My Naked Journey Begins on Friday

zepe63

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 FZ6 with about 23k on the clock. Traded my cruiser for it in Sept 2012. It's a little rough cosmetically but runs like a champ. So far I've done some minor mods, tail eliminator, fake HID bulbs, blacked out windscreen, R1 mirrors and routine maintenance (plugs, oil, K&N air filter, new chain adjusters.

But, it was time for a change. This past Saturday I received my Motogiro headlight relay. Yesterday I received my real bi-xenon H4 bulb, ballast and switcher relay. And today I received the VS02 kit from Vishnu (a few parts short, but I have emailed him).

I have read and read most of the postings in this section.

My plan is to record my conversion with my GoPro and hopefully post (maybe a link to YouTube) video as well as photos.

Wish me luck and thanks to all that have posted their experiences.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 FZ6 with about 23k on the clock. Traded my cruiser for it in Sept 2012. It's a little rough cosmetically but runs like a champ. So far I've done some minor mods, tail eliminator, fake HID bulbs, blacked out windscreen, R1 mirrors and routine maintenance (plugs, oil, K&N air filter, new chain adjusters.

But, it was time for a change. This past Saturday I received my Motogiro headlight relay. Yesterday I received my real bi-xenon H4 bulb, ballast and switcher relay. And today I received the VS02 kit from Vishnu (a few parts short, but I have emailed him).

I have read and read most of the postings in this section.

My plan is to record my conversion with my GoPro and hopefully post (maybe a link to YouTube) video as well as photos.

Wish me luck and thanks to all that have posted their experiences.
Good luck with the build,

Neil

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
going naked feels so good, ........ did I say that out loud?

hope the build goes according to your plans, good luck with it

zepe63

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I have to agree. I failed to get step-by-step photos/videos but I finished installing the VS02 kit and Bi-Xenon H4 conversion late Friday afternoon. Set out this morning at 11AM with a ridin' buddy and didn't want to come off the bike. Finally got home at 4PM. Not sure if the wife was happy I was gone all day or pissed because I wasn't around all day. Oh well it was worth it.

A couple of shake-out notes for those considering the conversion. My headlight bracket had to be bent around a bit as did the speedo plate. I also noticed vibration on my ride today and thought it was the speedo. After a quick removal of the wind-screen I noticed a groove worn into the top headlight visor/faring. With the wind-screen still off I bent that bracket up some so the two no longer rub. To be safe I also bent the speedo bracket up some and wedged some foam packing material between the speedo bracket and the headlight bracket.

I attached couple before and after shots.

This is my next mod:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050HC2NQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Emgo Street Handlebar - Drag Bend - Black, Color: Black 23-12570: Automotive[/ame]

Any recommendations on drag bars? or gel grips?

And this is the the headlight kit I used:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZJFWJ0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Super Bright Car HID Bi-Xenon Dual Beam Telescopic Light (12V, 35W) Headlight Conversion Kit -2 pcs of HID Slim Digital Ballasts and 2 pcs of H4/H4-3/HB2/9003 HID Bi-Xenon Hi/Lo high/low Bulbs/Lights/Lamps 6000K Diamond White : Amazon.com : Automotiv[/ame]

going naked feels so good, ........ did I say that out loud?

hope the build goes according to your plans, good luck with it

zepe63

Reaction score
Visit site
Well done - looks good. What bags are you using?

Thanks. Love being naked!

The bags are Nelson-Rigg CL-905. $75 USD on Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068EVJS4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Nelson-Rigg CL-905 Black Sport Touring Saddle Bag : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

jab21

Reaction score
Visit site
Naked's good, my friend. Thanks for the bag info - I'm looking at getting a set, do you recommend these N-R's?

Cumming, huh? My wife grew up in Gainesville and we're planning a trip over next weekend. I'm kicking around the idea of riding over and letting her bring the kiddos in the Suburban. My mouth's been watering for some of the riding to be done in that part of the world!

zepe63

Reaction score
Visit site
Naked's good, my friend. Thanks for the bag info - I'm looking at getting a set, do you recommend these N-R's?

Cumming, huh? My wife grew up in Gainesville and we're planning a trip over next weekend. I'm kicking around the idea of riding over and letting her bring the kiddos in the Suburban. My mouth's been watering for some of the riding to be done in that part of the world!

My one complaint with the 905s is the lack of stiffener in the bottom. I just made my own. I would recommend them however. On my work commutes I can fit my laptop on one side and my rain gear and coffee on the other.

Let me know if you do ride up, I'm not much of a twisties guy but I'd be happy to take a country cruise, or follow slowly behind while you twistee.....:D

zepe63

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever tapped the stock bar ends to accept the bolt from bar end mirrors. I love the weight of the stock bar ends and resisted the urge to drill out the threads in the stock handlebars...... but would love to try these mirrors:

Black BAR END Mirrors Handlebars 7 8" FOR Yamaha FZ1 FZ6 FZ600 FZ700 FZ750 | eBay

My thought is if I drill and tap the stock ends then I could use the bolt and grommets that come with the mirrors and bolt the mirrors right to the bar end.

My initial thought is that the bolt may loosen from vibration. What do you guys think? Any obvious downfalls to this that I'm missing?