soapy water as that is what I suspected but nothing. Mine has about 5K on the clock but the tyres are in good condition.

I'll be interested to know if you find anything.

First, I'd get a valve stem remover tool, that removes the actual valve itself, NOT the rubber part and remove and that a quick cleaning. Its possible to get a piece of trash in there. Probably likely as your leak is so slow....

this is what i was talking about. I think there is a little bit of confusion to what you have actually done. the remover tool would be valve stem core remover in order to replace the valve stem you will have to break the bead and and dismount one side of the tire...

I was initially referring to removing the core and checking the seal (usually cone shaped). It wouldn't hurt to soap up the entire rubber valve (under pressure) and psuh it arouns some while squirting soapy water around the edges. If the valve has a slight tear in it (where it touches the rim) it should show some bubbles... As a side note, I bought two tires for a MC trailer I built and subsequently had both blow out at different times. On the third tire (spare tire) I found the valve was partialy torn (from the factory) when it was installed on the rim.....(where the rim touches the valve)...

Over time alloy wheels get porous. Mine did on my trusty FJ600. The tyre kept going down over a few weeks. There is an Australian product called "Trus Blue" puncture goo that some motor cycle dealers in N.Z. use mainly for farm 4 wheelers. I put some in my affected tyre. End of problem. Cheers Allistair

Back