Might be getting another FZ6!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can take the walk away pay out and then offer to purchase the damaged bike. There’s a $1,000 difference between the two values the insurance company offered you. I’d offer them $500 for the wrecked bike. Talk to the adjuster.

I see what you mean. In such a case, I assume that I need to title it to them and then back to me. Again, I am un-wise in this area..... Is this where a salvage title would be issued? If so, do you know what that means to me? I don't care about resale, but I wonder what this will do to my ability to insure the bike.

I will be talking to the adjuster today, but whatever inf you or the community can give me will help.

Thanks

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that is how a salvage title works. But if you are going to use the bike to cannibalize it for parts, you won’t need to re-register it. If you take the 3,600 payout you avoid the salvage title.

If you decide to buy your salvage bike for parts, the insurance company may require you to bid on your bike with others (usually scrap yards). They usually only want to pay $100...you should have no problem outbidding them.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"Either way, I'm getting another 6. Any color other than Blue :) "

The blue ones, as Scott says are faster. But they also bestow superhuman bike handling skills so that they crash less often.

But, if you're happy with those crash-prone silver ones, sounds like you can get about what you paid for it in 2012, then buy it back for cheap and have lots of money so you can afford some really good gear for sliding. :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"Either way, I'm getting another 6. Any color other than Blue :) "

The blue ones, as Scott says are faster. But they also bestow superhuman bike handling skills so that they crash less often.

But, if you're happy with those crash-prone silver ones, sounds like you can get about what you paid for it in 2012, then buy it back for cheap and have lots of money so you can afford some really good gear for sliding. :)

Ouch. I heard that the tires on the blue ones warm up more slowly :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that is how a salvage title works. But if you are going to use the bike to cannibalize it for parts, you won’t need to re-register it. If you take the 3,600 payout you avoid the salvage title.

If you decide to buy your salvage bike for parts, the insurance company may require you to bid on your bike with others (usually scrap yards). They usually only want to pay $100...you should have no problem outbidding them.

Thanks Gary. Definitely not parting her out. I will talk to the agent about insuring a salvage title. I am guessing that it will either be more difficult, more expensive, or both.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
....because the insurance company might total my 05 :-(

Long story short.... Went out for my morning ride at 07:00 last Friday. It all starts with a marvelous on-ramp about a mile from the house. On my way, I see there is a commuter bus ahead of me, and he will be taking the same ramp. I slow way down to gap him, knowing that when he hits the highway, the on ramp is clear. I need to go over the highway before the ramp, and I glance over to see the bus is on the highway and the on ramp is clear. I setup for the turn, get the bike leaned over and pitch into the turn......

.... it was either diesel or air conditioner condensate, and I just wash out into a gentle low side.

All good so far, the right side slider does its job. I tear up my Draggin jeans a bit, and I think the right sleeve on on my jacket rode up and exposed my forearm a bit. I got a scrape, not rash. But I jam my right shoulder. And that is all the good news.....

No longer turning, the bike slides straight towards the grassy median between my on ramp and the corresponding exit ramp. It tags the low curb and rolls over, breaking the windshield, denting the tank (from my tank bag and the bent FZ1 bar) and comes to rest on the left shoulder of the exit ramp, laying on its left side.

Damage seems to be typical..... front fairing, one inner panel, airing stay, headlight assembly, tank, rear grab handles. Noticed a drip under the headers. Need to assess to see if case is cracked, but can't imagine how that happened. My R6 forks never touched the ground and appear straight.

I am ok, healing up. Just pissed. I take good care of the bike will have a tough ti,e letting her go.

So in a few days I'll find out what challenge awaits me.

Ouch! How many miles on the bike? Yeah, serious fun, page IV in the handbook. LOL

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! How many miles on the bike? Yeah, serious fun, page IV in the handbook. LOL

Serious fun indeed. I can't remember how many times I said that. Oh, and NEVER forget ATTGAT!. The bike is sitting in the driveway with 67k miles, waiting for the new parts.......

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoulder reconstruction on 9/23. All bike parts in, all painting done but no reassembly yet. I have no garage and lost my prior year's indoor storage, so the bike is all torn down and prepped for winter. I am expected to be 100% again in 6 months or less, so this year is a do-over......

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know if I can help. If you need a place to do final assembly one weekend, I'll offer my garage and my labor.
You're aces Gary. Thanks much. I expect that the spring assembly will be a non issue as long as I have 2 good arms by then. And it's unlikely I will not. I DO plan on taking you up on a ride next season :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...and from the ashes, rises the Tempe (haven't made it to the Phoenix, but getting there!) A lot of work yet to do, but I am loving the new color scheme. I wanted a light color with more contrast than the silver on black of the pre-wrecked version, but felt limited by the silver frame and engine. The white had pearl in it so it throws some other colors in the sun. The tank is white as well, and I painted the grab handles a matt black that is close match for the R6 forks. Can't wait to finish her up and get rolling again.

Attachments

• Broken windshield and right mirror.jpg
    Broken windshield and right mirror.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210321_163612.jpg
    20210321_163612.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 22

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you should ask. So yesterday I finished the last of the detail electrical work. Needed to remount my license plate holder and wire up the plate lights, and also finished wring up my Innovv K3 dash cam. I was hoping to end the day by turning some gasoline into noise, but time ran out on my maintenance window.

But this gave me some time to ponder. This has been the longest period of time that the bike has not run. I last ran on 6/19/20. I was going to post up a question this morning seeking opinions on some pre-start precautions.

I was thinking I could:
- Disconnect the coils and turn it over a bit to build some oil pressure
- Fog some oil into the throttle bodies to lube the cylinder walls
- Remove the plugs and drop a little oil (a teaspoon?) directly into the cylinder then disco the coils and turn over
- Any combinations of the above
- Get better ideas from my forum-mates
- Do nothing

Interested to hear everyone chime in.

As for what's left, just need to install the gas tank, polish and reinstall the headers, new chain, all the under-tank stuff, and figure out why I have no front brake pressure. 1 day's work barring any complications. My oldest Son is getting married in August and it seem that is it now open season on my weekends :)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since the tank is off there’s little chance that the bike will start, and if it does it will die seconds later. I say crank it for a few seconds and then button it up.

Congrats on the wedding of your oldest.