Need Help Integrated Tail light working- but brake light not working.

Tom24GR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 FZ6 and the previous owner had installed an integrated tail light, one of those cheapo amazon specials (I think MZS is the brand judging from looks). Today I noticed neither the front nor rear brakes activate the brake light.

There is a row of bulbs on the bottom of the light that I assume were the brake lights but now do not activate.

I have ruled out:

1) Fuses. Every fuse in the fuse box is in good shape, none blown.

2) Brake light switches. The front and rear brake light switches are good and the wires are all good. The spring is properly attached to the brake pedal.

3) Wiring to the light itself. I checked the wiring and there are no tears. There was a harness that was unplugged but that was to the turn signal (which now works).

Could it be the lights have gone out? It is one of those unites with a bunch of small lights in it- so I am considering replacing it since it is only $30 for the whole unit.

What do you guys think?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a yellow wire that the brake light signal is carried on. Test this wire to insure there is 12 vdc when the brakes are activated. If that brake light signal is active recheck all of the wiring to your assembly. Also check to see if your horn works. If not, the fuse is probably blown. Fuses don't wear out so you probably have a short if the brake light and horn are not working
If that wire is not carrying the brake light signal, report back.... :)

Last edited:

Tom24GR

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a yellow wire that the brake light signal is carried on. Test this wire to insure there is 12 vdc when the brakes are activated. If that brake light signal is active recheck all of the wiring to your assembly. Also check to see if your horn works. If not, the fuse is probably blown. Fuses don't wear out so you probably have a short if the brake light and horn are not working
If that wire is not carrying the brake light signal, report back.... :)
The horn works (and didn't have a problem). I had checked every single fuse and none of them are blown. Additionally the yellow wire is not damaged in any way.

Tom24GR

Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly, Thanks for all of your guys' help.

Ok the problem was not that the brake light was not working, but rather that it was permanently on.

I went ahead and checked the wires with the multimeter and everything was good there.

Then I went ahead and checked the front brake switch and everything was good there.

Then I went to check the rear brake switch harness under the gas tank and once I unplugged it the taillight instantly stopped shining so bright.

The final cause? - I had adjusted the brake pedal height and the little spring that actuates the rear brake light switch was being tugged on constantly. I didn't adjust the black brake light switch when I adjusted the pedal.

So to anyone reading this post- adjust the brake light switch when you adjust your pedal, otherwise your brake light could get stuck on permanently.

I ended up replacing the integrated taillight regardless because water had got in it and it was super duper cloudy. It also had some LED's that went out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly, Thanks for all of your guys' help.

Ok the problem was not that the brake light was not working, but rather that it was permanently on.

I went ahead and checked the wires with the multimeter and everything was good there.

Then I went ahead and checked the front brake switch and everything was good there.

Then I went to check the rear brake switch harness under the gas tank and once I unplugged it the taillight instantly stopped shining so bright.

The final cause? - I had adjusted the brake pedal height and the little spring that actuates the rear brake light switch was being tugged on constantly. I didn't adjust the black brake light switch when I adjusted the pedal.

So to anyone reading this post- adjust the brake light switch when you adjust your pedal, otherwise your brake light could get stuck on permanently.

I ended up replacing the integrated taillight regardless because water had got in it and it was super duper cloudy. It also had some LED's that went out.
Thank you for the update! Good find!