Is it safe... RPM range?

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
RPM range...Is it safe...?

So just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how safe it is to be running these bikes up into the 11-12K range? I see on the gauge it reads redline at 14, but sheesh really can you safely pull this off, or will sustained high RPM like that cause engine damage?
I come from a DB world where redline = new topend and possibly bottom end. Then again 450's have rev limiters to help prevent that, but being on the limiter is really bad, so how about these?
I've only run mine up to 10K or so in 3rd gear I think, seemed ok but wondered if it was safe to push it a little harder?

Last edited:
Red lining an FZ6 will not harm the bike unless you are just constantly bouncing off of the rev-limiter. You have to keep it there for a long time for it to do damage. Rev limiter on my FZ6 is about 12.2k. never understood why the tachometer goes up to 14 if the rev limiter is in the low 12k's.

As far as practicality, there is not much. The FZ6 motor has it greatest power right about 10k. I can not remember the dyno results to know the exact rpms.

Shifting between 7k and 10k is pretty common practice.

considering it has the same valvetrain as the R6, which redlines at 16k+rpms, I am sure it will be fine! :thumbup:

besides, the limiter is there for a reason! it wont let you do bad stuff.
obviously downshifting at 100 into 1st will really piss off the bike, but the rear will lock up and still not let it do bad stuff....

THESE MOTORS ARE FREAKIN AWESUM!! they are known for being tough and reliable....

Re: RPM range...Is it safe...?

So just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how safe it is to be running these bikes up into the 11-12K range? I see on the gauge it reads redline at 14, but sheesh really can you safely pull this off, or will sustained high RPM like that cause engine damage?
I come from a DB world where redline = new topend and possibly bottom end. Then again 450's have rev limiters to help prevent that, but being on the limiter is really bad, so how about these?
I've only run mine up to 10K or so in 3rd gear I think, seemed ok but wondered if it was safe to push it a little harder?

its completly safe! these engines are based of the 03 R6 engine which redlines at i wanna say 16k, and almost all internals of the engine minus cams and i think valve train are identical to that engine. Those engines are extremly robust and then you take some performance away but keep most of the same parts like in our engine and you get a bullet proof engine. I have 33k on my bike right now and i have spent quite a bit of time bouncing off the rev limiter and so far (knocking on wood) have had zero issues with the engine. It never smokes, never uses a drop of oil and still performs top notch when ever i ask it too. I have also spent hours at a time with my bike at 9k on the highway form sprocket changes and still not a single problem. These bikes LOVE to be reved!

Yes the engine is good for the high revs.

Also the higher RPM range is where the motor becomes a beast. This is where it's making it's horsepower. That higher RPM also equates when you have the bike in gear and you're on/off throttle. There is much more happening at the back wheel at this RPM from higher inertial torque at the crank shaft. Take steps to become familiar with this behavior before you just play at 10,000 RPM.

The FZ6 is a very different animal on the road and in turns when it's ready to play so work your way up. What an awesome bike! :D

Last edited:

You would cause more damage to the bike if you DIDN'T bounce it off the rev limiter from time to time. Emotional damage, that is.

I used tyhe rev limiter as a shift indacaor the whole time I had mine right after I took it easy for the first 500miles.... never had any problems the R6 redlines at 16,000 rpm.. :cheer: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sweet, I'm just not used to having to run this high in the rev's to get power, my last sport bike was a Honda 919, had mucho power down low... Can't really put a finger on it but I never really cared for that bike. Before I bought this I was looking very seriously at the SV650, but I wanted the half fairing and the upright seating position.

Last edited:

I'm sure the factory sets the rev limiter and suggested RPM's at a conservative level. You can go beyond that within reason and not have any problems.

I'm sure the factory sets the rev limiter and suggested RPM's at a conservative level. You can go beyond that within reason and not have any problems.

Yup, that's how engineers work. We test and test and test to make sure a motor can withstand 16k rpm without eating itself, and then we put a 12k rev limiter on top of that.

I remember doing calculations for 3 days on how much a aluminum 6062 .188" shelf would hold. I found a breaking limit of 348 pounds. The head engineer said "Good, now go put a sticker on it that says '175 LB MAX.'"

I usually bounce it off the limiter at least once every other ride. :thumbup:

When I'm playing rough, I don't think I see less than 8k unless I'm coming to a stop. I've become VERY familiar with the peak around 12.5k before it fades and hits the limiter.....THAT is where I like to shift, right before you can feel that little fade :D

I usually bounce it off the limiter at least once every other ride. :thumbup:

When I'm playing rough, I don't think I see less than 8k unless I'm coming to a stop. I've become VERY familiar with the peak around 12.5k before it fades and hits the limiter.....THAT is where I like to shift, right before you can feel that little fade :D

You must chew through gas like a V8 truck riding like that.... :rockon:

Mine sees it everyday that I ride. (I just have to be sure that I have already drawn a bead on a very distant stretch of highway first!) I do always let my engine warm up thoroughly first and I always keep high quality, clean oil in my bike.
Safe riding!

Sweet, I'm just used to having to run this high in the rev's to get power, my last sport bike was a Honda 919... Can't really put a finger on it but I never really cared for that bike. Before I bought this I was looking very seriously at the SV650, but I wanted the half fairing and the upright seating position.

I understand. I test rode that model Honda and I was totally unimpressed. I keep feeling a BAD vibration that came and went often in the engine. (I just kept thinking: One day soon this engine is going to let go!) Probably just me but I did not like it. The only vibes I get from my FZ's engine are good vibrations!

You must chew through gas like a V8 truck riding like that.... :rockon:

I don't even want to know since I put the high dollar stuff in it (non ethanol). Non eth plus a nice cool morning and 12k on the tach = :spank::cheer::thumbup::Sport::steve::sinister::rockon::rockon::rockon:

I understand. I test rode that model Honda and I was totally unimpressed. I keep feeling a BAD vibration that came and went often in the engine. (I just kept thinking: One day soon this engine is going to let go!) Probably just me but I did not like it. The only vibes I get from my FZ's engine are good vibrations!

Huh, I cant recall mine ever having vibes and it had great power down low and in the mid, but it really seemed to drop off on top. For a big liter bike it was just unimpressive and heavy as crap to boot, or at least it rode heavy...

I don't think I've ever had mine over 10k!

Not because I'm scared to, but 8k-10k is where you get that surge. Definitely wakes up over 8k!

By all reports, though, the Fizzer donk is bullet-proof.

Cheers,
Rick

Like the other poster said, use good oil and make sure it is warmed up before going up high in the RPM range or full throttle. After that is is no sweat to run high revs. I try and avoid the rev limiter cause it sounds like I screwed up so I shift just before that. Have 36,000 miles on it last I looked and no problems, doesn't use any oil. Did switch to RedLine and have been very happy. This motor is pretty bulletproof if you respect it and treat it right - wait till it warms up then go for it. Just remember that as you approach the rev limiter in 2nd gear you are above the speed limit in most places.

...Rev limiter on my FZ6 is about 12.2k. never understood why the tachometer goes up to 14 if the rev limiter is in the low 12k's....

Hmmm, mine goes all the way up to 14k before "bouncing". Maybe we should start a poll on rev limiters to see if it varies from bike to bike. They should be the same and go to redline.

Back