Information needed

Bluesfan83

Reaction score
Visit site
I broke the chain on my 2006 Fz6 and obviously it broke a couple of things including a bracket that the chain cover bolts to. Do i have to replace the top crank case or is their another cover to the crank case that can be replaced?

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's quite "no bueno"... The crank half can't be just replaced, as it is machined to match the upper case (engine block) and the crankshaft- installing a random crank case half will likely lead to some micro misalignments and destroy the main bearings (they do machine them in sets for a reason).

You also cannot just weld something over the gap as it'd destroy the gearbox bearing. You could either:
1-buy a new used engine and sell the internals of the existing one to get some money back
2-take everything apart and have a welder fill the gap
3-find a lower crank case that has the same casting/machining code as yours (very slim chance)
4-find a crank case with the same bearing code, but I'd give this a 10% chance of working over the long run. This is usually done by scums fixing it just to sell it and screw over some poor guy (but as they say- what goes around comes around).

This is the second time I see this- the first time the guy changed the entire engine.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the crankshaft might be misaligned, and the main bearings will almost surely be the wrong size (unless the crank case has the same bearing number(s)). You'd also need new rod bolts (they elongate with the initial tightening and can't be reliably reused), new rings (it's improbable that the old ones will bed into the new cylinders), apart from the cams and timing parts there's not much you could just swap on an engine like this.

If you're considering opening the engine (and assuming you got all the tools needed, especially the torque wrenches), it'd be easiest and cheapest to just take the lower case half to a welder, this way you don't even have to remove the crankshaft or the pistons.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, what a pain, sorry to hear OP. Other than chain inspection and proper replacement intervals, is there anything else that can be done to prevent this from happening? Reinforce the case somehow?

Bluesfan83

Reaction score
Visit site
Use a rivet master link instead of the clip master link. Besides eBay is their other places to search online that has engines?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Use a rivet master link instead of the clip master link. Besides eBay is their other places to search online that has engines?

Ouch!
Do you have the blown out piece? The right welding tech may be able to save this.

How difficult is to put an r6 motor in It? Wiring, computer, etc.?

The engine is an integral support structure with the frame so the R6 motor would not work.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it broke because you used a clip link?

It can't be (only) that. It could be high wear, wheelie abuse, etc. I've even heard of bastards removing 1-2 links before selling a bike so that it'd mask the excessive stretching/wear of the chain.

Bluesfan83

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain was new I changed it and the sprockets. No wheelies don't care for them. I've been told that clip master links will fail.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found an empty crank case on eBay. Would swapping the internal be an issue?

No it shouldn't be. Yamaha show's ONE crankcase part: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2006/fz-6-fzs6v/crankcase

As noted above, BOTH half's have to be changed together.

You'd be using (as long as their within spec) the same crank and rod bearings in the "new" block. Agreed, new rings should be installed as well.

It IS a big job and more than basic knowledge would be needed. Gaskets will add up as well

There have been threads here of complete engine tear downs, (broken case-chain coming off, crash with "Tip Over Guards) breaking an engine mount etc.
Paying someone labor wise, probably NOT worth it.

Do you have the shop manual?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welding is your best option if you can pull it down yourself.

IIRC an R6 will bolt in (still a stressed member, but a head mount needs ground down) but the computer, wiring, fuel pump, and the fact that your airbox will not feed those throttle bodies AND most R6 motors will be a gamble. It's just not worth it.

As mentioned, if you have the part, it could be welded in. Keep in mind the bearings and shafts of the trans are fed with oil pressure. So that cavity is under some pressure even tho its dumped return oil leaving the bearing headed to the sump.

I welded up a sump to fit an 06 catless header to an 08 bike. It weld ok once the oil is removed. Suggest lots of MAF cleaner and medium heat!

Good luck. And thats tragically painful! But not too spendy if you can do the work yourself.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
It can't be (only) that. It could be high wear, wheelie abuse, etc. I've even heard of bastards removing 1-2 links before selling a bike so that it'd mask the excessive stretching/wear of the chain.

Can I ask what chain you used and was it a rivet link? If so did you rivet it correctly? I messed mine up but waited for another master link and did it again. Also how old was your chain?. I know its all hindsight but its nice to know for us how/why it failed.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe I hope you get it sorted without to much cost. Just reading on here looks like welding is your best hope of it not being more costly than the bikes worth.

Bluesfan83

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain I bought off eBay and the sprockets off revzilla. I didn't use a rivet link like I should have. The clip link just failed. Looking for another motor any suggestion besides eBay to look.