Question Throttle stuck on parked bike.

strych9

Reaction score
Visit site
Sort of an odd thing here. I parked the bike in my garage a couple months back and she ran perfectly.

Today, I went to go and make sure the battery was charged up since we're moving and I need to move the bike next week. Fires up just fine.

But that's when I noticed that I can't twist the throttle. At all. It's pretty well frozen, which I find odd since it was perfect just a couple months ago and the bike's just been sitting in a nice, clean garage (aside from all the boxes).

It's not the end of the world since I can just push it onto a trailer for the move but I don't really have time to research the whole thing. Ideas on where to start looking/hoping I can fix this before I pack up all my tools in the next day or so?

Thanks in advance.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would try lubing the throttle cable. When you have the twist grip disassembled to lube the cable you can check it for any binding. If the cable is mechanically frozen it may need replacement.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum! I would also check right at the throttle body assembly to make sure nothing is binding at the end of the throttle cables. I'm also wondering if water got in between the throttle tube and the bar and rusted.

strych9

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I will check out the cable and the throttle tube.

The fact that it just froze kinda suggests to me that corrosion might be the culprit here.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
lubricate this points (red arrows)
I use wd40.
WD40 is good as an initial lubricant to loosen and lubricate but over time it will get gummy. The water displacement element of WD40 is great for it's intended performance but you should follow up with a lubricant more suited for the application. WD40 company also sells lubricants targeted for other applications.

Makiabelhs

Reaction score
Visit site
WD40 is good as an initial lubricant to loosen and lubricate but over time it will get gummy. The water displacement element of WD40 is great for it's intended performance but you should follow up with a lubricant more suited for the application. WD40 company also sells lubricants targeted for other applications.
Motogiro the points that a suggest is only for clean, unstuck not to lube.
Nowadays all of us now the use of wd40.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro the points that a suggest is only for clean, unstuck not to lube.
Nowadays all of us now the use of wd40.
Yes, I realize that nowadays all of us know the use of WD40 but maybe some of us may not know what to not use it on. That's why I mention a follow up lubricant. WD40 may have been used previously at the lubrication point you suggested and that is possibly why it may have gummed up.
I've heard people also claim to use it on there arthritic locations but The WD40 company doesn't recommend it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WD40 is a cleaner, with about 10% lubricant to aid in the cleaning process.
IIRK the WD stood for Water Displacement and it was developed for Convair Aerospace to use as a rust inhibitor. The original company name was Rocket chemical Co.

I worked at a trade show/ technical model company and we built their foyer reception desk and kiosks..

Terrible , Some guy in the 70's had 2 girlfriends and he would use it to mask the smell of each girlfriend from the other