How to string align your rear wheel!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question for those who have used this method for rear wheel alignment.. How many marks on each side show after you were finished? I just did this and there is a difference of 1/2 way between two tall marks and that seems like a lot to me. Just wondering if I need to look for something else out of place that is causing the difference like the forks or something bent....

That seems excessive. It could be different for all of us but I'd expect to find it within the closest hash marks.
Key ingredient is not bending the string around the tire or anything else. Its just needs to rest next to the leading edge of the tire.
Id suggest rotating the rear tire trying a different spot. Confirm string is not dropped into a tread/grove.
Good luck!

crazycd1

Reaction score
Visit site
That seems excessive. It could be different for all of us but I'd expect to find it within the closest hash marks.
Key ingredient is not bending the string around the tire or anything else. Its just needs to rest next to the leading edge of the tire.
Id suggest rotating the rear tire trying a different spot. Confirm string is not dropped into a tread/grove.
Good luck!

I did rotate the tire and try again. I also had the string tape to two brick out in front of the bike and and checked straightness of the sting many many times. Also made sure it was not in a groove. Are the axle spacers that ride in the swingarm the same either way you flip them? I did notice marks on the back of one from the adjustment bolt contacting it, so it was flipped the other way before the new tire went on... I suppose I better check that the forks are straight in the trees.

I went for a 10 mile ride and it seemed to vibrate less but I noticed it got worse at 60mph or more.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like in this picture:
The goal is that when the string is spaced properly from the leading edge of the rear tire, you can "flick it" and it will vibrate ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR of the tire. So, right where it goes past the leading edge it will vibrate and settle next to the tire.
03-DSC_4274.jpg

Are you using the front rotors as guide?
Have you checked the swing arm bearing for play? Like grab the SA and try to move it from side to side while on the center stand.

Also, check your rear tire/wheel for side to side runout. Like place you finger in between the swing arm and leading edge of the tire and spin it. It should maintain the same gap throughout the entire revolution. A screwdriver resting on the SA to the "chicken" area of the tires edge. Gap should NOT change when rotated. Make sense?

Last edited:

crazycd1

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the flick test and checked multiple times to make sure I was just touching the leading edge of the tire and not "bending" the string around the tire. I was using the brake rotors on the front wheel to measure.

When I get some more time to work on it I will check the runout of the rear rim / tire and make sure the forks are straight in the triple tree and re-test. I will also try to measure center of axle to center of the swing arm bolt and see how close those measurement are.

Thanks for all the help!