Lost 1st 2nd and neutral for a while

ComaTox

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all lovely people. I have a well maintained FZ6 Fazer 2006 with just 10k miles. Today in a nearly freezing day we decided to go for a short spin. Few mins down the road I realised that I cannot downshift and the lowest gear I can get to is the third. I could freely shift up and down 3 -6th no problem. Lower gears could not be selected, it felt like spongy gear selector and like it should move further to get the gear in, but it doesn't. So at one point we stopped for a coffee, as you do, and I killed the engine. Me stuck in 3rd. I bump started the bike in 3rd and was on the way to see a garage, 5miles later shifting came back. I can now shift again 1-6 no problem. Any ideas? What just happened? I thought the gear selector fork maybe is bent, but now it's all behaving normal

Any advice or feedback is welcome. Thanks

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if a bearing or bushing associated with second gear was jammed or frozen (mechanically), causing it not to slide side-to-side. Just curious, how old is the oil? I’ve experienced poor shifting when the oil is old (but never non-shifting).

ComaTox

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if a bearing or bushing associated with second gear was jammed or frozen (mechanically), causing it not to slide side-to-side. Just curious, how old is the oil? I’ve experienced poor shifting when the oil is old (but never non-shifting).
I replaced oil in July along with filter. Using Motul 5100 10w40 . I did about 8000km on it. So I guess soon time to change oil, but still ...
Bike was parked outside day before under a heavy cover, so I guess it could have been the case, I mean frozen internals?!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not frozen from temperature, frozen from corrosion, deformity or foreign object. When you change the oil why not run it through a coffee filter to see if there is any metal in it. Also, cut open the filter and look for FOD in the paper pleats.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also make sure your pedal shift linkage is lubricated and free of any impedance. Inspect that linkage for any possible damage or improper adjustment. That linkage should always be able to return to it's relaxed position.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you let the clutch out slightly(engine running) , then back in and try shifting?

Often, just rotating (doing the above), the transmission shafts, allow gears to line up and move.

Plus one on lubing the long, adjustable shift rod ends.

***Lastly, MAKE sure when pushing the shifter down, no part (moving parts) are NOT hitting the frame. If the shifter adjustment is too extreme (interference), you won't be able to down shift.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought of the shift linkage, but thought it strange the 3rd and above could be engaging, both up and down, but there was a hard stop at 2nd...that mysteriously cleared itself. That makes me believe there was a jam of some type.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about this. If you do decide to strain the oil to look for metal, you will have to strain it through a cheese cloth or something similar. A coffee filter will clog in seconds.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Draining into a nice super clean container will show any "shiney" in the light.

That is if the filter didn't catch it already..

I suspect his linkage is off a tad and being cold out that day, was just enough to
have the issue arise. That or linkages sticking a tad, again, due to the cold.

Nothing a "letting out a little clutch", then shifting wouldn't have "fixed"..

Probably won't happen again. It would be nice if the op replied back with an update-
Seems, that ain't happening..

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have filtered a lot of oil through coffee filters. Yes, the flow is slow and gets slower the more oil passes through it (it needs to be left overnight), but it will catch even the finest mist of debris.