Unable to order rear shock

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My rear shock on my 2009 FZ6 started leaking. I'm sure the construction on my building probably has something to do with that (I was dumb and wasn't covering it for awhile). A new OEM shock seems to be on backorder with no known date anywhere I look. I'm ok going used but I have no idea how to make sure I get a good used one.

The dealer near me suggested trying to find someone that can rebuild it. I don't really want to spend the extra on an aftermarket part. My bike is mostly a daily driver car replacement for me here in NYC. I also do occasional 2 up riding staying local. As much as I miss riding the twisties or my amazing long distance roadtrips I don't really have time for either these days so I don't need anything high performance.

Any advice?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM shock is an Emulsion shock and is not rebuildable. If your shock is leaking, then it has failed as it no longer provides any damping. Ebay will be your most likely place to find an inexpensive used unit.

Being an Emulsion Shock, the OEM shock is low-tech garbage. If you search the forum you will see a few "how-tos" to convert other shocks for the FZ6 (hint: keep your OEM spring). There are other alternatives but they start at expensive and go straight to absurd. I went with an Ohlins (absurd) and I'm happy with the performance.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My rear shock on my 2009 FZ6 started leaking. I'm sure the construction on my building probably has something to do with that (I was dumb and wasn't covering it for awhile). A new OEM shock seems to be on backorder with no known date anywhere I look. I'm ok going used but I have no idea how to make sure I get a good used one.

The dealer near me suggested trying to find someone that can rebuild it. I don't really want to spend the extra on an aftermarket part. My bike is mostly a daily driver car replacement for me here in NYC. I also do occasional 2 up riding staying local. As much as I miss riding the twisties or my amazing long distance roadtrips I don't really have time for either these days so I don't need anything high performance.

Any advice?
Wow, another name from the past. First Erci shows up, the Kerry resurfaces. Long time no see..... Hope things are going well.

Like Gary, I too went to the Ohlin's rear shock and I think I still have my original Yamaha shock. I recently moved and my garage is still in disarray, so I am not positive. I'm slammed on calls today but I will take a look this evening and let you know what I find.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, another name from the past. First Erci shows up, the Kerry resurfaces. Long time no see..... Hope things are going well.

Like Gary, I too went to the Ohlin's rear shock and I think I still have my original Yamaha shock. I recently moved and my garage is still in disarray, so I am not positive. I'm slammed on calls today but I will take a look this evening and let you know what I find.
Haha nice to be remembered (it's Kerri btw) :)

I still have my second FZ6, the same one for almost 7 years now, but haven't left the city with it in quite a long while. I also have a tendency to only go on forums when something goes wrong. Life feels too busy all the time. I absolutely have fond memories of all the people Ive interacted with here both on and offline though. All of you were always so nice and willing to help. I'd love to go on a group ride again too, not sure when I'll have time, but it would be a blast.

I went through to check the last time we messaged and I don't see me thanking you for the handlebar you sent me, so in case I didn't thank you! I still have it on my bike. Now thank you very much for this too. Even if you don't find the rear shock I think it's awesome that you are offering.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I still have my second FZ6, the same one for almost 7 years now, but haven't left the city with it in quite a long while. I also have a tendency to only go on forums when something goes wrong. Life feels too busy all the time. I absolutely have fond memories of all the people Ive interacted with here both on and offline though. All of you were always so nice and willing to help. I'd love to go on a group ride again too, not sure when I'll have time, but it would be a blast.

I went through to check the last time we messaged and I don't see me thanking you for the handlebar you sent me, so in case I didn't thank you! I still have it on my bike. Now thank you very much for this too. Even if you don't find the rear shock I think it's awesome that you are offering.
Good news. I did find my original rear shock. I had removed the lower bearing, but I have brand new OEM Yamaha replacement parts still in their little bags. The bearing just needs to be pressed in, which can do if you need. Like @gnyce mine is also from an 05.

Attachments

• 2023-06-16_07-27-49.jpg
    2023-06-16_07-27-49.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was replacing my bottom out bumper on my shock, I went talking to some local dealerships who informed me the rear shock on the 06 model was discontinued. It appears your 09 takes the same since the image of the 05 above is.
Not rebuildable? It can be disassembled, can someone explain how it can not be rebuilt?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The spring can be replaced as well as the bearing, but the cylinder, piston and seals are not repairable. There is no charge port to refill with N2. Once opened it is no longer a gas filled shock.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I still have my original but it's from an '05 - not sure if they changed or not (guessing it's different) - as I found a Wilbers rear shock on CL and had them rebuild it for me (their authorized US dealer in NJ).
i am hoping you can get to your old shock. If you can, let me know the position of the lower bearing in the lower shock mount. The bearing is narrower than the shock, so I am guessing that it gets centered.

Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If you still need the shock, it's yours for the shipping cost. Let me know and I'll press the new parts in.....

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you still need the shock, it's yours for the shipping cost. Let me know and I'll press the new parts in.....
Hey sorry about the slow response, I worked 26-27 hours in the last 2 days whew. I'll send you a PM but in short yes still need a rear shock thank you!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i am hoping you can get to your old shock. If you can, let me know the position of the lower bearing in the lower shock mount. The bearing is narrower than the shock, so I am guessing that it gets centered.

Thanks
Hey @Gary in NJ , @gnyce .... Do either of you have your OEM shock to send me the install depth? I am assuming that the bearing is centered in the eye and that the grease seals but against the bearing on each side.

Thanks

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey @Gary in NJ , @gnyce .... Do either of you have your OEM shock to send me the install depth? I am assuming that the bearing is centered in the eye and that the grease seals but against the bearing on each side.

Thanks
Checking, I think I know where it is in the garage but need to verify (sorry, am in the middle of a bathroom renovation, ugh). Give me a bit...

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks
That much is correct. Then there is the inner rod the rollers roll over and the bolt goes through slips through one side and butts against the other.
I have a photo posted in a thread on my disassembly to replace the bottom out bumper. You can see the lower bearing pretty much in position in the otherwise disassembled state of my shock.
I saw in some thread a while back someone thinking of putting in a grease fitting in the swing arm at this location. I see wisdom in that.

Last edited: