Just bought Kriega US20

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered the Kriega US20 from Revzilla last week and got it today. What a great bag! This is my first piece of luggage for the bike, so I'm looking forward to using it. I've been using a backpack almost every time I ride, and it can be annoying when I'm carrying a heavy load. Plus, I don't get much airflow through my jacket to my back with it on and sometimes end up with a giant sweat spot. Not good for commuting to work with a dress shirt on. I also hate the idea of possibly riding in the rain and not having something that's totally waterproof, so that was my main reason for choosing Kriega.

Anyway when I first opened up the package, I didn't think it looked very big. I still think I could use more room, however I was surprised how much I could fit in there. I was able to fit a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of cargo shorts, 3 tshirts, 2 pairs of socks, 3 boxers, and my sandals.

The fit on the bike was also great. It connects under to the seat to the subframe and the seat re-attaches without a problem. I just hope the nylon strap and plastic buckle don't have a problem with the heat of the exhaust under the seat. Whether the bag is full or empty I'm able to secure it on the back without a problem. Removing it is simple as well. Just undo the 4 clips and you're on your way!

I'm a little unsure about the straps after the bag comes off. It didn't include the clip connectors and revzilla isn't selling them. So I guess if I was removing the bag, I'll just have to unhook the straps and take them with me.

I'm planning on taking a trip from St. Louis MO to Lake Geneva WI sometime in the next couple months. Not a big trip, but something I still need luggage for. I think the US20 should be fine. Though if I wanted to pack my tennis shoes, I'd have to have another bag or something. My Joe Rocket Manta XL tank bag will be perfect for my personal items and toiletries.

Well here are some pics of the US20:

All filled up and secured

20120731_024957.jpg

20120731_030956.jpg

Empty bag and secured
Untitled-1.jpg

20120731_032713.jpg

Straps after bag is removed
20120731_031114.jpg

Last edited:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Lovely Joe!
The bike looks great in the red, esp. with the rim tape on!
Tell us how the trip goes!
I wonder if the Kriega would work with the Ventura rack?
Anyone? thoughts?

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting some of these for camping off the bike. Can't decide between the 20 or 30 as the base though. I think their idea is for you to remove the bag by taking the alloy buckles out of the underseat loops, leaving nothing on the bike but the little loops. But if you are going to leave the straps on there, here is a link to the connectors. If they will ship First Class USPS, shipping would be low.

Kriega Connector Straps

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon:
I am so jealous, I have been looking at the Kriega 25 backpack, now I might have to re-think. Looks great on the bike!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting some of these for camping off the bike. Can't decide between the 20 or 30 as the base though. I think their idea is for you to remove the bag by taking the alloy buckles out of the underseat loops, leaving nothing on the bike but the little loops. But if you are going to leave the straps on there, here is a link to the connectors. If they will ship First Class USPS, shipping would be low.

Kriega Connector Straps

I was in the same boat as you, with deciding on the 20 or 30. I figured I would go with the 20, because it's the right size for 99% of how I would use it. I'm mostly going to use it to pack stuff on the bike for my ride to work, the gym, or the grocery store. If I do a bigger trip, I may get the 30 too and buckle them together. They say it's a pretty big bag, so I think it would be better for more 'trip use' and not daily use.

Thanks for the link. Shipping is another 5 bucks, but I may just unhook the straps and take them with me. We'll see how that goes.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Lovely Joe!
The bike looks great in the red, esp. with the rim tape on!
Tell us how the trip goes!
I wonder if the Kriega would work with the Ventura rack?
Anyone? thoughts?

This is the first time I've seen or heard of that rack, and that thing is huge! lol There's no way I'd want that thing on my bike at all times. That was my problem with hard luggage. I don't want obtrusive racks on my bike when I'm not using them.

I don't think you'd have a problem connecting it though. The straps with the allow buckles are supposed to hook to the subframe, but I don't see why you couldn't strap them to the frame of the rack. It might work!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I'm deciding between these and the twisted throttle bags.

I like the twisted throttle dryspec bags too. They look like they're probably more versatile when it comes to mounting, especially if you already have racks in place.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered the Backpack 25 with US5 drybag and the little cube from revzilla today. Did you really need to post this thread Joe and get me to spend money? :D

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
There's no way I'd want that thing on my bike at all times. That was my problem with hard luggage. I don't want obtrusive racks on my bike when I'm not using them.

I have the Yamaha tail rack on my bike, and it doesn't look half bad without the big ugly Givi box installed.

FZ6+Rear+Luggage+Rack.jpg

Here it is on my FZ6:
fz6_with_new_swingarm_Nov_15_2009.jpg

That said, I leave the big ugly Givi box on the bike 99% of the time, as it's just soooo convenient.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I tested the US20 in the rain today, and arrived at work with totally dry contents.

I've also been taking off the straps with the alloy hooks and just taking them with me. They're a cinch to connect and disconnect. Plus the bottom net pocket is a great placed to store them when I'm off the bike.

typezstg

Reaction score
Visit site
@Joe: I loved my Kriega US-20 when I had it on my previous bike, but I'm still stumped as to how to mount the straps to the subframe in a way where the bag wont flop around or the straps too recessed to hook my alloys on easily (or maybe I'm just an idiot...:D) How did you mount the straps on the subframe? Think you could show us some pics too?

Thanks! =D

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My order gets in on Tuesday , waiting ....... Sucks
I am really keen to hear what you think of that bag.

I am currently on my second RoadSack ( a bag I think is only available in Australia, in the reviews I'm Adrian)

Road Sack - Motorcycle Backpack, Daypack, rucksack. High Visibility Backpack

anyway at 15 litres I can fill it pretty quick. I use it everyday and the general construction is good and its pretty water proof but sometimes I need bigger
Really want to know how the shoulder straps feel when you are not riding, coz I will want to use it as an ancillary/day pack when I come to the states in December
I'll watch out for your comments

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
@Joe: I loved my Kriega US-20 when I had it on my previous bike, but I'm still stumped as to how to mount the straps to the subframe in a way where the bag wont flop around or the straps too recessed to hook my alloys on easily (or maybe I'm just an idiot...:D) How did you mount the straps on the subframe? Think you could show us some pics too?

Thanks! =D

It's all good. I struggled with this at first before I realized there's really only 1 place to attach them, which is under the seat!

Here's a pic with the seat off. I thought there might be an issue with the vinyl straps and plastic buckles so close to the exhaust, though after a few hundred miles they're still in perfect condition.

20120817_032634.jpg

Here's a pic with the seat on. They are barely noticeable, yet it is fairly easy for me to hook/unhook the alloys. I had them installed with my stock seat and my TS seat, so you shouldn't have a problem. Hope this helps!

20120817_032440.jpg

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I am really keen to hear what you think of that bag.

I am currently on my second RoadSack ( a bag I think is only available in Australia, in the reviews I'm Adrian)

Road Sack - Motorcycle Backpack, Daypack, rucksack. High Visibility Backpack

anyway at 15 litres I can fill it pretty quick. I use it everyday and the general construction is good and its pretty water proof but sometimes I need bigger
Really want to know how the shoulder straps feel when you are not riding, coz I will want to use it as an ancillary/day pack when I come to the states in December
I'll watch out for your comments

Before I got the kriega, I rode with a backpack every day. They are very convenient, however can suck if you have anything heavy to carry. With the kriega, I have no more back pain after riding home from the grocery store. Plus with a backpack on, you get basically no airflow to your back. I would arrive at work (dress shirt under my jacket) and my back would have a giant sweat spot under the backpack. Not good walking into an office with that!

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha tail rack on my bike, and it doesn't look half bad without the big ugly Givi box installed.

FZ6+Rear+Luggage+Rack.jpg

Here it is on my FZ6:
fz6_with_new_swingarm_Nov_15_2009.jpg

That said, I leave the big ugly Givi box on the bike 99% of the time, as it's just soooo convenient.

Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? I've been really wanting this rack but the dealership said it's only available in European markets.

typezstg

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I got the kriega, I rode with a backpack every day. They are very convenient, however can suck if you have anything heavy to carry. With the kriega, I have no more back pain after riding home from the grocery store. Plus with a backpack on, you get basically no airflow to your back. I would arrive at work (dress shirt under my jacket) and my back would have a giant sweat spot under the backpack. Not good walking into an office with that!

Thanks for the pics Joe! I'll try it out tonight.

I agree with Joe. I love that the 20L makes the bag able to eat up a LOT of stuff, even though it doesn't look that big from the outside. The waterproofing is awesome, rode with it a few times in the rain, but it does make taking things out/putting them back in on the bike a bit more challenging since you have to roll up the opening.

The alloy hooks are really helpful and make putting the bag on/off the bike a breeze. However, I haven't been able to figure out a good way to carry the bag off the bike without having to take those straps off and put them in the bag. Would have been nice if there were loops on the bag to just hook the alloys on without having to take them off and keeping things looking tidy.

Off the bike you just carry it like a messenger bag, but I wouldn't say it is as comfortable as some other bags I have tried. Still don't regret buying it at all and I would definitely buy it again.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i went for a quick 200 miler today with my pack on, and I had it loaded with a rain jacket, water, snacks and still had room to spare. It did not feel heavy at all and no strain on my shoulders. It does block off some of the ventilation to the back of my jacket. After fifteen minutes I forgot the thing was on my back, its not distracting at all.