Leather break in - the stupid way??

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be an alcohol fueled and very stupid question, but can you break in new leather by tumbling it in the dryer? No heat of course. Just wondering, feel free to kick my @ss if I'm being a dolt.

:Flash:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be an alcohol fueled and very stupid question, but can you break in new leather by tumbling it in the dryer? No heat of course. Just wondering, feel free to kick my @ss if I'm being a dolt.

I honestly do not know, but...

You could try something like Saddle Soap. I used it on my gloves and it softened the leather up nicely.

Saddle soap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

the short answer is yea.

Years back I worked a factory that embossed leather. That is, used a high pressure press and dies to make cow hide look like other hides, elephant, ostrich, snake skin ect.. We did many other processes and one of those was softening leather for products like hand bags and jackets. The 'machine' that did that was a huge wooden drum @ 16 feet in diameter and 5 feet wide. Inside were wooden paddles much like you see in a dryer. The drum was loaded with hides and tumbled for days.

It would take a long time to tumble a jacket or other leather item in a dryer to break it in. but it is do able. You should have a couple other heavy items in there with it to beat it up a bit more. A couple of 4x4 by 4 to 8 inch boards would work well. round the corners/edges. But you will ruin the dryer

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I heard a long time ago that water helps dont know how accurate this is. Put them on and get in the shower :D

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the dryer isn't so crazy after all...:eek:

I'll have to try something like Saddle Soap. I have a 2 day ride soming up next weekend and would rather soften up the leather before hand. Maybe it'll be soft enough when I get it...I've found TourMaster and Cortech clothes generally have pretty good leather.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Dainese leather jacket is 6 years old and it still isn't that soft, I guess some just don't soften. It is comfortable in the riding position though so that's all that counts.