March MODness!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode twice in January, once a few days ago. I'm itching so bad to be actively out there on two wheels... So while I should have been planning, purchasing, and installing since December, I didn't and here I am... desperate to get things ordered and on the bike for spring riding.

Already ordered:
FAZR 6 FE that will be used to clean up the rear and connect to the (modified) TB FE that I don't like. It's been soooo long since I've heard the TB sing.

Going to order:
FZ1 bars... happy wrists, all for $40.
To-be-named grips.
Coolant... not a mod but it should be flushed
Pads, fluid, and SS lines*
Helmet for the Mrs. Pook
Sena SMH10 (possibly - might have to wait for xmas on this one)
Chain wax... I'm done with liquid wrench lube.
A case of some sort.... still don't know what.
PR3s (later in season)

* So I think I'm good on all items except the brake lines. The original pads (17k) are quite worn and squeak. I'm not sure what the minimum thickness is (anyone?), but I'm all but certain they'll have to be done this season.

I'm pretty set on SS lines, as I don't want to have to replace them every three years. By the looks of things, HEL is the way to go. Can someone describe to me what the difference between 'over the fender' and 'full length "race"'?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the stock brake lines, there is one line coming from the master cylinder and splitting near the fender into two lines that go to each brake. Race brake lines have two complete lines going directly from the master cylinder to the brakes. IMO, the over the fender ones are better simply because you'll have less clutter. As far as performance between the two, I have no idea.

BTW, the stock brake lines don't really need to be replaced every three years. If you change the fluid about once a year, they can easily last twice that. My stock lines are just fine and show no signs of cracking or hardening.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode twice in January, once a few days ago. I'm itching so bad to be actively out there on two wheels... So while I should have been planning, purchasing, and installing since December, I didn't and here I am... desperate to get things ordered and on the bike for spring riding.

Already ordered:
FAZR 6 FE that will be used to clean up the rear and connect to the (modified) TB FE that I don't like. It's been soooo long since I've heard the TB sing.

Going to order:
FZ1 bars... happy wrists, all for $40.
To-be-named grips.
Coolant... not a mod but it should be flushed
Pads, fluid, and SS lines*
Helmet for the Mrs. Pook
Sena SMH10 (possibly - might have to wait for xmas on this one)
Chain wax... I'm done with liquid wrench lube.
A case of some sort.... still don't know what.
PR3s (later in season)

* So I think I'm good on all items except the brake lines. The original pads (17k) are quite worn and squeak. I'm not sure what the minimum thickness is (anyone?), but I'm all but certain they'll have to be done this season.

I'm pretty set on SS lines, as I don't want to have to replace them every three years. By the looks of things, HEL is the way to go. Can someone describe to me what the difference between 'over the fender' and 'full length "race"'?

motorcyclegear.com has some very good discounts on helmets right now. I received the newsletter email few hours ago. Check it out.

If your brakes squeak it doesn't mean that the pads are worn. Check them out to be sure though. To eliminate the squeak get some brake caliper grease. you put it on the outside of the pads and it should eliminate the problem of noisy squeaks.

SS lines HEL or Venhill lines are the way to go.

I got a set of race SS lines from HEL for something like $45 and about $40 for the rear from Venhill. I am yet to install them. Weather lately has been utter shiete here in NYC.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the stock brake lines, there is one line coming from the master cylinder and splitting near the fender into two lines that go to each brake. Race brake lines have two complete lines going directly from the master cylinder to the brakes. IMO, the over the fender ones are better simply because you'll have less clutter. As far as performance between the two, I have no idea.

BTW, the stock brake lines don't really need to be replaced every three years. If you change the fluid about once a year, they can easily last twice that. My stock lines are just fine and show no signs of cracking or hardening.

Ohhh. That makes sense. They're the same price for either kit. I'll have to think on which ones to get.

And replacing fluid every year?? I'm pretty sure I'm running original. What's the recommendation? 2 years?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
motorcyclegear.com has some very good discounts on helmets right now. I received the newsletter email few hours ago. Check it out.

If your brakes squeak it doesn't mean that the pads are worn. Check them out to be sure though. To eliminate the squeak get some brake caliper grease. you put it on the outside of the pads and it should eliminate the problem of noisy squeaks.

SS lines HEL or Venhill lines are the way to go.

I got a set of race SS lines from HEL for something like $45 and about $40 for the rear from Venhill. I am yet to install them. Weather lately has been utter shiete here in NYC.

Thanks for the info. And $45? The fronts were $98 when I checked on HEL today.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. And $45? The fronts were $98 when I checked on HEL today.

Yeah!

It was an incredible deal when I saw it.

I will look for the invoice and I can post it here. Maybe they will match the price I got them for. They should, considering I bought them directly from them, lol.

Xdsxc

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Spiegler race style SS brake lines and love them. Prior to I felt like the front brake was way too spongy feeling, despite being properly bled. I prefer the race style vs over the fender simply because its a lot easier to bleed I think (less spots for air to hide). It doesn't look cluttered at all IMO.