Midsummer is almost here!

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Any plans for Midsummer eve and Midsummer days? Or is it just an average weekend among others?

As 95% of Finnish population is heading away (most of them at the same time and by the same highway) from civilization to their summer cottages so that they can for three days get drunk like hell, beat their in-laws and drown in the lake shore at 3.57 a.m., I'm spending the weekend in town.

Since I'm going to spend the days driving around and want to find some new roads, I booked a hotel room from a town about 35 miles from Helsinki. A few of my friends live there so we have some plans for the evenings too. I'm kinda looking forward to it, so let's just hope that the weather isn't too bad (as it usually is at Midsummer).

W

wrightme43

so that they can for three days get drunk like hell, beat their in-laws and drown in the lake shore at 3.57 a.m., I'm spending the weekend in town.

This is a everyday thing here in KY. We dont really pick a day for it, LOL

No around here there is no recognition of midsummer as far as I know.

I hope you have fun, and take some pictures if you can. I would love to see more of Finland.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the 21st is a big day for the scandinavian countries, even a big holiday I believe. I was in Gotenberg Sweden on the 21st a few years ago while I was working with Bruce Springsteen and I can recall that particular day, it was a major party. I remembered standing in line a huge line at a Mcdonald's at 5:30 in the morning, starving, after drinking all night, actually it never got dark. Oh, the good times.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Dancing round a big phallus while pretending to be a frog? No, we leave that for the Swedish people. Instead of maypole we burn big bonfires. It's a nice way to get rid of twigs, fallen branches, old boat, your eyebrows, sauna, house and 20 acres of wood (if it's dry enough for forest fires). Oh and all this should be done with help of considerable amount of alcohol in your system.

Here's the official story: Juhannus in english. Don't believe everything that's said.

And don't worry. If Finnish midsummer sounds lame compared to the Swedish one, there's always the Wife Carrying World Championships in Sonkajärvi. It's not the wierdest summer activity, though.

Ok, I'm off for the weekend. I'll post some pics when I get back.

W

wrightme43

Dancing round a big phallus while pretending to be a frog? No, we leave that for the Swedish people.

Sounds like your missing out on a good time.... LOL

I am a big fan of some fire. Hope you have fun this weekend.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
No frog-dancing this time, but I had fun anyway. The weather was perfect. On Friday I saw a deer as it ran over the road. Lucky me, it wasn't too close, only had to slow down. During the weekend I drove about 640 miles. I uploaded some pics on the photo gallery.

W

wrightme43

If you dont mind would you throw a little bit of story in with the pictures.
Glad you had fun.

anot

Reaction score
Visit site
Well in Sweden we have the bonfires on april 30th (called Valborgsmässoafton), everything has it's time and place. However from the link you (Bren) posted I can see that you do have a phallic symbol that really dwarves most of the swedish ones... And the frog thing, who doesn't think they look funny? I mean, they really don't have ears or a tail!

W

wrightme43

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkHm8uUuT0o[/nomedia]

Frog riding a invisable motorcycle. Oh yeah!

W

wrightme43

and another not to miss
[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be2AUvIZLtE[/nomedia]