Modding the stock exhaust

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys, I know that this has probably been beaten into the ground, but what is the best way/how do you mod the stock mufflers to make them louder. I am looking for a low/$0 cost on making the bike louder! HA
I know that a lot of people have probably already done this/would like to.
I heard one on youtube a while back, but there was no explanation other than it happened at a mechanic, im looking to do it my self. Any help?

Just did mine this weekend - used a 3/4" masonry bit and a high speed drill. It's nothing like aftermarket cans but it definitely sounds better than stock.

There are some better mods but you will have to do a little more work. Here is a you tube diagram and I'm sure if you do some more searching you'll find even better info on this...[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbid4GwHM68]YouTube - Auspuff Mod Fz6[/ame]

Those 2 red squares represent the section of baffle you cut out. This is a diagram looking down at the muffler. You would open up the top sheet metal, cut open the baffle and then reclose the top of the can. But I guess if you have a long large bore drill you could do the same thing....

Last edited:
Drilling one hole doesnt change the sound much. if you want it to sound like other bikes out there that are dramatically louder than yours, youre gonna have to do what Motogiro posted or get aftermarket pipes. I bought a spare muffler just to do this mod and drilled it. At first I didnt even notice the difference. Its not worth it IMHO. Also it doesnt cost anything to try if you already own a drill.

I drilled a hole in each side with the largest bit icould find, thought it made a noticable diff in sound at lower speeds around town (5000rpm 25-35mph)

save your money over winter and buy a real exhaust that will scare the hell out of people it pais itself off when you see them jump out of the car seat

This prob doesnt help much but I bought a standard exhaust on Ebay which had been modified already - it had been opened up and the baffles removed and then re-welded - looks like quite a neat job and it sounds nice - not too loud but definately better than ones I listened to on you tube with the baffles drilled. Best thing is that it only cost £30 including postage...

Lee

Well I like that, i will start looking on ebay
Also, I would love to order a set of after market mufflers, but at like 400 minimum I can't afford that as a student in college... I spent all my money on my bike and insurance...:(

Back