Just took a BUZZARD BIRD to the helmet at 60 mph!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Incredible!!!! Glad you are OK.

Would love to see a photo of the helmet - time for a new one as I would expect a hit like that probably compressed the foam lining and it may not be ready to go a 2nd time.

Speaking of helmets, what are everyone's thoughts about a good cool summer helmet.

Surprisingly the helmet just has a few scuffs on it...though most of the impact I felt was on my forehead hairline area so I do not doubt there was some foam compression. I'm due for a helmet upgrade anyway, been looking at Icons.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have to tell me! :D

I keep playing over the scenario in my head and impacting a 6 lb object at 60 mph is no joke. If it had struck me in the face shield I could very well have a broken neck and would almost certainly have come off the bike at 60mph, probably while unconscious.

If it had struck my fairing I would at very least have a lot of broken pieces to replace.

If it had struck my brake lever, or clutch lever that could have put me down.

If I had locked up the brakes I would have either gone down or have been rear ended by that utility truck.

So i think its safe to say, great riding skills + someone up above watching over you = WIN!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
So i think its safe to say, great riding skills + someone up above watching over you = WIN!

This. But I'm not saying I have great riding skills. I do feel that something like this could cause even the best rider to crash because it's completely unsuspected. You are always scanning for cars, pedestrians, deer, obstacles in the road....now you also have to scan for flying objects or objects that may become flying objects as you approach them. :BLAA:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap dude, that is quite a bird you hit ... with your head! A visit to the doc may be in order ...

Prudence should always prevail with head and neck injuries ...