LED turn lights "flickering"

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, asking more technical people for an opinion - I have just converted to naked and created a replacement harness for the one that runs inside the cowling of the faired model - the turn signals work (same as before - rizomas), but there is flickering that is visible during "off" stage. Here is the video:

[video=youtube_share;4GsXrxUXREQ]https://youtu.be/4GsXrxUXREQ[/video]

I didn't even notice the issue at first when i was testing it in sunlight.

Do you think it's a miswiring? I've done quite a bit of testing, and all looked good.

Thanks!

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
I would put a bit more resistance in the circuit and see if the flickering settles down. Just put a bulb back in parallel with the LED indicators, the original bulb indication should be enough to try it. If that works you may need to permanently put a bit more resistance in each circuit to burn off the flicker.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They should be made for the full on nominal 12-15 nominal voltage the bike has which would mean there is no additional resistance needed. Some Rizoma indicator lights use a series resistor. Do Not Remove those series resistors! I've seen some other directional LED units do this and I they are designed that way to get more attention. I don't think anything is wrong with those. If both sides are the same I'm betting it's designed into the circuit and I wish I had that type of flashing for my directional. When your flasher is off there should be no no flicker? Also the flicker rate is steady repeating as is the flash rate rate. They look really good! :)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They came with modules inline (not sure if they are resistors or something more complex), and I kept them. The thing is, I've had these signals before and there was no issue, so I'm certain, it's something I did in replacing the harness. The other symptom is that indicators on dash flicker as well, so whatever is happening is happening in entire chain, on both sides (both positive and negative wires go through the modules), not just on turn signals alone.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They came with modules inline (not sure if they are resistors or something more complex), and I kept them. The thing is, I've had these signals before and there was no issue, so I'm certain, it's something I did in replacing the harness. The other symptom is that indicators on dash flicker as well, so whatever is happening is happening in entire chain, on both sides (both positive and negative wires go through the modules), not just on turn signals alone.

Do you have an electronic flasher relay? I've seen one electronic flasher relay do this. I don't know if it was designed that way. Unplug your flasher relay and put your turn signal on. Test the right side then the left side. Make a little jumper and put the jumper across the 2 pin plug to your flasher relay, Do the lights light steady when power is applied? If so it's the flasher relay doing the deed.
If all the lights on the flasher circuit do this it's the flasher relay. :)

I still like the way it blinks like that..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think they are designed to do that?

I've seen some flasher relays do this and I believe they're designed to do that. You'd probably not see the function with incandescent type lamps but because the LED can turn on and of so fast you can see it.:)

My stop lights do this on purpose. They blink on and off a few times and then stay steady on as long as I have the brake applied. This occurs each time I apply the brakes. It really grabs attention.
Goop (Bryan) has one of these brake light modulators and when I would ride in a group with him, my attention would always go to his brake light first over the other riders because of the modulation.
It's good to get attention in some cases.....not in others.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=13124]Smersh[/MENTION] Did you get to check the flasher relay?

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked and it looks like it was the relay (or its connector) - during conversion to naked, I relocated the relay (it was already an LED-compatible relay) I had, which sat under fairing on he left to inside the frame and wrapped it in tape. I was checking the connection, moved the relay around and the blinking went back to normal, so it looks like it was the relay - I may order a replacement just in case.