My New GPS Setup

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
My New GPS Setup (Rokform)

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area or not, oh well.

Anyways after getting lost countless times I decided it was time to get a GPS rigged up.

I went with Battery Tender for my USB charging solution and Rokform for my mounting solution.

I have to say these are top quality products. Not only is the Rokform case an awesome mounting solution, but it's a very good case in its own right. I would say it's on par with the Otterbox cases.

The Rokform case is made in the USA and comes in plastic and aluminum versions. The case offers many accessories from mounts to bottles openers. On the back there is a magnet embedded in the case. You can just slap it onto your fridge or what ever.

The handlebar mount has a magnet in the middle in addition to the RMS mount. It makes for a super secure attachment. I use a similar setup mountain biking and have never had any issues.

Really the only downside I see is this setup wouldn't do well in the rain. Although they do include a bag to put over the phone, but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with Battery Tender for my USB charging solution and Rokform for my mounting solution.

+1 on the Battery Tender USB adapter. I just received mine in the mail today, and can't wait to hook up my ancient TomTom GPS to it. Seems to be a really easy way to obtain 5V at up to 2.1 amps (think iPhone 5 also), using a cord end that is otherwise flopping in the wind while you're riding the bike, and is fuse protected by the manufacturer.

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Rokform too. Haven't mounted it to the fz6 yet but I have a mount in our cages. Works like a charm as a pseudo dash mounted gps. The magnet inside the grip on the back of the case also works to stick the service manual (phone) to the tank while working on it! Nice setup :thumbup:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm actually surprised at how well the handlebar mount worked out. I was a little bit worried as I knew it would have to be posted on the part of the bars where it starts to bend down. My first thought was that the phone would bit at a bit of an angle.

BenFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a simple GPS mount that wraps around the handlebar. It works well with my Garmin. However, the glare of the sun is usually so bad that I can't see the screen unless I cover it with my hand which is dangerous to be that distracted so I avoid having to use it as much as possible. Any suggestions for this solution? And it's exposed to the elements.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a simple GPS mount that wraps around the handlebar. It works well with my Garmin. However, the glare of the sun is usually so bad that I can't see the screen unless I cover it with my hand which is dangerous to be that distracted so I avoid having to use it as much as possible. Any suggestions for this solution? And it's exposed to the elements.

They make covers that usually velcro around the edge of the unit.

They work ok but if the sun is behind you, not so much.

Also, if it starts to rain (and yours is NOT waterproof) you may have to pull it off to remove the cover so you cover up the gps with a plastic bag (or remove altogether)

Below is the cover on my old SP3 (sold the unit, kept the cover).

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

I'v actually never had an issue with glare. The rain on the other hand.... I wouldn't mind having one of those waterproof smartphones. A Galaxy S4 Active or something.

Last edited:

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I was just looking at SAE to USB adapters so that I could use my dashcam on the bike occasionally. That's a slick setup for using the phone as GPS. Nicely done.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks awesome setup!

However I don't dare to leave my eyes off the street so I use audio navigation only by:

1st to read the overview of the destination path/list freeway and street where I'm going to, 2nd connect my headset audio cable to my phone and listen to the voice navigation prompt - it works very well and my eyes are always focusing on the street traffic (no more right open lane fast passthrough...!)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks awesome setup!

However I don't dare to leave my eyes off the street so I use audio navigation only by:

1st to read the overview of the destination path/list freeway and street where I'm going to, 2nd connect my headset audio cable to my phone and listen to the voice navigation prompt - it works very well and my eyes are always focusing on the street traffic (no more right open lane fast passthrough...!)

Do you ever look at your speedometer, fuel gauge, etc? It's the same thing, not like I'm playing with the phone. Audio navigation streams from my iPhone to my helmet via Bluetooth communicator, so you really just need to look every so often if your curious as to where your at.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't dare to leave my eyes off the street so I use audio navigation only by:

As noted above, a quick glance, just like looking at the speedometer doesn't take much.

I have mine mounted (stem stand) as high as possible BUT I'm still able to see the idiot lights, etc (everything on the dash).