Insurance Questions

Geico was way to high for my motorcycle but is lowest for my car. Progressive is way to high for my car but lowest for my motorcycle. So I just insured them under different companies. You should be able to cancel your insurance when switching to a new one so just shop around.

I go through American Family. Full coverage with a $500 deductible for $170 a year. I had to wait almost a week before I bought the bike, because I wanted a definite answer from them. They sent the bike specs to someone in their corporate office, and they finally said it wasn't a true sport bike. Otherwise it would have been $900 a year.

When I bought the FZ1 I got quotes from Progressive, State Farm and Rider.
Rider $1780.
State Farm $875.
Progressive $482

Full coverage, 49 years old with clean driving record.
The decision was so easy a cave man could do it. (even though I didn't think to get a quote from Geico.)

I went through a agent here in WA that uses GMAC, I pay 227 a year for full coverage including loss of equipment(helmet, clothing).

Liberty Mutual - 2008 FZ6 with full coverage, 100/300/50 and a $500 deductible. $1k allowance for mods. $260 per year.

I've seen and heard that State Farm offers some of the best deals. I'm a long term policy holder with Liberty with multiple discounts. I have life, home, auto, bike, etc.... all through them. Of course, I'm also married, 43 yrs old and a clean record. Liberty rates the bike on CC alone. My '08 FZ6 is $260 where the wife's '08 V Star 650 is $324 for the same coverage even though my bike is a sport bike and her's a cruiser. Go figure!

Count yourself lucky that you at least have insurance options... poor us here in British Columbia can ONLY get insurance through our government insurer, ICBC.:Flip:
My yearly premium is $2650, I have an 8 year totally clean driving record, am 34 years old, and live in a town with <10,000 people.
Ridiculous!
OOOOHHHH, MMMMMYYYYYY, GGGGGGGG-OOOOOO-DDDDDDD! Oh my God! OMG! OMG! Gulp! Gag, gag, hack, hack, big cough!

Thanks guys for all of the responses. I was sticking with Geico because I used to have Foremost and then switched to Progressive for cheaper rates...BUT with Progressive I was paying about 200/month and then one magical year my renewal came due and I get my bill in the mail and it was almost $1000/year! This is up from 200! So I got on the phone with them and was told that even though I was 26 at the time with a clean driving record, my bike had it's 26th birthday and was now, in Progressive's mind, a "Classic". So they were saying the bike was worth more...but I argued that I didnt have comp or collision on the bike and its blue book was only 700 anyway. They didnt care and that's when I switched. Talk about screwy...so I've been weary of the big P ever since.

I'll definitely be shopping around more. I've narrowed my choice down to a few bikes and they are reliant on how comfortable the back seat is...the live in girlfriend LOVES to ride with me. So if I can get this initial sticker shock for the insurance price to a reasonable rate the FZ6 will be number 1 on the list.

I just changed my insurance today for hopefully the last time. When I first got the bike in January I had geico who were charging me $70 a month for liability only....after about a month of that I switched to Progressive who charged about $250 a year for liability only, I was fine with that but I wanted to upgrade to full coverage just in case, and they said it would be $800 a year on top of what I had already paid. After shopping around lately I signed up with Allied, they are part of Nationwide that cover the Western states. Quoted me $27.91 a month for full coverage with $500 deductible, but after they ran my driving record it dropped to $23/month! It helped that the rep I talked to rode too, had an R6 and knew enough about the FZ to not group it in with the supersports. I'm 23 with a clean driving record FWIW.

Count yourself lucky that you at least have insurance options... poor us here in British Columbia can ONLY get insurance through our government insurer, ICBC.:Flip:
My yearly premium is $2650, I have an 8 year totally clean driving record, am 34 years old, and live in a town with <10,000 people.
Ridiculous!

while you do need ICBC for your liability coverage, there are 3 private companies in BC that will do your comp./collision that are far cheaper and much better.
i use Megson Fitzpatrick out of victoria. very easy to deal with and a great policy. you need to have had a drivers liscence of any sort for 10 years to qualify for them.
my father uses Beacon and i believe they are cheaper but they have high requirements and wouldnt insure me. theres a third too, cant remeber the name but i belive at the time i asked, our bike was not one that they insured.

it costs me $350 for 6 months liability (at 43% disc.) from ICBC and $700 for 1yr. of full comp/collision from MF. it was over double from ICBC for crappier coverage.

Last edited:
Ridiculous!
You need to take back Canada (not that your neighbor is so great either).

Back