I have an oil leak...

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So i have this leak i presume is still going on. I am keeping tabs on the oil level and it isnt going down but it looks like its getting just a little dirtier as the days go by. Ive just looked over it, but not very hard. I kinda dont wanna start pulling stuff off because i dont have any tools or a place to work really since I live in a barracks :( Here are the pics:
CIMG0626.jpg

CIMG0627.jpg

CIMG0628.jpg

CIMG0630.jpg

CIMG0631.jpg

CIMG0629.jpg

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, definitely and oil leak... You might try taking a couple of cans of Brakcleen to the block and getting it good and clean. Drive it for a day or so and see if you can tell where the wet is starting.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest with you, that doesn't look like an oil leak. It looks like you're leaving too much lube on your chain after lubing it and that's the stuff that the chain is flinging off when spinning. Especially if you're watching the oil level and it doesn't seem to be dropping.

I just removed the front sprocket cover on my '06 yesterday and you'd be surprised how much crap gets flung up in there by the chain, even if you don't over-lube it. But I've got the black engine and frame, so it's not as apparent as it would be on yours since you've got the silver engine and frame.

Try cleaning that area up, cleaning the chain and lubing it, only make sure you use a dry lube or something that won't fling off as easily. Then watch it over the next few days. I'd almost guarantee you it won't look like that again.

W

wrightme43

Easy way to find the leak.

Engine degreaser and a hose. Clean engine. Buy some oil dye from autozone, orielly, advance, napa or such. Add to oil. Ride bike for a few days. shine black light on engine. The leak will glow orange or green. Remove and replace gasket that is leaking. Faaahhhgettabouutttit.

LOL

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend Dupont Teflon multi-use lube. It's got the added benefit of making it harder for dirt to cling to your chain.

W

wrightme43

Oh and it sure looks like a oil leak to me, since oil doesnt go up it is most likely your valve cover gasket but its best to dye it so you can fix all the leaks at once.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that it's probably NOT a leak. It looks just like the fling I get when I use my Scottoiler (which is messy - but works great on long trips)

Try DuPont chain lube - it's cheap and usually available at Lowes stores. If not, you can get BelRay Super Clean at bike shops (for about twice the price). Chain wax should help keep the fling down.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the chain lube flinging off and making a mess.. clean the area, clean the chain and if you don't have any other lube just leave it like that for a few days. Your chain won't rust / dry out overnight..

I had something similar looking on my GS500 even had oil looking crap on my left boot after a long ride.. I tried to find the leak for a month. then cleaned the chain and front sprocket, switched to dupont teflon dry lube.. and no more "oil leak".

I'm not saying i'm sure you have the same problem, but it's worth giving it a shot

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that looks like road grime on the front of the engine and, chain lube all over the oil filter.whens the last time you washed your bike?

Dunny

Hit the road jack
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very difficult to diagnose with a photo, degrease the bike dry off, and as mentioned remove cover from front sprokett and clean, I wouldnt mind seeing a picture of your chain and rear sprocket area. Just to get an overall idea.

I would assume with it being that wet you would notice a drop in oil level.

There should be a smell difference in the the oil if it is engine oil or chain lube.

Good luck

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Like everyone said, hard to tell from the pics, but based on the 1,000,000 other threads and pictures on the exact same subject, it's most likely chain lube and road grime.

It's very simple, get it crystal freaking clean, then see if it comes back.

W

wrightme43

Now maybe I am wrong but in the second pic it looks like oil, it would be hard for chain lube to sling up that high, coat everything and such. Down on the filter it makes sense to me, but up on the starter as well?

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Now maybe I am wrong but in the second pic it looks like oil, it would be hard for chain lube to sling up that high, coat everything and such. Down on the filter it makes sense to me, but up on the starter as well?

Yeah exactly. Ill admit that when I bought the bike a few months ago it had the stuff around the oil filter cover and I figured maybe chain lube. Now that its getting worse, Im thinking oil. I use the BelRay Super Clean chain lube. The only issue I have with pulling the sprocket cover off is the fact that I cant! The only tools I have are the ones under the seat so Im gunna run up to the work-on-your-own-car place on base and go ape**** on it after I buy some rust removal, kerosine and brakleen. I figured Ill remove all the rust and crap on teh chain and sprockets and then clean the engine. Unfortunately im broke til the 15th so im gunna have to wait 10 more days.

Last edited:

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not use the rust removal stuff. It can ruin the o-rings in the chain and possibly do damage to the aluminum and paint. If the chain is that rusty, you can use a stiff nylon bristle brush and some diesel or kerosene. If that doesn't clean it up, you will be better off replacing the chain and sprockets.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Do not use the rust removal stuff. It can ruin the o-rings in the chain and possibly do damage to the aluminum and paint. If the chain is that rusty, you can use a stiff nylon bristle brush and some diesel or kerosene. If that doesn't clean it up, you will be better off replacing the chain and sprockets.

Thanks a bunch. It did cross my mind but ive seen others use it. Im gunna replace the chain anyway when i get new tires and try to find an aluminum sprocket with steel teeth just to add some color along with a new front one too. If I have enough scrilla ill be picking up some kerosine this weekend and attacking that nasty spot. Would I be able to use kerosine on the motor too or pick up another degrease like Simple Green? Walmart here I come...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a bunch. It did cross my mind but ive seen others use it. Im gunna replace the chain anyway when i get new tires and try to find an aluminum sprocket with steel teeth just to add some color along with a new front one too. If I have enough scrilla ill be picking up some kerosine this weekend and attacking that nasty spot. Would I be able to use kerosine on the motor too or pick up another degrease like Simple Green? Walmart here I come...

You can use simple green but you don't want to let it sit on the paint. Rinse it off good.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well to some people surprise, it was from the chain. HOLY CRAP that stuff is DIRTY! I cleaned the hell outta the whole area and got all the rust off my chain and sprockets and gave it a thick coat of Belray Super Clean to keep the rust at bay. The bike looks much better now.