-How- Does Your RPM Drop When Shifting?

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Heya folks!

Been trying to get my stupid PC3 working properly (I can't seem to get any discernible changes when loading maps, despite having the O2 sensor gone and unplugging the battery for a time between changing the map) and in the midst of doing that, went out on a test ride.

I know our bike has a pretty abrupt bite point at the end, and the snatchy throttle - and now that I've put a few thousand KM on it, I'm starting to feel pretty good overall. I'm a lot more smooth overall, which is nice. That being said - I watched my tachometer today while shifting, and it seems like maybe I'm doing something a little weird, I think. (Spare me the lecture on looking down while riding! It was pure fluke!)

Essentially, when I go to shift I've got it preloaded and ready to go with little free play in my clutch lever/throttle so that everything is about as responsive as it can be. As soon as I do the upshift and begin to let the clutch back out (rather quickly, as has been suggested here - and it seems like it does the trick since there's very little feedback in regards to having shifted up a gear) while rolling back onto the throttle, it seems like the needle goes down and then right towards the end climbs back up a bit before 'settling' and going up as usual.

I always see it in movies and the likes, and even youtube videos of people riding - it seems like their RPM drops a pretty consistent chunk and just locks into place. Mine dips below a bit and climbs back up, so it makes me think I'm doing something wrong along the way. I try to keep a pretty even distribution between clutch/throttle usage and it feels good, but based on what I'm seeing on the tach it seems like I might be slow on the release (strange, considering as soon as I pull it in I'm letting it back out) or maybe not giving enough throttle in between. I don't want to wear my clutch out prematurely!

I guess what I'm looking for is simply, how does the needle drop on your bike when you shift? I get the impression I might be a bit slow on the release.

Mine looks kind of like this guy's in the first 20 seconds of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1YCihp4an4 (Although his is a fair bit more dramatic!)

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see any issue with that shifting.

Unless you perfectly rev-match your gear changes, the clutch will have to slip a bit to make up for the rotational differences between the motor and the transmission.

Revs should drop when you let off the throttle and pull in the clutch, and you release the clutch to hopefully catch the revs on the way down, but if you don't, the revs will drop below the next "target" rpm and have to come back up once the clutch is out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
His seems pretty normal to me...

I find the slower you shift, the more "uneven " it is.

As you noted, if you fast shift (I don't pre-load) I can make it sound like an automatic or clutchless shifting.

Often, what I'll do is double clutch, a rev inbetween gears taking it easy. The key is get the clutch out fast..

Also, if feeling frisky, I first shift at say 5k, 2nd gear go to 6k, 3rd gear to 7k. It shifts fine sounds great and your accelerating fairly quick without getting into triple digits right away... Especially with the open Scorps, its very noticable..

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, alright. I'm going to see if I can nail even quicker (kind of baffling, since it felt like I was doing it really quick as it stands!) shifting, just for fun.

Thanks for clarification folks!

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, it's a close ratio box; so there is not much difference in revs from one gear to the other (except 1st to 2nd). It took me about 1000 km to get used to it.

My clutch is set to take high, so each change, up or down is literally a twitch of left hand fingertips and twitch of right wrist. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you get super smooth shifts.

It helps to ride fairly aggressively otherwise the bike sulks and responds with notchy shifts and jerky throttle response. lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, it's a close ratio box; so there is not much difference in revs from one gear to the other (except 1st to 2nd). It took me about 1000 km to get used to it.

My clutch is set to take high, so each change, up or down is literally a twitch of left hand fingertips and twitch of right wrist. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you get super smooth shifts.

It helps to ride fairly aggressively otherwise the bike sulks and responds with notchy shifts and jerky throttle response. lol

+100^^ real quick is the easiest, sounds the best. And easier on the clutch too!

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing to take into consideration is that the motor has very little (if any) flywheel effect; therefore, if you close throttle the revs drop immediately (against compression), and conversely, as you open throttle the revs increase immediately.