How Do You Wheelie?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried it and got the front wheels up.

The landing wasn't so good.

Fred

That's even worse than when Thomas tried it!

19thomas-600.jpg

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
That guy in the video is an idiot - imo.

though to be fair, they did not interview anyone that I would be terribly proud to ride with...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just going off/on???

I was also reading about the rear suspension setting. Mine is still set at stock #3. Im gonna bump it up to #4 tomarrow to see how that feels. I ride my wife on there with me alot and ive also read that it helps a lil. Im 6'0 n about 150lbs then ya gotta add gear ect so #4 should be about right for me.
Hi Mate,
I have been practicing the art of wheelies (not on the public road). JamesFZ gave me some great advice as I needed a start point so thanks also Elm for your input. You are right people will try them anyway so its better to do it with more information.
Most people who wheelie know that they are doing it at their own risk.
I have found that riding hard to about 28 - 30 mph in first then snapping the throttle shut and open it whilst leaning back allows a reasonable height for the front to come of the floor and the front will come down quite nicely on the rev limiter. This works even better on a slight hill. Keep the rear brake covered just in case.
One question I wanted to ask was? I want to upgrade my front springs, will I need to change up to a heavy grade fork seal to?
I am not an expert and as mentioned before. I find that wheelies are like a golf swing. Just when you think you got it.........You don't.
Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just going off/on???

I was also reading about the rear suspension setting. Mine is still set at stock #3. Im gonna bump it up to #4 tomarrow to see how that feels. I ride my wife on there with me alot and ive also read that it helps a lil. Im 6'0 n about 150lbs then ya gotta add gear ect so #4 should be about right for me.
I found that changing to a stiffer setting made it easier to get it up:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That guy in the video is an idiot - imo.

though to be fair, they did not interview anyone that I would be terribly proud to ride with...
I have not seen the link for a video? I wear glasses have I gone blind lol.
Please help................

Nelly

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I switched it to 4 on my lunch break at work and when I got off it was POURING RAIN!!! Soooo. I didnt really look for a diff.
So once this michigan weather gets back into the normal ill see if it makes a dif. PLus 3 to 4 isnt that big of a change. Should be better with my wife riding on it thou.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I switched it to 4 on my lunch break at work and when I got off it was POURING RAIN!!! Soooo. I didnt really look for a diff.
So once this michigan weather gets back into the normal ill see if it makes a dif. PLus 3 to 4 isnt that big of a change. Should be better with my wife riding on it thou.
I pulled a good one today, flat road 9000rpm then shut the throttle and snapped it open the front came up rather briskly. I was able to transfer some weight forward to keep it tidy.

Nelly

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
The above article about florida is a good thing and a bad thing. I think it will stop some but not all and as for the refrence to stunters, i disagree. A true stunter has a seperate bike with which to stunt and also doesnt do it on public roads. Down here where i live stunting is a pretty big, i myself have a second bike that i stunt. I just dont like it when stunters are confused with those idiots that ride wheelies in traffic, with no helmet, shorts, and tank tops. Around here we call those guys S.Q.U.I.D.s

Stupid
Quick
Underdressed
Inexperienced
Dead

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

No...I don't know CanadianFZ6. But I've noticed he doesn't really like me. Perhaps it was because I said he was normal? He didn't like that. He said my stuff was strange. Now he says my stuff is crap. Then he says I'm someone blind leading the blind.

Yes, Yes and Yes to all. Whatever makes him happy.

I love your stuff Elm! Please don't stop! You've provided more laughs for me than anyone else here. I'd love the chance to buy you a beer and talk to you and yours.

I don't set out to wheelie but on some occasions the front does come up and it feels good. Now put me on a dirtbike or 4-wheeler and the front is ALWAYS in the air! I used to ride wheelies everywhere on my dirt speacials! Not comfortable on the street. Totalled my first Supersport at 18 yrs old and haven't purposely done a wheelie on a street bike since. Hard freakin' lesson to learn when you watch everyting you've saved for flipping end over end down the street. Thus killed the squid in me (on the street). Looking back, it's the best thing that ever happened to me. I have a lot more respect for my new girl!

S

sportrider

Hi Mate,
I find that wheelies are like a golf swing. Just when you think you got it.........You don't.
Nelly
:D great analogy!!! I don't really intensionally do many wheelies anymore, so when I do it still has that first wheelie feeling.:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love your stuff Elm! Please don't stop! You've provided more laughs for me than anyone else here. I'd love the chance to buy you a beer and talk to you and yours.

I don't set out to wheelie but on some occasions the front does come up and it feels good. Now put me on a dirtbike or 4-wheeler and the front is ALWAYS in the air! I used to ride wheelies everywhere on my dirt speacials! Not comfortable on the street. Totalled my first Supersport at 18 yrs old and haven't purposely done a wheelie on a street bike since. Hard freakin' lesson to learn when you watch everyting you've saved for flipping end over end down the street. Thus killed the squid in me (on the street). Looking back, it's the best thing that ever happened to me. I have a lot more respect for my new girl!
+ 1 Elm, keep posting I am having a blast.

Nelly

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
lol... Yes it is.
It like saying hey I just bought a R1 But im never ever gonna go over 70mph or even attempt to race it... If your not into it get off the forum or better yet go get yourself a harley.

if you buy a r1 and you do 70 in a 55 you get a ticket, is that correct? so you breaking the law just because you bought a bike that can do 200 and you do 200, then get in trouble. and that has anything to do with me being on this forum or not? dude you need to chill. race on the track, thats a safe place. wheelie at your own risk, that is my opinion if you dont like it, you leave this site. there used to be reason and sanity in these forums. is it just you folks from canada?

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm. Nobody said anything about racing or doing wheelies on main roads.

All Cars DO OVER 70mph.... The speed limit here in MICHIGAN is no higher than 70MPH so you go over you get a ticket. Stop comparing vehicle speed with state road speed limits. I think could say that nobody on the forum is that stupid.:Im With Stupid:

If only you had a clue...

If I were to do research on a R1 which we all know.....
The R1 is fast as hell and comes straight from the factory ready to race..

WHICH MEANS!!!! WE ARE BUYING A RACING BIKE!!!!
WHICH MEANS!! WE ARE GOING TO RACE IT!!!

Get the little clue there???? Give you a hint... ITS IN BOLD...

You can go buy a 250cc Ninja for $3,000 and you can still do a wheelie, stoppie, a burnout and anything you would like. But, doing research would show that its for beginners, your gonna get wasted if you race, but you can still have fun.

Were not starting anything here. Just dont come here telling people they cant use there bikes for what they want. Like posted already, you know what you wanted when you bought it. If you want to wheelie you know your risks. If you want to speed you have a chance of getting a ticket. But hey, The only reason cops give you tickets for speeding is because they know that your having fun going fast..... And cops dont like when your happy.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the point is, "do whatever you want, just don't impact other people's live's in the process"

Check this shyt out...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQSwSXislzE"]YouTube - Over the screen[/ame]

he needs to make more videos!

isk

Reaction score
Visit site
My first wheelie was on a '77 honda 360t, after coming out of a turn my idle screw was way off and the engine revved when I pulled in the clutch. My mistake by letting it back out like I did, and pop... freaked me right the hell out. Not cool.
Don't be a squid, if you don't know how to... then you're safer by never knowing.

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone get a loud knocking noise when the front comes up???

Or ummm is that just normal?

I know the struts gonna come out til its max but making a loud clunk each time....

Also after the first 3000 miles on the bike that buzzing on this bike is really getting super annoying. lol Those are probably the only things I dont like about this bike.