FZ6-N: Morimoto Mini D2S retrofit

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work there degake! Looks clean and neat!
I ordered a simple bi-xenon hid kit from ebay without the projector, and I wondered how and where exactly did you place the ballast and the ignitor?
Did you remove the airbox? How did you fixed them in place?
If you have more photos please post them in order to get a picture what to expect!
Any tips will be also greatly appreciated!
TIA

I didn't remove the airbox...
I only removed the battery and the starter relay (though the battery shouldn't be removed to route all the wiring).

As for the placing of the ballast:
If you lift your tank, you will see your main wiring harness, which runs from the left side of the frame to the right side (so it goes perpendicular to the "front to rear direction" of the bike :p)
This will be just next to where the fuel pump connectors will come when you put the tank back down...
I just used some zip ties to keep the ballasts "floating" (so they are zip tied to the main wiring harness) to keep them from rubbing/vibrating against the engine heat isolation (rubber mat).
By doing this, the ballasts are neatly tucked inside the bike, and won't get much water on them :)

I'll have to look to see if I have any other pictures of where I placed the ballasts :)

Grtz,

Degake

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm loving it more and more everyday!!! :cheer:

Grtz,

Degake

Now I'm getting fired up about some HIDs :rolleyes:
I want minimum down time so I would want to do it at my leisure and might buy a spare headlamp assembly for the Zuki. Then just swap it out! :BLAA: My 09 R1 had HIDs but I never really rode it in the dark. Come to think of it same with the Zuki! When you want and need light???? :D

Thanks for the inspiration!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I'm getting fired up about some HIDs :rolleyes:
I want minimum down time so I would want to do it at my leisure and might buy a spare headlamp assembly for the Zuki. Then just swap it out! :BLAA: My 09 R1 had HIDs but I never really rode it in the dark. Come to think of it same with the Zuki! When you want and need light???? :D

Thanks for the inspiration!

Just go and install you some HID projectors ;)
Even if you don't ride often at night, the projectors would still make you more visible in the daytime :)
And they just look so good on any bike :rockon:

Grtz,

Degake

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Great job Degake

Great job Degake!

Awesome to see that you fit a bi-xenon projector in the naked headlight housing.

Like the others have said, it's amazing how much brighter projector HIDs are as compared to the stock light. I get a big grin on my face at night when I flick that high beam on, and everything in front of me lights up from my dual projectors. :rockon:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job Degake!

Awesome to see that you fit a bi-xenon projector in the naked headlight housing.

Like the others have said, it's amazing how much brighter projector HIDs are as compared to the stock light. I get a big grin on my face at night when I flick that high beam on, and everything in front of me lights up from my dual projectors. :rockon:

Naked headlight + big HID projector = SWEET :BLAA:
Naked headlight + big headlight on High Beam when looking from inside the car in front of the bike on the road = OH-OOOOH!! :Flash:

I really can't miss that light anymore!! :)

Grtz,

Degake

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I just say: WOW!:thumbup:

Haven't been around for a while, and I can see you've been busy. Great work, Degake:rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had HID dual projector retrofits from an INfinity FX35 SUV in my FZ6 lamps for years now. I can't image going back to a single crappy stock halogen low beam at night! If you ride at night this is the single biggest safety mod you can do on this bike!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I just say: WOW!:thumbup:

Haven't been around for a while, and I can see you've been busy. Great work, Degake:rockon:

Yeah, it was quite the work to get everything as I wanted it :)

I've had HID dual projector retrofits from an INfinity FX35 SUV in my FZ6 lamps for years now. I can't image going back to a single crappy stock halogen low beam at night! If you ride at night this is the single biggest safety mod you can do on this bike!

I say the same thing when I drive someones' car or bike that hasn't got (proper) xenon lighting....
It really makes a huge difference!! :)

Grtz,

Degake

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Followed your instructions and just did mine today. It was easier than I thought it would be. I had plenty of space inside and outside the headlight.

Light throw is amazing, almost the same as my car.

Thanks for lot for your help! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up :bow:

I must admit that I started looking at this thread as my headlight clip sprung loose when changing the bulb today :banghead: (OK, OK, now I know not to loosen the screw). Anyway bulb is now replaced and I came across this well detailed thread to boot, as the thread is now a bit older I can't simply press the thank button, I would like to thank you for this great thread :thumbup::thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up :bow:

I must admit that I started looking at this thread as my headlight clip sprung loose when changing the bulb today :banghead: (OK, OK, now I know not to loosen the screw). Anyway bulb is now replaced and I came across this well detailed thread to boot, as the thread is now a bit older I can't simply press the thank button, I would like to thank you for this great thread :thumbup::thumbup:

I thought so TOO!!!! Good Job! :thumbup::thumbup:

On another note; just bought two Acura TSX D2S projectors with 5000K bulbs and Morimoto 3Five1 ballasts. Cage has HIDs but its gonna get better HIDs and that leaves two ballasts for something else.... FI is pondering what shall I do with them....

Q for those with HID lighting on their bikes; any issues when leaned over? Can you still see? Those with a single bulb in the center, lighting mostly remains, but how about a faired version with two??? Thoughts?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought so TOO!!!! Good Job! :thumbup::thumbup:

On another note; just bought two Acura TSX D2S projectors with 5000K bulbs and Morimoto 3Five1 ballasts. Cage has HIDs but its gonna get better HIDs and that leaves two ballasts for something else.... FI is pondering what shall I do with them....

Q for those with HID lighting on their bikes; any issues when leaned over? Can you still see? Those with a single bulb in the center, lighting mostly remains, but how about a faired version with two??? Thoughts?

When I'm cornering hard and it's dark out I just flip on the high beam, then it's as if my headlights are leading me around the turn. But yeah, without that, you definitely lose a bit of illuminated area. (My headlight is mounted to the forks, so it's a bit different than one that's always going forward, too)

You could get away with it on the faired version by flipping the high beams.

In other news, I want to see the Acura projectors when you're done, everything I've read says that they're the best on the market, and every Acura I pass crushes me in light output.