Investigating my total mileage

discovery

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys

I am the second owner of the bike,and now it has 21,500 km,from 2007. till today.

When I bought it in November 2010 it had 19,900 km.

What I am trying to investigate is,whether this mileage is true,or could it be faked very easily ?

How easy or how hard is it for a person to change and fake the total mileage on FZ6.

It has a digital speedometer and computer,so I'm guessing it's not that easy,but how complicated is it? :(

All answers and opinions are welcome. I am just trying to find out some proof that this mileage is correct.I know that it is individual from person to person,how much Kilometers they make in a season.Just would like to know from mechanical/electrical side,what the previous owner might or might not have done. I don't have the "service book" ! He told me he lost it ! :(
The only thing that convinces me that the mileage might be true is, that the guy who owned it was very carefull about his bike,he didn't have any falls,didn't do burnouts and that's because he still had to pay off credit for 2 more years.The bike was bought on credit of 5 years.He earned it very hardly.

But lets talk about it on a technical side :)
Thanks !

Last edited:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
When I started looking
I was thinking the same thing:confused:
Its my first speedo like this:rolleyes:NICE
How long should one last? I know years ago It wasn't long, so just wondering

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
AFAIK the only way to alter the mileage is to change the whole speedo unit to a one with less km's on it.

It is possible that the previous owner had some problems with the speedo and he bought a replacement on trough eBay...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Service book doesn't mean anything - we service our own bikes - don't bother filling out the book.

Also, not everyone rides everyday. The kilometres could be genuine. @5000kms per year could be correct.

Does the speedo unit look "original" or does it look like it may be a replacement?

discovery

Reaction score
Visit site
Service book doesn't mean anything - we service our own bikes - don't bother filling out the book.

Also, not everyone rides everyday. The kilometres could be genuine. @5000kms per year could be correct.

Does the speedo unit look "original" or does it look like it may be a replacement?

the speedo unit looks pretty much lika an original one

I would say,if all the plastics around it look equaly old,it looks just like that :)

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
the speedo unit looks pretty much lika an original one

I would say,if all the plastics around it look equaly old,it looks just like that :)

I wouldn't worry about it then. There seems to be more low mileage riders than the opposite. If you were to look at used moto's in the US, you would find lots and lots that are several years old, but have 4,000 miles or less on them. Lots of people buy moto's, and either decide riding isn't for them, or they hate the bike, but are stuck with it. So they just park it and wait until they can sell it. I've seen forgotten moto's that were 7+ years old, and had less than 1K miles! I'm sure it's no different in your region, or anywhere else for that matter. Ride and enjoy! :thumbup:

bjorn240

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a 1982 motorcycle with 1700 miles on it. I'm never surprised how few miles are on a bike. And if someone were going to doctor a speedo, certainly they'd put fewer on there than 21,000 km! :)

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a 1982 motorcycle with 1700 miles on it. I'm never surprised how few miles are on a bike. And if someone were going to doctor a speedo, certainly they'd put fewer on there than 21,000 km! :)

:eek: WOW! Talk about stored and forgotten! What is it? Was it in good shape? You've got me wondering now. lol

old biker

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all.
i am a newie.are you aware that there must be a kind of battery in the speedo because when the battery is disconnected the clock still continues to work which means if the battery inside the speedo is remove then all the readings will be erased. therefore the odo and clock should be
zero.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt it's that easy/simple. They usually have the info stored in non-volatile memory.

Non-volatile memory : Information is retained whether or not power is present. As in you can kill the power, but it's still in memory.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt it's that easy/simple. They usually have the info stored in non-volatile memory.

Non-volatile memory : Information is retained whether or not power is present. As in you can kill the power, but it's still in memory.

That's correct. You need some kind of interface (cable with the correct connectors) and the proper program to read values from and write values to the non-volatile memory. I have no idea what this interface or program would be. Aybe Google can give some clues.

Of course, the clock needs a battery, but i guess it uses the 12v battery under the tank.

As mentioned by others, this is not stadardized on bikes. On cars there seem to be a wide adaptation of the OBD II standard.