Need a new horn! Could use some reccomendations please

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this PIAA aftermarket horn and it's just not cutting it, I need to make the sky part when I hit this thing, what do you guys recommend?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-76501-500Hz-Slim-Sports/dp/B003884RDW/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1391366541&sr=8-18&keywords=motorcycle+horn]PIAA 76501 500Hz Slim Line Sports Horn : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^
Stebel nautilus is a fan favorite

A good price here
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilus-Universal-Motorcycles-Scooters/dp/B00CMX20H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391375497&sr=8-1&keywords=stebel+nautilus+compact+horn]Amazon.com: SUPER LOUD Stebel Nautilus Compact Twin Air Horn; Universal for Cars, Trucks, Boats, ATVS, Motorcycles and Scooters: Automotive[/ame]

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
what they said!! awsome little horn! one of the best mods i have done to either bike! i am wanting to put one on my pickup cause it would be sooooo much better on there too!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Steble. Very loud, small package.

It does require a relay(included) and ties into 12 volts using the horn wiring as the trigger. I'd pick up the wiring kit as well, makes things much easier...

I Have mine hiddden under the left side inner fairing

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! The Stebel is actually only 115db:jawdrop:(A)!,Frequency is 530Hz & 680Hz +_5%. PLEASE don't shoot the messenger! You need 24 volts for the full 139db.,Bummer!That's what I get for reading specs(bad case of cabin fever).OK electrical Wizards how do we make the horn get 24 volts on our bikes?As a bonus it will only draw 9A instead of 18!LOL!! Rich

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I could be wrong too, but on the stebel page it posted the same dB levels for each of the horns, I'm wondering if the one you found on ebay just has the capability to run at 24 v? I guess someone with more experience could let us know if the compressor in these horns would pump out more pressure with Higher voltage but I'm thinking not.
the two links I posted are to the nautilus compact which is great for secreteing it in tight spaces and they are specc'd at 12/24v too in the Stebel catalogue

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The original unit (NOT a chinese knock off) is 139db at 12 volts.

I suspect, if its rated for up to 24 volts, it'll work with 24 volts but only so much air can flow thru the actual plastic
horn
and seriously doubt it'd be any louder. Un-less you want to mount a second battery, its a moot point anyway as you'd need another 12 volts...

It IS plenty loud enough for your needs:

The Stebel Nautilus Air Horn from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST

(I'm a supplier for Pirates Lair and bought everthing, including the installation kit there making the installation stupid simple). It was much cheaper years ago when I bought several (had 3 on all three bikes at the time)

BTW, short of a marine horn, for a large vessel, it'd be very hard to find a 24 volt horn, its just NOT needed...:thumbup:

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
this is a quick vid i did a while back. with my stock 08 trumph tiger horn ( sounded identical to the weak ass stock fz horn) and the steeble on the fz.. and even though the sound is a little distorted it is that loud! and is AWSOME! i just found some from china ( steeble stampped on them) in red for cheap and bought to cause you wont see the red on my pickup! and it will be loads louder than what is on there...

Last edited:

Blackcombe

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lucky enough (for now) to not have had to use my horn however i too was just looking into louder options for when the time does arrive. Seems the Stebel is the way to go.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
this is a quick vid i did a while back. with my stock 08 trumph tiger horn ( sounded identical to the weak ass stock fz horn) and the steeble on the fz.. and even though the sound is a little distorted it is that loud! and is AWSOME! i just found some from china ( steeble stampped on them) in red for cheap and bought to cause you wont see the red on my pickup! and it will be loads louder than what is on there...

Ohhh yeah man that's the stuff thanks for this.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I just pulled the trigger on the Nautilus compact. My stock horn lost it's balls :)
I checked the specs and having audio as a hobby I solved the mystery. It's 12V(18A) or 24V(9A), which is the same power output according to Ohm's Law. They state two different Sound Pressure Levels at two different distances. 139db at 10 cm and 115 or so (can't remember the exact number) at 2 meters distance, as sound intensity decreases with distance. So in fact it runs at both 12V and 24V and it produces both 139db and 115db but at different distances.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Car horn will do, that's what i'm gonna on mine. I just gotta find a place to mount it.