How do I remove a stripped screw???

W

wrightme43

phillips or allen?
How bad?

One method. Drill the cap off and then twist out the screw easy since it will have no tension on it. This method only works if the threads are not messed up.

Second method
EZ out. Drill to recomended size on ez out chart, and use tool.

Sears sells these things you put in a drill and spin in backwards, sometimes they work.

W

wrightme43

Can you fit a number 3 phillips in it?

Some times if you mix a little bit of grease and fine dirt on a piece of cardboard it, wipe it in the screw, and then press in real hard with the driver it will bite and turn out.

Gotta have good screwdrivers.

Phillips are a horrible invention and should not be used for anything requiring frequent removal and reinstalation.

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
That didn't work either....feels like the screw metal is too soft......

Its the screw that holds the outer shell of the muffler on (not the muffler itself, but the thing around it)

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if I will need that screw to install my new pipes, if not I can just cut it off....the way it looks not Im still going to have to fine a replacement screw if I do have to use it for the new pipes!!!

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's the one I'm thinking you do not have to use it again. Mine did the same exact thing. I used a set of vise grips to get it out, the head was just tall enough to grab.

Bullwinkle

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't wanna cut it go to home depot and get a set of these, maybe even sears...
attachment.php

the thing with the reverse teeth, I have a set and it'll grab anything and rip it out... if it's too stubborn you can even hammer the thing on and then twist.

D

Deleted member 2349

I have used the Grab-it brand removers before on smaller projects. Only thing is you'll have to replace the screw after using Grab-it. I got mine at Lowes.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I stripped a Phillips screw yesterday too, doing the same thing you're doing (probably the same screw!) I used my trusty Dremel tool with a slot-cutting disk, and cut a flat slot across the screw head, soaked it with Liquid Wrench, waited a few minutes, then put in my biggest flathead screwdriver (with a wrench on its square shaft) and was able to break it loose and get it out.

Unfortunately my "trusty" Dremel gave out on me on another operation yesterday, my folks bought me that thing when I was a teenager (I'm 48 now!) :eek:
One of my errands to run today is buy a new Dremel set, hopefully I'll be dead before this new one give out! :thumbup: