M22 Leelanau Peninsula/Traverse City

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally did M22 around the Leelanau Peninsula and Traverse City, MI the weekend of July 19th. I have been wanting to do this ride ever since I got my first bike and it did not disappoint! I took off with a buddy from my families cottage in the Baldwin area on Saturday morning and took M37 north to M55 where we picked up M22 and took that all the way around the Leelanau Peninsula to Traverse City where we stopped for a late lunch before heading up to the end of M37 and the lighthouse at Mission Point. After that we took 37 back to the cottage and then home to Grand Rapids Sunday morning.
The road was unbelievably smooth with plenty of sweepers, sharp turns, lazy turns, hills, and views of Lake Michigan galore. The only time it got boring was when I got stuck behind a cruiser but I tried to make the best of it and enjoy the scenery. This is one ride I definitely have to do again!
Here are a few pictures from the ride. Sorry they are not more scenic but since it was my first time I was not sure of the best places to stop and take pictures. The other bike in the photos is my buddies Kawasaki ZRX 1200. The lighthouse is at Mission point as well as the picture of the cabin(not sure what it was other than just a cabin, it was cool though!)
The odd picture in the series I added because my daughters found a rabbits nest in the backyard and they wanted to hold one so I took a photo. Plus I think its a cool photo!:D

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics and description. Sounds like lots of fun and I'm envious. Have been wanting to take a long road trip for several years - this year my long road trip was Birmingham to Sarasota via I75. No smooth sweeping corners, no sharp turns, a few lazy hills but still I was on the bike and enjoying riding. Did have a little bit of excitment when the two south Georgia deputies went screaming by with lights on headed to give out driving awards to a Hemi Challanger and a Jaguar (both with temporary tags).

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those cruisers can be worse than cars when stuck behind!! Sounds like a great ride. I have heard a lot of good things about the riding up there. I would also like to hit the tunnel of trees!!

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Those cruisers can be worse than cars when stuck behind!! Sounds like a great ride. I have heard a lot of good things about the riding up there. I would also like to hit the tunnel of trees!!

Yep the great thing about a curvy road is also it's downfall, not too many places to pass especially if trying to pass more than one vehicle. And as we all know cruisers are a pack animal, where there's one, there's many! I also want to do the Tunnel of Trees but that was another hour and a half north and the day was growing short. Definitely on my list for next year though!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pictures. Here's a fuzzy on the go picture from the T of T road.

IMG_0158_zpsb2b443cb.jpg

I was up through that area and rode the Tunnel of Trees on my to the UP in September of 09. Had a ball on those roads and by mid September the traffic was real quiet. Some of the best roads in the northern mid west are up there.