Motorcycle Accidents In Depth Study (MAIDS) V2.0 released

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
"April 2009 - Version 2.0 of the MAIDS report is now available. It contains a new presentation of the data with a split between mopeds (L1 vehicles) and motorcycle (L3) in both chapters, chapter 3.0 General Accident Characteristics and Chapter 10.0 Rationale for Action.

- Multivariate analysis on Fatal Accidents describing the results of a multivariate analysis of the in-depth motorcycle accident data collected during the MAIDS project. Data have been presented according to all powered two wheeler (PTW), as well as L1 and L3 vehicle categories where appropriate.
- Presentation of the MAIDS Report with the latest updates"

Maids - In-Depth investigation of motorcycle accidents

You will need to register (free) to download the file from there, but I attached it here as well. If you register you will receive monthly update emails (quite interesting as well).

It's an great report, probably the most complete in Europe, and maybe even the World (really not much happening in the US since the HURT Report that's like 30years old now).

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Quite the long boring read, but lots of information, thx for sharing!

4 things that struck me:
1/ Only 70% of riders tried in some way to avoid the collision. As braking is considered a collision avoidance move, it sounds like 1 out of 3 riders had no time to react at all... fn scary!
2/ Out of the 70% of riders who tried to avoid the collision, 44% experienced some type of loss of control.. Time to go find a good parking lot for practice.
3/ The cars reaction are: 65% did nothing to avoid the collision, 25% braked and only 8% swerved. So you can pretty much expect the car is gonna stay on the same trajectory, and maybe slow down. I wonder if actual riders experiences validate that statement.
4/ More than 50% of the accidents took place in light traffic conditions. I really thought the more traffic, the more dangerous it is, but according to this, it's not the case. Good news for us NYC riders :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's an great report, probably the most complete in Europe, and maybe even the World (really not much happening in the US since the HURT Report that's like 30years old now).

Actually, there is a new version of the Hurt report that will be availabe soon, it's being conductied by a large university, I think it might be Oklahoma State.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Findings on general accident characteristics

• There were 103 cases involving a fatality of either the rider or the passenger (5 were the passenger).
• L1 (moped) vehicles were over-represented in the accident sample when compared with the
exposure sample.
• More L1 vehicles were involved in accidents which took place in an urban area than L3 (sportbike)
vehicles. (85.9% v. 62%).

In other words, MOST of this data was taken by SCOOTERS or MOPEDS. A motorcycle counts as any two-wheeled vehicle that has an engine displacement of over 50cc.

• 54.3% of the PTW accidents took place at an intersection. 38% were non-intersection, 7% were other (parking lot).
• Passenger cars were the most frequent collision partner (60%). Fixed objects were second.
• 72% of the accidents took place in urban areas.
• A PTW was more likely to collide with a passenger car in an urban area than in a rural
area. (64.1% v. 46.7%).
• Due to the absence of comparable exposure data, it was not possible to determine if
any month, day of the week or time of the day was a risk factor.

RAID THE REVENGE's ADDITION

-This following data is mostly NOT statistically different, meaning it's not very strong. Don't place strong confidence in the data below:

1) Overall, most accidents occured on either a TUESDAY or MONDAY. However, SPORTBIKES have the greatest chance to crash on the WEEKEND (this data IS statistically different (strong assumption)).

2) Most accidents happened between 5:00 - 6:00 PM. This timeframe is NOT statistically different. It's not reliable data.

3) Most accidents happened in MAY. Once again, this data is NOT statistically different.

4) From most to least, here are the scenarios that lead to accidents.

MOST COMMON - A car drives straight into a sportbike. This also means the vehicle may have veered slightly and struck the motorcyclist.
MIDDLE COMMON - A car turned in front of a sportbike. We're talking about a car turning in an intersection, in front of an incoming motorcyclist.
LESSER COMMON - The motorcyclist drove off-road; failing to negotiate a turn.
LEAST COMMON - The motorcyclist drove into a fixed object.

^^^These are the top-scenarios for an accident. They are NOT statistically different.

---I want to thank WAVEX for presenting this study. Really interesting.

Last edited:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting but from the excerpts posted here I'd say it's 80 percent common sense wrapped in a boring report, think i'll skip that read.