It's almost over!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Little less than a month and provided I pass the national registry test I wi get my gold patch and be a certified paramedic. Year long class and countless hours of free clinical time will hopefully pay off.

Worked my first real code today. Since there was a EMT-A and a paramedic with me I did the only thing I thought right for the patient while they got the IO and intubation on. Good ol fashioned CPR. Now, if you have never had to do this I only did it for 11 minutes, but felt like I ran a marathon, and then fought mike Tyson. Good ol 90 degree temps with 100% humidity. The guy didn't make it unfortunately, but this isn't pokemon, can't savem all right?

Do everything I can competently and compassionately. Can't wait to get my own truck even though I am scared to death.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job, you are right, can't save 'em all. I have never performed CPR, but I have heard it is quite a challenge. I am certified and will need to renew it soon. Good luck with your new career! I hope you get your own truck in the near future. I just graduated also and am trying to get my new job going in physical therapy.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I've never performed CPR, I've taken the training and been certified and 11 minutes sounds like an eternity to me! Congratulations.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've also done my certification and it is a workout! Good on you for your effort.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did it several times while still on the road, seconds take forever.

Try learning CPR, in the WATER, ON a non breathing, scuba diver while dragging him (in full gear) to shore on the surface!!!

No chest compressions, simple breathing on the victim while swimming/dragging to shore/boat. Part of the PADI "Divemaster" training (one, advanced, professional diving certification). Talk about multi-tasking!!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Did it several times while still on the road, seconds take forever.

Try learning CPR, in the WATER, ON a non breathing, scuba diver while dragging him (in full gear) to shore on the surface!!!

No chest compressions, simple breathing on the victim while swimming/dragging to shore/boat. Part of the PADI "Divemaster" training (one, advanced, professional diving certification). Talk about multi-tasking!!

I hear yah, once I get my own truck it's me, and an EMT so it's my a ABC management I am alone lol.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear yah, once I get my own truck it's me, and an EMT so it's my a ABC management I am alone lol.

The more you do it, the better you'll be and more proficient but as you know, its still VERY PHYSICALLY demanding.

Before I retired, the Fire Dept was often on scene before EMS, and every BODY, shared the "work/procedure" so your not alone. It takes more than one paramedic to do CPR, run a line, take vitals, gather information on the patient, etc... There's a bunch going on..

At least down here, the Fire Department rolled on ALL calls such as that. PD usually too, if at least crowd/family control, etc...

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
CPR is a workout. Once you start working with the same group of people and practice/run enough codes you'll all work in synch with great communication and will rotate flawlessly. Don't underestimate a good emt-b!

Congrats on your successful year of medic school. Some of my favorite memories of being/becoming a medic come from my clinical/ride time.

Any word on where you'll be working or future aspirations/goals? Fire dept, critical care/flight medic, strictly EMS, etc..?

Post up or pm me on how the nremt-p test goes (written and practical). I have been really considering taking it. I took the national for emt-b, but went the easy route and did the IL state test for medic. I would obviously study for it first, but feedback and advice on the national would be cool! :thumbup:

Good luck and welcome to an awesome profession!!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe flight one day, I want experience first and then go RN for children's flight.

The best advice I can give you on the EMT-B national is go through your steps, if step one isn't there, go to step 2 then step 3. And never look over the capitalized words like, FIRST, SHOULD, and EXCEPT. They are bold and bright but sometimes I'm so carries away with the treatment I miss those lol.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may have misread. I took the national for my basic, but not for paramedic. I took the IL state test for paramedic. I have been entertaining the idea of taking the national paramedic, and am welcoming any advice on it. After you take the nremt-P let me know what you thought. :D