My lunch hour, not as good as MadMan, but good

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm trying to figure out a solution for my top clamp once I get my ConvertiBars (didn't show last night, maybe tonight), I don't want my bar clamp looking back at me. I've tried just about everything 1) bought used FZ top clamp, planned cut off riders with hacksaw, file down until smooth, part shows up damaged from eBay seller 2) fit R6 top clamps, doesn't look like they will fit, 3) put on an entire R6 frontend, can't find one yet, and I really don't want to. 4) Ignore the FZ top clamp, ugly 5) Have one made! Cost????

So I begin Googling (did you know they have the internet on computers these days?). So I find these guys, Acculign, they make some of the sweetest looking rearsets I've ever seen, and a very nice triple tree. I drop them a line asking if they can fab up a top clamp for me. The next day I hear back from John, the owner, saying he doesn't have time however he has two newer machinists who need projects to practice on, and if I liked he'd have them call me. Cool!

Well come to find out they a 15 minutes from my office. I zip over there today meet them and see what they have to say. The four of us chatted for a bit and showed me some top clamps they had made for minis. They were simple but looked strong and tough.

We agreed I'd leave my bike with the ConvertiBar kits so they could fully develop a plan. I'll drop it off on the 28th so they can have it the weekend.

Once they come up with an entire plan they will quote a price. Because I'm helping them out with a project (ie: helping train them) the cost will be reasonable.

So I'll keep you up to date on developments on how this goes.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
What? the interweb on computers now? what will they think of next?
All kidding aside, Top I hope this plan works out for ya. Sucks to buy all that stuff and it not work. If it makes ya feel better my lunch sucked...went to the hardware store and just about fought the guy on the difference between SAE grade 5 & 8 bolts (for slider) and they still didn't have the one I needed! I was right about the bolt though.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What? the interweb on computers now? what will they think of next?
All kidding aside, Top I hope this plan works out for ya. Sucks to buy all that stuff and it not work. If it makes ya feel better my lunch sucked...went to the hardware store and just about fought the guy on the difference between SAE grade 5 & 8 bolts (for slider) and they still didn't have the one I needed! I was right about the bolt though.

You may need to go to a specialty fastener shop, like a Grainger, or A&I Nut and Bolt, or Pro Fasteners.

Grade 8 is the way to go. Here a linky-dinky that explains the different bolt markings. There are some that are made for high temps. Don't know if you need that of motor mounts or not?

American Fastener - ASTM, SAE, and ISO Grade Markings

I'm really not into the top clamp for too much money, maybe $40.00. I am getting a good collection of OEM Yamaha parts that I don't need however! Anyone want an R1 shock? It's real purdy.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I am kinda hip to them after the years (of braking stuff). The original bolt (metric) said 10.9 on it and he was trying to tell me it was grade 5. So I disagreed and he was like "why do you think I work in this section?" so I said "because Mcdonald's wasn't hiring." and I dont think he liked that. Then we found the chart and ...I was right.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I am kinda hip to them after the years (of braking stuff). The original bolt (metric) said 10.9 on it and he was trying to tell me it was grade 5. So I disagreed and he was like "why do you think I work in this section?" so I said "because Mcdonald's wasn't hiring." and I dont think he liked that. Then we found the chart and ...I was right.

"Dah, ta Dah ta Da! I'm lovin' it!" McDonalds....not! :p

"So what do you do for a living? I sort nuts and polish bolts..."

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
your first post got me all excited thinking there might be a simple way to move the handle bars down but this seems to be getting close to getting teh space shuttle in orbit ;)

from what i was reading in the other thread clip ons just wont work? smacking the gas tank or sumptin?

well, if all this works out hopefully you can put together a parts list (where from, how much,ect).

Good luck :thumbup: