I lost my keys and need new locks

Dragonryu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi.

I need some help. I lost my keys and now need to get new ignition, gas tank cap and seat lock. But what I don't know is: from every part dealer like partzilla.com I can order all the parts, but how will all the parts match the same key? I see no options to get the parts as a set, so i'm guessing I'm gonna get a key for each part, or how does that work? The only "sets" I've seen are the Chinese ones, but I want to use original parts.

Has anyone here had to change all the locks?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming you don't have an immobilizer on your bike why not have a locksmith make you a key and save all that money on parts etc.?

Dragonryu

Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming you don't have an immobilizer on your bike why not have a locksmith make you a key and save all that money on parts etc.?

I already tried that, I had 2 different locksmiths try,but the first one couldn't, and the second guy broke the tool inside the keyhole, because the lock was old and not in a good shape. So now my only option is to get the parts.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IF you had a 07-09 (don't know), you (a locksmith) can easily pull the helmet lock apart and make a key to it and everything else.

Folks HERE have parted out bikes with ALL the parts you need as a package.

IMO, if you cannot find a "package" buy a NEW OEM ignition switch. You should be able to have that ignition re-keyed.

Earlier FJRs had a recall on the ignition switch and eventually(after MUCH complaining), Yamaha had their dealers re-key the new switches
to match the ORIGINAL key

If you mechanically inclined, you may disassemble the old switch (they do come apart but be slow and careful). Either learn how it's
assembled or use it for the making of the original key.. If the switch wasn't worn, flip it upside down, play with it (tap, slightly rotate) and
remove that broken locksmith tool...

BTW, I have, MANY times re-keyed the helmet lock for helmet lock brackets I sell for the FJR and FZ. Haven't done a switch yet but I'd give that a try.

Again, if you have a good yamaha dealer, they should be able to re-key the new switch. There may be something put out by Yamaha (mid 2008 or so)
for the dealers on the procedure...

If you go this last route, you may confirm with your dealer they can do it and perhaps, get a price buying the lock AND re-keying FROM HIM.

It would save you some $ pulling the switch your-self and re-installing. That takes a bit longer than re-keying the switch...

Do some searching, this should help give you an idea (around the 8:00 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zuH4FDIpTM

And the easiest, from an FJR forum:

On a positive note, I finally on Saturday had a local locksmith grind ONE KEY from my new and old ignition keys. I can open all locks and turn the ignition with one key now again. He notched the top of the key so I can insert it correctly every time. I don't even have to flip the key for different locks. Cost was $5.

AND:
Tech Bulletin finally arrived at our dealership sometime in the early hours today before the sun came up. Affected range according to the letter you will get is ALL 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 FJR1300A and AE model motorcycles. In the letter it states replacing the main switch should take about 1 hour. (YEAH RIGHT) Your key tumbler will stay with your bike so those of you worried about the one key thing have nothing to worry about.

IE, you should be able to replace the tumbler section ONLY (after you make it to fit your key) and be good...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have noticed the ignition uses full depth of key and all the tumblers. The Gas cap and seat lock do not as best I recall....
Bike is stored, cant confirm.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, if bars are locked in turned position, it will be very painful to remove the top triple and lock.

I'm not going to go into detail but you have your work cut out for you to overcome this in a bike friendly sense.

Perhaps use the vin, title, and registration, contact yamaha for the key code. But you'll need the broken part out to be successful.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike is stored, cant confirm.

Stored already?

With the cooler weather down here, the bike is running the best it ever has!!.

Dead smooth to red line, can even see in the mirrors! Just came in from a ride....

Mileage has gone down a bit from running the engine into the higher RPM range OFTEN!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Stored already?

With the cooler weather down here, the bike is running the best it ever has!!.

Dead smooth to red line, can even see in the mirrors! Just came in from a ride....

Mileage has gone down a bit from running the engine into the higher RPM range OFTEN!

Yeppers....
The trade off for wearing the sides off the tire and chucking them while still having tread in middle...
Leaf pooh and tree parts everywhere... Not to mention rain and darkness more often than I care for....
Oh well. Time to work on cracking into the ecu.
// thread return ;)