hydrographics anyone?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I was just surfing online and found out about hydrographics.
Did anyone of you guys had done some cool hydrographics on your motorcycle?
There are lot of DIY kits available online too.
That Carbon Fibre style graphics, just makes me feel do the rims.
Please share your thoughts on these kind of graphics/paintings? How long do they last on motorcycles with daily commute.

For a sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enFSoiCo-lA

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah we sell it, and I did some test pieces for the shop, made mistakes, but have learnt some good lessons. It is a awesome product but still my favourite is plasti dip.

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Theres a place in nashville who does this and as far as I was told once the graphics are laid the pieces are coated in clear. So essentially they should last just as well as any automotive paint job (color under clear) but it will depend on the quality of the clear and quality of application. There are somewhat limited designs but that is expanding as it becomes more popular.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
It's quite popular in the UK. Cheaper and more options than powder coating, significantly less expensive than a custom paint job. If I'm ever in the position to stand the bike down for a full strip down, the wheels, tank and plastics would definitely be in for something like this.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
It's quite popular in the UK. Cheaper and more options than powder coating, significantly less expensive than a custom paint job. If I'm ever in the position to stand the bike down for a full strip down, the wheels, tank and plastics would definitely be in for something like this.

Its kind of similar price as painting, atleast around my place.
But thanks for the update.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Theres a place in nashville who does this and as far as I was told once the graphics are laid the pieces are coated in clear. So essentially they should last just as well as any automotive paint job (color under clear) but it will depend on the quality of the clear and quality of application. There are somewhat limited designs but that is expanding as it becomes more popular.

Exactly, it depends on the quality of the application.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZVb6MCfVtU
Here is one of the video which made me lean towards hydrographics vs painting.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah we sell it, and I did some test pieces for the shop, made mistakes, but have learnt some good lessons. It is a awesome product but still my favourite is plasti dip.

How long we have to leave it aside to dry, before we put them back on the vehicle?

And with Plastidip, the video i watched before mentions that it last only few months and easily removable though, for same price.
In a POV, you can have different colors each time, may be if u r going for a trackday, you can paint your wheen neon green for more visibility and style and once the race is over, after a month, you can remove the paint and make it look like an innocent economical/dependable/daily commute bike again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGdjWLan6hc

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of that before, wow. Thanks for posting that! :thumbup:

"The first hydrographic apparatus registered for a US patent was by Motoyasu Nakanishi of Kabushiki Kaisha Cubic Engineering on Jul 26, 1982", My friend who had his bike painted last week told the same thing, that he never heard of it. He mentioned if I did showed the video couple of weeks ago, he would've gone for the same on his 'busa..!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Treat it like normal paint, I did some car speaker covers and some game controllers, Steps were sand, prime, base coat, dip, rinse, dry, clear. You leave the hydrodip until dry about half hour and then clear. The dip dries faster than paint. Follow all tips and hints.