How many miles on Reserve ?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So yea.
If you happen to average 42-45 MPG, your reserve will last exactly 48.4 miles.
And from "so-empty-it-wont-****ing-start" to full is about 4.9 US Gal.
And pushing it though the intersection because you almost-****ing-made-it is, unpleasant.

What, when, where, and how I acquired this knowledge is classified.

:rant:

HA Ha ha LMFAO, mate. Not cause you ran out of gas. The classified bit was hilarious. How long did it take before you primed the lines and she fired?

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
I just hit my reserve for the first time!
Yeah I know but I've not seen the flashing block yet and the F Trip thingie. Ended up going a good 2 miles before filling.
I've covered 135 miles since picking the bike up; that looks to be a bit poor on the economy side compared to others?

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
HA Ha ha LMFAO, mate. Not cause you ran out of gas. The classified bit was hilarious. How long did it take before you primed the lines and she fired?

Almost instantly. It rolled over about 3 or 4 times when I hit the starter and then fired nicely.

Botch said:
Let me guess, the station was exactly 48.6 miles away? Or is that classified too?

More like.... the next stoplight. Close enough to see the station, but far enough away to warrant pushing it on the sidewalk (no breakdown lane on this road).

I also must say, with an empty tank its nowhere near as top heavy as it usually is. I hoped off the left side to push it (left side to put the bike between me and traffic when there was no sidewalk for a bit). I almost dropped it, but managed to push off the grass a little and keep it up. Got some funny looks from a guy ridding hes bike (pedal power FTW?).

Last edited:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it happend to day. I was about 60 miles out and the F trip started flashing. I always reset the trip odometer when I fill up, and remembered that it was reading in the 140's before the F trip came on. Normally it takes about 3.2 gal to fill up from this point so a quick calulation tells me I have about 1.9 gal left. The first part of this tank was commuting where I normally get about 45 mpg, the last 60 or so miles were highway where I normally get about 50 mpg. So, I figure I can get at least 90 more. Heck, I just posted a week ago quoting this same impeccable logic.

Well, I kept passing gas stations heading for my favorate neighborhood station. When F trip read 61.4 miles, the engine cut off. I was in the fast lane of a 45 mph surface road. First I signaled right, but the street on the left was closer. I quickly signaled left and made the left coasting turn onto a neighborhood street. When I stopped, I hit the starter and it started again, but when I put it in gear, it cut out. Hmmm, I just passed a station 2 miles ago and home is another 3 miles in the other direction..this is looking ugly. As I looked around I saw a guy and his son about 4 houses down. He is working on...you guessed it a motorcycle. I walked up and asked him if I could buy a quart of gas from him. He picked up a gas can and handed it to me..apologizing that it was not premium. I offered to pay but he said don't worry about it. He had 2 other sport bikes in his garage including an older Yamaha. I poured in about a quart, thanked him, started her up and road to a gas station.

I filled it up, but it only took 4 gallons! I know I didn't add 1 gal from the gas can. So, now I am having trouble believing that that the FZ6 can hold 5 usable gallons of gas. The most I've ever added is 4.25 gal. I've tried filling it on the center stand but that doesn't make a difference. Do you guys fill until the pump cuts off or do you fill it until gas starts pouring out of the top of the tank?

The lesson of the day: when the F trip is blinking, fill up within 20 or 30 miles

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fill up until I have about 1" left to close the filler. 61 miles on reserve is still bloody good though. Some sporsters don't do that on a tank...