My $29 motorcycle GPS

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Luddite bought a smartphone! I just ordered the Nokia Lumia 520 on an Amazon xmas sale for $29. Several forum members (here, or at the BMW forum, can't remember) have been using this phone, without actual phone service, as a GPS unit. You can add the maps of where you're going using the built-in Wifi, and the phone has a GPS receiver in it, that's all you need.
Looking through the first 20 pages of FAQs on Amazon, it looks like after 90 days it can be unlocked by AT&T (it's an AT&T-specific, no-contract phone) and you can use a Tracfone account with it. That'll rock if I can make that work! I'm still using my 2007 Tracfone, it costs me $99/year for minutes, and the minutes roll over, it's all the phone I need.
A couple FAQs also stated there's an app that will allow it to communicate with a Mac, so I could load music and photos should I choose to do so. All those capabilities would be nice, but for me, it isn't worth getting an iPhone for $300 or whatever; $29, I can afford to play. :rockon:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Luddite bought a smartphone! I just ordered the Nokia Lumia 520 on an Amazon xmas sale for $29. Several forum members (here, or at the BMW forum, can't remember) have been using this phone, without actual phone service, as a GPS unit. You can add the maps of where you're going using the built-in Wifi, and the phone has a GPS receiver in it, that's all you need.
:rockon:

I'm interested. Tell me more about it!
So is there a certain gps app that you run with it? or just like the Google maps app?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I was not aware that smart phones had a GPS base map program. Most of them use Google maps to navigate which requires a data connection.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I was not aware that smart phones had a GPS base map program. Most of them use Google maps to navigate which requires a data connection.

Copilot is a good app to use. It does not require data service, and it's top notch. Of course if u have data service u get traffic info etc.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Copilot is a good app to use. It does not require data service, and it's top notch.
That's the kind of info I hope to see here, thanks Erik! I'm pretty much an Apple guy, so just learning the phone OS will no doubt stump me here and there, but I'm hoping to make it work.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the Androids running current OS will pull a map over wifi and you can save it on the phone for your area. GPS will track you on those maps w/out data/wifi.

I do this when up in the Mt's where there's no signal, so it seems to work!

Device is a Droid Razr HD running KitKat 4.4.2 and Google maps. That said, I'm guessing others have this ability too.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thx for the heads up, Botch! Just bought one myself. At the worst it will be a pseudo ipod...and if it works out as mentioned I've also got a $29 GPS. You rock.