immobiliser problem help

fadge

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, guys coming home from work to night started the bike and she fired up okay,but as i left the yard she cut out and wouldnt restart.I have no lights showing up on the gauges,and the start is button is dead.Only thing that works is the immobilsier light flashes in a pattern that ive never seen.Any ideas is it gunna cost a fortune to fix,handbook states take it back to dealer ,as if you would

Are you sure the battery isn't dead. Maybe enough power to just about flash the LED but nothing else.

Turn ignition to park and try hazard lights if they don't work then suspect the battery, or a problem with the charging circuit.

no the lights dont work but the batt has full charge in it,me thinks iam about to get a bill from dealer,an idea how much i could be in for

Just in case. Is the cut-off switch in the on position? I'm not calling you a dummy but just flick it back and forth and see if it starts. Also to be sure it's not another issue, Make sure it's in neutral and pull in the clutch with the kick stand up.

Cliff

had the batt tested by the recovery company,done of all of the above as well,manaed to get it going this morning but,its still saying error and now the mileage is showing 2000 miles more than its done

Had this exact problem on my old 2007 Aprilia RSVR. Everything was dead and the immobilizer light pattern had changed.

Turned out my battery somehow lost it's charge, seemingly out of nowhere.

Good luck, hopefully the bill isn't too big.

If the lights (eg indicators, side lights, hazards) don't work in either on position or park then it would suggest either a cabling problem to the key switch, or more likely is a bad battery.

Motorcycle batteries especially can look fine when not under any proper load and test fine with a volt meter. Assuming the recovery company just used a volt meter across the battery I would still suspect the battery.

I am not sure but,
May be you can buy a U.S version Cdi (Ecu) and fit it to your bike.
U.S versions have no immobiliser.

How does the immobilizer work? Does it get a radio frequency signal from the key? If so, does the key have a battery? If not and it recognizes the key it must somehow derive power from a source? Is that source interrupted?

Cliff

The immobiliser is a bit of a red herring I think. The immobiliser only stops the engine firing, all other systems will function normally.

The key has an ID chip that is passively powered by the bike, bit like the security tags on expensive goods, so no the key doesn't have a battery.

If the lights aren't working this has absolutely nothing to do with the immobiliser.

The immobiliser is a bit of a red herring I think. The immobiliser only stops the engine firing, all other systems will function normally.

The key has an ID chip that is passively powered by the bike, bit like the security tags on expensive goods, so no the key doesn't have a battery.

If the lights aren't working this has absolutely nothing to do with the immobiliser.

Thank you for the rundown on the power being passive on that device. I'm imagining there is some form of alternating current field that is generated in the lock mechanism that becomes rectified and used as a direct current source for the encoding device within the key. Is there a way of telling if that is active? If this is in fact how the device works then the lock assembly may have lost the primary current that enables it to detect and create the AC field needed. Also is the key triggering the device for initialization of the supply AC current? I would check wiring especially at bends etc. Check fuses.

Cliff

Back