Need Help Reviving 2004 FZ6 Throwing codes 12, 15, 19

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

04 FZ6 non-CA, in Garage since 2008, Fires with direct spray of starter, fuel pump does not sound like it comes on, Diagd 61 throws 12, 15 and 19. Seems like no power to FI system. Running through diag tests 30 thru 60 Relay clicks but no other action eg Fan doesnt turn on on 51, Cant hear injectors activate and engine warning does not illuminate in tests.

Again, hit it with some starter and it fires and the headlamp turns on. So seems like FI system ot getting power. Diag 09 shows no FI voltage even though new and charged battery.

Where to begin? Thanks in advance for your thoughts--- (( :~)

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, 61 shows old fault codes, it loops through current faults when you first turn the key on. If 12 or 19 shows up then the ECU won't let the engine run.
Sitting for that long I'd say corroded terminals or maybe rats got into the wiring too. Check wiring to the sidestand switch and pickup (right side crankcase).
Pete

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one ^^ on R&R the ECU wiring connector and cleaning..

Next, check for voltage to the fuel pump when the key is INITIALLY TURNED ON.
Confirm yea or nay, more likely the FUEL PUMP.

We're assuming you dumped the old fuel and started with fresh fuel, CORRECT??

Specific wires to the tank pump and fuel level sender:

Check all fuses under the right pod as well. (there's an EFI fuse there):

Last edited:

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Great start. I dumped fuel. Removed Pump cleaned tank and pump.. lots of rust n shellac. So Harness and pump are great starting points Photos are a big help decoding pump wires. I don't hear it kick on with power so I think power to pump is the starting point.

Is it ok to direct apply 12v to pump to see if it will activate without ECU. Is there a procedure for this test?

THaks

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
This is from the manual,

Also you probably know this already but if the kill switch is on the fuel won't prime

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks..I think there is clearly no prime or fuel injection of any kind.

Been on and off the kill switch a few times working through Diag mode trying to activate components. Have service manual.

If I read the diag procedure correctly, then on a given diage code like #50 i should be able to toggle the kill switch from OFF to ON and hear the injectors actuate 5 times and then illuminate check engine light. When I do that all I get is a click from the large relay (I think lean angle) on the back left. Am I reading the procedure correctly?

Last edited:

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure it's 5 times a second, the warning light comes on when the relay is off and vice versa. You could try #52 too for the headlight, just to test the kill switch. As you already know the headlight is working if this test fails the fault has to be kill switch or wiring, connectors to it.

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked at the circuit diagram, the kill switch livens up 2 relays, one for the fuel pump and one for the starter switch. Might be worth checking them too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The lean angle or Tilt sensor is located under the left POD. You'll see an "UP" on it.

I'd probably start with simply plugging the pump (which is out) into the bikes harness and turn the key on. It should spin up for approx 2 seconds.

Quote "Is it ok to direct apply 12v to pump to see if it will activate without ECU. Is there a procedure for this test?"

Yes, you can apply 12 volts to the pump. Don't run it much as the fuel normally around it , cools it.

BTW, it's not unusual for the pump to fail when the tank gets rusty, filter nasty...You may lucky out and get it to spin up...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
OK Here is status of debug

1. Tested fuses in right side block all good

2. Applied 12V directly to Fuel Pump with 10 amp inline fuse on pos jumper. Fuse popped..No pump action. Will replace using $30is ThEBay pump and rebuild

3. Crankshaft Position Sensor (code 12) Ohm tested ok @ 297 Ohm (spec = 248-3720

4. Ran through DIAG again ..Here are results
a. 01, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08: all OK and activate with Main/Kill switch toggle
b. 09 (Fuel System Voltage) registers as 0.00 even with jumper across Green Pump Plug
c. 20, 21: OK and correct values in on/off positions
d. 30, 31,36, 37: Relay at left rear clicks but no action.
e. 48 Does not activate trouble ligt. No AI solinoid sound ..unless taht is left rear
f. 50: Left Rear Relay click ..no warning light
g. 51: No fan motor or warning light activation
h. 52: No Headlight activation ...It did activate when engine fired from external fuel
I. 60: displays 00 (No Malfunction)
j. 61: displays 12, 15, 19
k.62: Displays 3 codes -- Will Not Erase with Toggle

Bike turns over via starter and will fire with external fuel

Thanks again for your help. Let me know what you think.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The headlight circuit becomes active through the ECM/ECU signal after the engine has been started.

Even though the fuel pump gets it's power via relay contacts, it's a good idea if you don't do this already, to make sure any component you test is isolated from the ECU/ECM when testing that component to minimize any possible damage that may occur by simultaneously applying voltage potential to the ECU/ECM.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unplug the battery for a couple min or erase all codes. #19 is a show stopper and will NOT allow the engine to run...
If after clearing codes 19 comes up, it may not initially but if it does say after pressing start or turning on run switch you must resolve that for it to power FI...

Sounds like pump is toast.

Be certain fuel pressure regulator will hold 36psi of air or water before reassembling pump into tank or you will be pulling it apart again.
Back flow the valve repeatedly until the debris comes out and holds pressure.

Check all of your side stand functions too. In diagnostics mode you can raise and lower side stand. Watch it change. I don't recall the ## but if error 19 is present the ecu will kill the FI.

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird it didn't pop the FI fuse on the bike. When you powered the fuel pump was it red/blue for power and black for earth? The green/white is fuel level.
If that fuse is ok there could be a problem with the FI relay - the one you hear clicking at the back left. There is a test for it on page 8-50 in the manual.
Good luck

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It didn't pop the fuse as error 19 very likely kept the ECU from taking that line to ground. The ecu is the ground path and if unhappy, it doesn't do it so the fuse lives.

That would be my guess at least. Lets see if #19 still exists and or what others. CPS can be created with low battery and slower crank velocities when cranking. Likely not a real error or it wouldnt run with starting fluid.

Also - I would caution everyone against using starting fluid on high compression engines. Spritz gas into TB as a lean backfire from wrong ratio of starter fluid can bend rods and/or crack pistons.... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ You may be right too, the fact he can hear the relay click IMHO means there should be power going past there to the fuel pump, injectors and a sense line to ECU.
I think the ECU is not sensing this power witch is why diag tests #30 to #52 all fail. edit: They all need the kill switch toggled witch works this relay.
As mentioned before #61 shows fault code history so error 19 may not even be valid, current ones show when the key is first turned on.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In a nutshell I have an fz harness on the floor. It is missing the branch that goes to the TB, air pressure and air temperature. But otherwise is complete.

It has error 19 and does everything to the letter this one does. Look in the FSM for condition for which the bike WILL NOT RUN. #19 is high on the list and as stated, if the CPS were trully doomed it would not run at all.

We need more input but my money is on making the ecu happy and you fixed it. That and a new pump!
Mind you mine does prime the pump but will not fire the injectors with that error present.

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

1.Thanks for tips
2. Pump power test was to pump power not fuel level sender... thanks to excellent diagrams in this thread :). Yes weird.. since FI fuse is not blown in Bus.. perhaps FI power has never activated? Correlates with the 0.0 FI voltage in Diag mode.
a.Ordered Pump ..Replace next weekend
3. Kickstand and Neutral switched perform well in DIAG mode. Both Toggle on/off as expected
4. Disconnected Battery for about an hour to clear Code History. No Change... 60=00; 61=12,15,19; 62=3. will leave it disconnected for the week ..perhaps it needs to draw down a capacitor or battery holding ecu memory..or static ram. Thank for FI relay test reference .. will work that while waiting on pump.

5. Finished new tire installs in my 05' F650GS and took it for a 100m break in ride today :).... Patience reserves restored for the FZ project.
6. Have a great week.

Ridn4FunFixn2Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Update.

1. EFI fuse was blown due to failed pump...replaced

2. Fuel Pump: Replaced Pump Module $30ish
a. New pump tested out of tank and In
i. Kicks on with key and pushes fuel to a bucket in diag modes
c. Fuel sender ohm tested while out of tank returns 21 Top to 142 Bottom...but...
d. Getting the 8 flash error on the fuel meter
i. Sender plug looks good and carries 12.7V across when power on
i. Am I correct that this error code should not prevent start? Other threads indicate this is annoyance only

3. All DIAG tests successful and prior 12, 15, 19 code history erased
a. 08 - lean angle= 0.6
b. 09 fuel system voltage = 12.7V +
c. 20 Sidestand toggles ON when up .. OFF when down
d. 21 Neutral toggles ON in Neutral OFF in gear
e. 30,31 fire ignition coils
f. 36 and 37 kick on pump and fire injectors. Observed audible and visual spritts in intake
g. 48 thru 62 perform as described in service manual and no codes or history

4. Still no Natural Start : Bike on Center Stand in Neutral
a. Will fire and run briefly with manual prime in intakes and full throttle for air
b. Dies when manual prime is consumed so....fuel starved.
e. Engine trouble light flashes while starter is pressed...SvcMan pg 7-3 says this results from one or more Fault Conditions: 12, 19, 30, 41, 50
i. No codes on display or in memory or history following several rounds of manual prime starts
ii. Fault 12 status: No code and Crankshaft position sensor ohm tested good
iii. Fault 19 Status: No code, sidestand up and Diag test of Sidestand good
iiii. Fault 30 Status: No Code, Lean Angle Diag test shows 0.6 (upright range is 0.4 ~ 1.4V)
iiiii. Fault 41 Status: No Code, Lean Angle Open or Short .. Not sure how to test? How could this be if DIAG test is OK?
iiiiii. Fault 50 Status??? Faulty ECU memory... Code may not display on meter... Any thoughts on this? Seems unlikely fail due to sitting?

Thanks for your thoughts and help. Getting close..er I think. Will go ride he working bike