lean questions

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still very new to riding (5 months experience and 4k miles on my '09)

Alright, I searched and read some info but I have not gotten a straight answer.

I was taking an extreme S turn off ramp at posted speeds and concentrating on my lean. I was in it very comfortably, but then it all went wrong. I didn't hear anything touch the ground, and I could very well have bounced on imperfections but I stood it up and got through the turn at a wider exit than I wanted. In the back of my head I am always worried about running out of tire and sliding out, and that doesn't help at all either.

Anywho, I am wondering what exactly will hit first.. will I have an audible scraping from my peg feelers or stand before I run out of tire on the factory '09 tires? Also, I feel like my toes are going to hit and disrupt my turn. Should I be riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs or closer to the controls?

It looks as though I have 1-2mm of rear tire unused on each side but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance
Sorry for the book :)

Last edited:
Balls of your feet, yes. Pegs will scrape first...no biggie.

You are no where near the edge of performance so focus on your riding, not the bike.

Yeah I know I will never push it to its' limits.. just in the back of my mind I feel like I'll hit sidewall and slide out while turning suddenly without any warning like pegs hitting.

If you look at the drivers pegs, they fold up, they do this so when you lean too much that i the bike's way of telling you the lean is too great. Nothing wrong with the bike, just be safe! ATGATT:thumbup:

The only time you should think of your tires failing is if they are brand new (500miles or less) or they need to be replaced, so no worrys there and try not ti think about your leaning either just keep your eyes focused on where you want the bike to go and it will go there

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

I know this may be slightly off your direct topic, but do yourself a favor and read Twist of the Wrist II or get the DVD. It will likely help you to understand how to corner better.

So you are telling me I will end up dragging my peg feelers before i low side the bike due to taking on so much lean angle?

That's what it seems like is the case, which means I have a lot more progress to make. :thumbup:

As long as something will drag before I lowside I can get this off my mind and more than likely have one less thing to worry about as i try looking through my roundabout turns lol

The only time you should think of your tires failing is if they are brand new (500miles or less) or they need to be replaced, so no worrys there and try not ti think about your leaning either just keep your eyes focused on where you want the bike to go and it will go there

Or are using crappy Dun-flop sportmax stock versys tires, have 1/4" chicken strips and they slipped on me 3 times (twice at 75% tread), looking forward to replacing them hehe

Or are using crappy Dun-flop sportmax stock versys tires, have 1/4" chicken strips and they slipped on me 3 times (twice at 75% tread), looking forward to replacing them hehe

Ya or I think I would look foward to upgrading as well or be buying life insurance...lol

That's what my 09 R1 came with and although I only had 70-80 miles on them I got them to give going down Montezuma Valley Road. :eek: Put a set of Stones on it that week! :rockon:

And yes you'll eat pegs and stands first if you're on decent rubber, the rubber is warmed up and you're on a clean surface. Keep in mind that exits entries, roundabouts can have other oils and coolants that will surprise you. Go practice in a big empty parking lot where you can find limits with out finding other vehicles and obstacles. Remember when you are in a turn your suspension is compressing from your weight and added inertia so you loose clearances. Of course ATGATT! :rockon:

So you are telling me I will end up dragging my peg feelers before i low side the bike due to taking on so much lean angle?

That's what it seems like is the case, which means I have a lot more progress to make. :thumbup:

As long as something will drag before I lowside I can get this off my mind and more than likely have one less thing to worry about as i try looking through my roundabout turns lol

Another good book is Sport Riding Techniques. Covers many aspects of riding.

You've got plenty of lean left when you drag the peg feelers.

If you only have 1-2mm of chicken strips on your rear tire, then I have no advice for you and you suck and I hate you.
:BLAA:

If you only have 1-2mm of chicken strips on your rear tire, then I have no advice for you and you suck and I hate you.
:BLAA:

Angry bro? lol jk I got my license in march of this year along with an '09 leftover. I guess I caught on somewhat quickly? Just gotta practice practice practice:thumbup:

You've got plenty of lean left when you drag the peg feelers.

If you look at the drivers pegs, they fold up, they do this so when you lean too much that i the bike's way of telling you the lean is too great. Nothing wrong with the bike, just be safe! ATGATT:thumbup:

And yes you'll eat pegs and stands first if you're on decent rubber, the rubber is warmed up and you're on a clean surface. Keep in mind that exits entries, roundabouts can have other oils and coolants that will surprise you. Go practice in a big empty parking lot where you can find limits with out finding other vehicles and obstacles. Remember when you are in a turn your suspension is compressing from your weight and added inertia so you loose clearances. Of course ATGATT! :rockon:

I appreciate all the info this forum has to offer! This is what I like to hear:rockon:

Angry bro? lol jk I got my license in march of this year along with an '09 leftover. I guess I caught on somewhat quickly? Just gotta practice practice practice:thumbup:

I appreciate all the info this forum has to offer! This is what I like to hear:rockon:

I didnt catch that at first but with him mentioning about your chicken strips...do you realize that your average pen roller is about 2mm or about the size of a period when printed out on paper so....a bit of a exaggeration I think????

The only time you want to put down lean angles near the edge of the tires are on familiar roads that you can see through the corner. Amazing what a little patch of gravel can do when you are at extreme angles and committed to the corner!

Body position is key. You can corner faster at less of a lean angle if you have proper body position.

So on the topic of dragging pegs, I have a question or two for those who've done it a lot. I'm now at 41k miles on the 07, and am finally starting to drag pegs with some regularity. It's always on very familiar roads with long sight lines, and it happens once or twice a month when everything's "just right"... nobody's in front of me, conditions are good, roads are clean and dry, etc.

Here's the thing... when it does happen, it still makes me react jerkily. I tense up, I lift my foot, and I stand up out of the lean a little and scrub some speed. It's nothing terribly unsafe - I'm not asking about that. I guess my question is, when you drag a peg, do you let it sit there and grind along for 5, 10, 15 feet? Or is it a quick touch-and-done thing? Sometimes the peg gently and slowly comes into contact with the ground, and sometimes a small irregularity in the ashpalt whacks the peg as it goes by. I have a hard time imagining me letting it just drag along through the whole apex, somehow - I can feel everything on the road surface when it's happening, and it isn't a confidence-inspiring feeling. I need to know how to handle this smoothly and calmly. Practice? Stop leaning so far over? What do I do?

Im not speaking from experience but from from someone elses but I asked them "a very experienced rider on a r1"pretty much the same thing and they said dont act fast for starters if that is the only thing dragging let it drag that is what its there for and he went on to brag about how he has put 3 sets of pegs on because of the asphalt eating them up. He also mentioned that when he is riding hard theyll pretty much drag in every corner for the duration of the corner

Im not speaking from experience but from from someone elses but I asked them "a very experienced rider on a r1"pretty much the same thing and they said dont act fast for starters if that is the only thing dragging let it drag that is what its there for and he went on to brag about how he has put 3 sets of pegs on because of the asphalt eating them up. He also mentioned that when he is riding hard theyll pretty much drag in every corner for the duration of the corner

This is spot on. One of the main reasons for hinged pegs is so they will give when they make contact and not cause your rear wheel to loose traction!

Back