idle adjustment screw

Reaction score
Visit site
So for the longest time I've been having issues with the bike returning to idle after pulling the clutch in, it just dies and ill have to crack the throttle a bit to get it to restart. It also seems to be running really rich, my clothes stink like exhaust after a ride. My bike is an 07 with 40,000 miles and has tb carbon exhaust w/ a de-cat pipe, k&n filter, and ais block off plates (everything been on the bike for atleast the last 20k miles). It runs great with no hiccups until you need it to idle at a stop light. I've reset the ecu, done a tb sync, checked for damaged vacuum lines, and even replaced the tps. Right now the the idle is set to a hair above 1000rpms warm but thats the max i get with the idle adjustment screw.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have an aftermarket fuel controller?

As you stated, it sounds like it's running VERY rich.
Adjusting the idle screw higher isn't fixing the main issue..

I suspect you have an after market fuel controller and if so, disconnect it completely and see how she runs..

I would also check the sync and see if that shows anything(probably won't and isn't your issue).
Once the "richness" issue is found/fixed, a sync is in order. I'd probably run her hard first to blow out excess carbon / crap from running rich..

***Just a thought, when the bike starts up from DEAD COLD, is the idle higher (roughly 300 RPMs) and then drop down (it should)? I'm thinking if not a fuel controller, the bike is staying in "cold mode"- Coolant SHOULD run thru the unit below (un-named via the parts site)-

Once coolant is warmed, the "cold mode"(not the correct terminology) loop stops and the bike goes into it's normal fueling mode(leaner). With a clog inside, the coolant doesn't flow, never warms up inside and the engine thinks it's COLD, and stays rich...

It has been previously posted that the assembly can be taken apart and the coolant orifices cleaned (although Yamaha doesn't show the main unit in separate parts) . If your coolant is nasty, I'd be looking real close at that. Most likely your issue if no controller installed..

See below pic:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/fz6-fzs6w/intake- 2
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

i dont have any sort fuel of controller installed. the idle is higher when i first start the bike and does drop down after a few minutes. as for the coolant i change it every about every 3yrs. ive pulled the two coolant lines off that attach to the item in the picture and tried to flush it out before, ill try taking everything apart today to see what i can find.