Is it normal to have oil gush out the dipstick hole?

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided to check the oil for the time since Ive owned it (2 1/2 weeks) and after I got off and put it on its center stand I unscrewed the dipstick and oil came gushing out. I immediately stuck it back in. I waited about 5-7 minutes and retried hoping it was just because it just turned off. I unscrewed it and the same thing happened. Do I need to wait longer? Is there too much oil in the case? My temp is always 2 bars, 3 when its slow moving. It never has a problem starting. I guess Ill do an oil change just so I know its right soon.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, oil gushing from your dipstick hole is not considered normal. Perhaps the tech who filled your crankcase might have put too much oil inside. Chances are, the oil expanded a bit at operating temperature and the excess oil is weeping out.

The FZ6 engine uses just short of 3 US Quarts of oil.

Last edited:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you I would do an oil change before I rode again and put the correct amount it. It sounds like someone slipped up and put to much in. I wouldn't ride it like that.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
2.96 quarts is the proper amount and it definitely sounds like they put too much in at the dealership! As opposed to measuring out 2.96 exactly, I typically just use 3 quarts even and I've never had a problem.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
2.96 quarts is the proper amount and it definitely sounds like they put too much in at the dealership! As opposed to measuring out 2.96 exactly, I typically just use 3 quarts even and I've never had a problem.

I do exactly the same thing. The difference between 3.0 quarts and 2.96 quarts is a fraction of an ounce. The crankcase will never know the difference.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happened with mine that I bought used with only 1,100 miles on it. I changed the oil immediately and have not had any problems since. I assume it was over filled by someone.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Run it
2. Turn it off
3. Wait 5-10 minutes for it to cool down a bit
4. Check

If it's gushing out at that point, it's probably overfilled.
Heat will expand oil, but not that much

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
It definitely sounds like it's overfilled, but I believe you want to check it without it being on the centerstand. The 2005 owners manual says to hold it upright. Maybe the forward tilt of the centerstand makes it seem worse than it is.

V

VDITRAINING

not trying to insult you but, you did turn it off first right. how much oil would someone have to put in to have it come out the dip stick tube? :D

not to insult you, but did you read and comprehend his post? he tells you right in there......"just turned off"

V

VDITRAINING

with my experience on past bikes, I would almost hazzard a guess that you'd have to almost double the oil qty to overfill this bike.

Please let us know how much you drain out when you do.

B

bluenova

That's pretty crazy, they must have just kept filling till the oil was up to the filler cap. Cowboys :spank: