Looking to buy a 2007 FZ6

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy an 07 Yamaha fz6 but want to know if there are any inherent problems with the bike, be it electrical, mechanical or anything else I should be aware of. Any information helps, I'm looking for a bike that I'm going to own for a while and want to keep and hope this might be it.

Thanks.

nemo961

Reaction score
Visit site
If maintained right I think these bikes are bulletproof ;)

I've only changed oil/oil filter and checked the chain and air filter on mine and it has just under 20k miles on it. Some people on this forum have posted mileage of over 100k with nothing but normal maintenance and check ups. i.e. valve clearance, cam chair...

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
You can find problems with any of the most reliable bikes. The FZ6 is one of them. It's a very good all around bike with good power. Don't sweat the small problems you read or you will end up not buying any bike.

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that's true, I'm basically just looking to see if there's any major known issues with the FZ6. I don't know if this helps but the bike I'm looking at is an 07 FZ6 with 25,000 km's, the biggest mods are a Devil aftermarket exhaust and K&N air filter, hi/Lo beam modulator, fender eliminator kit, belly pan. The guy is asking $4,700 CAD certified. Does that sound like a good deal?

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a red '07 with less than 11,000 miles on it. I'm downsizing back to one bike. FZ just needs a front tire. Fender eliminator, Two Brothers Racing exhaust and a smoked Puig touring windshield are the only mods. Never been down. I'll let it go for $4200 USD.

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that's true, I'm basically just looking to see if there's any major known issues with the FZ6. I don't know if this helps but the bike I'm looking at is an 07 FZ6 with 25,000 km's, the biggest mods are a Devil aftermarket exhaust and K&N air filter, hi/Lo beam modulator, fender eliminator kit, belly pan. The guy is asking $4,700 CAD certified. Does that sound like a good deal?

That must be a dealer because $4700 is about $1000 too high. This time of year you should be able to pick up an '07 for around no more than $4000. Mods really don't up the value of a bike any even though the sellers will try to tell you different. I would look around some more or see if they will go down on their price at all.
As far as the bike goes like everybody else is saying as long as fluids are changed regularly they are pretty bulletproof. People do complain about the abrubt throttle but that is more due to the fact that it is fuel injected than the bike itself. Also the clutch takes some getting used to but again not a big deal. All in all it's a pretty good all around bike and looks good too with lots of mods out there if you so choose to do it.

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input, every bit helps. I have done some shopping around in the Province of Ontario and this one has the lowest kilometers on it for the price near me, otherwise I'd have to drive at least a couple hours to look at another one in that price range and year.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
About the only wear and tear issue with the 07-09 bikes, the front brake seals tend to harden up (even with low miles) after 4-5 years. The front brakes will drag more than normal.

Simply getting the front wheel up (on the centerstand), someone leaning on the back of the seat, then spin the ft wheel by hand. You should get at least 1/2 to 3/4 a turn with the original seals. New seals, expect 3-4.5 full turns...

The rt handle bar, RED, kill switch on ALL FZ's, if used, tend to wear out and have a bad connection. Its easily by-passed or just don't use it (and it likely won't be an issue)

The other things you researched on (great job BTW) are one off issues, alot of them from the PO or mechanic not knowing what he's doing, assembling something wrong, etc.

Other than that its really a bullet proof bike.

The 04 and some 05's had a TPS recall, nothing on the 06 and up bikes...

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would look around a bit more. I just sold my 08 for 4500 but had tons of expensive mods and half the mileage. Offer him 4000 if your sure the maintaince has been performed. It's not a good time of year to sell a bike.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to remember that CAD $ and USD $ are not the same. That price may actually be pretty good in CAD, especially since everything costs more in Canada.

The throttle and clutch issues are often pointed at as a flaw but in many of these cases, simply keeping your clutch and throttle cables lubricated correctly and remove, clean and lubricate the throttle grip guide will make a huge difference in throttle feel. My 2006 is smooth as silk on/off throttle, as long as you don't chop it.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
You have to remember that CAD $ and USD $ are not the same. That price may actually be pretty good in CAD, especially since everything costs more in Canada.

+1

I'm in the Montreal area and just picked my 08 with 15k km for 5000$, new tires. I'd say i got decent deal as many 04-05 FZ's here are going for 4K to 5K$ with reasonable mileage.

My FZ replaces my mint 04 Katana 750, and so far, I'm loving this bike.

Good luck in your purchase/search.

whynot

Rust never sleeps.
Reaction score
Visit site
My new-to-me 07 FZ6 came with a Throttle Tamer throttle tube installed, read all about it here:

G2 Ergonomics - Throttle Tubes and Moto Parts

That should take care of any abrupt throttle issues. I have one on my Ducati, too, great product.

Sure sounds like the prices are different in Canada. I just got my FZ6 August 3, the PO was unable to find a buyer at $3K USD for the bike, good condition, under 11K miles. (I was selling my Triumph Street Triple R, he *had* to have it, so I kind of took his FZ in trade, which worked out for both of us.)

Don't Panic

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my '07 with 17k km cert. for $4500, but this was beginning of season. Plus it was immaculate. CAD motorcycles are much more expensive than US.