Liquid Wrench for chain lube?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Ran out of Dupont so I went to buy more and Lowe's is completely out of it....employee had no idea when they'd get more in but said the Liquid Wrench Multi-Purpose was basically the same. Can anyone comfirm whether I can use this or not?

pACE3-5758567dt.jpg

# Auto, home, marine and shop lubricant
# Reduces friction in all metal to metal, and metal to plastic
# Protects against rust and corrosion
# Will not melt, freeze or wash off

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Not sure how well this will work. I'm always leary of "multi-purpose" products. Unless it specifically says can be used on motorcycle chains, I wouldn't use it.

I'm a big believer in using the proper products that are specifically designed for a specific job. Not to mention I don't do much shopping for motorcycle items at a 'hardware store'....

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how well this will work. I'm always leary of "multi-purpose" products. Unless it specifically says can be used on motorcycle chains, I wouldn't use it.

I'm a big believer in using the proper products that are specifically designed for a specific job. Not to mention I don't do much shopping for motorcycle items at a 'hardware store'....

Yeah I didn't have high hopes (not that Lowe's employees aren't endless supplies of knowledge when it comes to chemicals...) but I've always used the DuPont Teflon stuff, was just wondering if anyone had tried it. I guess I'll pony up a few more bucks and buy some real chain wax for a change.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
You got me curious, so I did a little research.

According to the material safety data sheet, the product contains the following ingredients, with the number ranges after each being the percentage it compromises:

1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 95-63-6 0.1 - 1.0
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent 8052-41-3 7.0 - 13.0
Carbon dioxide 124-38-9 1.0 - 5.0
Lithium Grease Proprietary 10.0 - 30.0
Low Odor Base Solvent Proprietary 1.0 - 5.0
Mesitylene 108-67-8 0.1 - 1.0
Naphthenic Petroleum Distillate 64742-52-5 10.0 - 30.0
Tetrachloroethylene 127-18-4 40.0 - 70.0
Xylene (mixed isomers) 1330-20-7 0.1 - 1.0

Now, if CHEMIKER joins this thread, he can probably explain what all this stuff is much better than I can, but I looked up the top two components: lithium grease and naphthenic petroleum distillate.

The second is basically mineral oil, and lithium grease is, according to wikipedia, grease that had lithium added (go figure). This supposedly increases the performance. It also adheres well to metal, is non-corrosive, and can be used under heavy loads, so the example in that article was using it for garage doors.

So it's basically mineral oil with some solvents (which is what WD-40 is) beefed up to endure higher loads and temperatures.

So can you safely use it on your chain? Probably. If you're an "early adopter" of new things, give it a try and let us know after a long while if you were getting unusually fast chain/sprocket wear. This could be useful in possibly replacing the DuPont stuff, which folks are finding increasingly difficult to locate.

Personally, I'm more inclined to use a product designed for the job, or as with the DuPont product (which is what I use) after other people have used it for a while.

Hope this helps in your decision!

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
You got me curious, so I did a little research.....

Tetrachloroethylene 127-18-4 40.0 - 70.0...

This is the chemical to be concerned about. 40-70% concentration and its incompatible with most elastomers. It might cause severe damage to the o-rings. I would NOT use this product on a motorcycle chain.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not use any form of multi purpose lube that is not o-ring safe. A standard motorcycle chain will survive just fine, but an o-ring chain needs a special lube to help keeps the o-rings from cracking, and provide some wear protection to the chain/sprockets.

Check on line, I know you can buy the DuPont Teflon and the new DuPont "Chain Saver" online. The Chain Saver is a thicker formula of the dry Teflon lube.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the chemical to be concerned about. 40-70% concentration and its incompatible with most elastomers. It might cause severe damage to the o-rings. I would NOT use this product on a motorcycle chain.

Good catch! :thumbup: I did some more googling/wiki-ing (forgive me, it's been almost 2 decades since univeristy) and found that for at least one brand the o-rings are nitrile-based, which according to that means we're mixing an organic solvent with an organic material?

Following the manual and letting others experiment with experimental use outside that still seems like a good idea. :Flash:

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site

+1

My wife is a chemist and said it is a solvent and will quite possibly eat rubber and plastic. That being said. Run...

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Dupont Teflon/Silicone spray when I run out of the Dupont Teflon Multi Use Fluoropolymer spray. They're usually side by side at Lowe's. I now have 25k on the chain and so far so good with no apparent linkage/oring wear and chain stretch has been minimal and still has 3/4 inch of adjustment left if needed. Both are oring safe according to the labels.

They sell both at Amazon.com for about $4.99 for 11 oz. cans:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Performance-Lubricants-Multi-Use-Fluoropolymer/dp/B000GL19TY/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_b[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Performance-Silicone-Lubricant-Aerosol/dp/B000RGZHFA/ref=pd_sim_auto_2[/ame]

Last edited:

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i used to use the liquid wrench chain lube and that stuff was garbage. it would just sling off the chain and get all over the place and burn. i will never use any liquid wrench product in the future.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
if there's nothing else around, I imagine motor oil would work. I remember once, while on a 4 day tour on my way home from Death Valley, I stopped at a m/c dealership on 395 and purchased a can of chain lube. Later, during my ride, I kept on hearing a noise but couldn't figure out what it was. Finally, it dawned on me that it was the rattle insede the can of chain lube! I was relieved that it wasn't something coming loose on the FZ6. (Future long rides--I make sure that it's not a rattle can chain lube)