My gear stinks! Should I wash it?!

Should I wash my gear?!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I asked my local bike guru and he said he likes to shower IN his gear... guy is nuts I swear, but he does have clean gear!

And thanks for the leather help guys!

my gear says you can take the armour out and then wash it on a gentle cycle

i find riding fast through the rain does a good job of cleaning mine though

Well, I sent a message off to Frank Thomas, and the reply was to definitely NOT wash it in a machine OR to completely soak/immerse my gear in water as it will trash the waterproof liner. Sponge method was recommended and 'Febreeze' or other fabric freshener is ok to combat the smell!

I'm still not sure what to do! Everyone has a different opinion! I am leaning towards Tech wash/Nik wax in the machine though. Showering in my gear and riding very fast in the rain were also other, um, interesting suggestions! :eek:

Well, I sent a message off to Frank Thomas, and the reply was to definitely NOT wash it in a machine OR to completely soak/immerse my gear in water as it will trash the waterproof liner. Sponge method was recommended and 'Febreeze' or other fabric freshener is ok to combat the smell!

I'm still not sure what to do! Everyone has a different opinion! I am leaning towards Tech wash/Nik wax in the machine though. Showering in my gear and riding very fast in the rain were also other, um, interesting suggestions! :eek:

They're worried about your liner loosing it's waterproof ability, but recommend you spray your gear with Febreze?? :spank: Wow...

Long live Aerostich!!
Pitch in the washing machine, hang to dry, spray with silicone, let dry, RIDE..

I bought my Aerostich Darien Jacket USED 8 years ago and has been used for off road and on road in excess of 150K miles.

Darien Jacket :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

This photo's from 6 years ago.. I still wear the same jacket. Been washed numerous times, and it's still waterproof.. (although a bit stinky right now, needs another wash)

S4200051.jpg

Don't know about the smell, but I took the armour out & washed mine with normal washing powder in the machine, & then it lost all its waterproofing, so did what the booklet said & sprayed it with 3M waterproofing stuff for tents & outdoor clothing & it worked a treat,all back to normal.:Flash: there is stuff that you wash it in that does not take off the waterproofing tho..

Last edited:
Back