Need route help please

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning a ride in a couple weeks. A couple of you mentioned a road off of Highway 36 and/or Highway 299 in Northern California and I was wondering what the name of the road was.

I'm thinking of heading from Happy Camp to Willow Creek on Highway 299. I'd like to cut down to HIghway 36 and take that back to Red Bluff on the way home. For some reason I have Forest Road 1 in my head, but that could be wrong. I know highway 3 cuts down but I wanted to do more of highway 36. I don't want to go West all the way to Eureka either.

Anyone know the road I'm talking about? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken the forest road from Happy Camp over to Cave Junction Or, but I don't think that's what you were looking for. By the way, if you haven't been to the Oregon Cave's Natl Monument, make sure you put that on your list. Not only the road up to the caves is epic, the cave tour and the historic lodge is incredible too. No TV, No internet, No phones, No cell service when I was up there.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
You have the right road. It's Titlow Hill Rd from Hwy299 or from Hwy36 in Mad River it's Forest Road 1. Paved all the way through and after some fires a few years back some areas have really opened up the view in places. FYI when riding the back roads of Humbolt county stay way right on the curves. The pot growers drive full size lifted 4x4's, haul ass and don't give a **** who's on the road.
PS Mad River Burger Bar is worth the stop for a greasy spoon burger.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI when riding the back roads of Humbolt county stay way right on the curves. The pot growers drive full size lifted 4x4's, haul ass and don't give a **** who's on the road.

Funny, you're not the first rider to mention this. I've hear it on other forums. Some riders compare it to the locals on the "Road to Hana" in Maui. They drive like they own the road.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, you're not the first rider to mention this. I've hear it on other forums. Some riders compare it to the locals on the "Road to Hana" in Maui. They drive like they own the road.

This is generally true for all windy backroads. Expect to come around corners occasionally and be staring at an oncoming vehicle on the wrong side.

Locals in rural areas, logging trucks, weekend racerbois, etc.

Start wide for visibility but be ready to cut inside in a hurry.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
You have the right road. It's Titlow Hill Rd from Hwy299 or from Hwy36 in Mad River it's Forest Road 1. Paved all the way through and after some fires a few years back some areas have really opened up the view in places. FYI when riding the back roads of Humbolt county stay way right on the curves. The pot growers drive full size lifted 4x4's, haul ass and don't give a **** who's on the road.
PS Mad River Burger Bar is worth the stop for a greasy spoon burger.

Thanks for information! Ya, I'm familiar with pot growers and their tendency to not care about one else.

Thanks for recommendation. I ate at Mad River Burger Bar when I did highway 36 in August. Never disappoints. The view was especially nice --- firemen kept stopping by to get a bite. heehee
My hubby has never eaten there though, so we will see if it fits into our itinerary. Still working on that. Only have 3 days and hubby doesn't want to do high mileage days. So, we will see....