New Denso 0290/4 Fuel Pump?

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
OK... so it is absolutely the electric pump that's goosed. See attached pics...

Pic 1 is the disassembled pump in full.
Pic 2 is the electric pump removed from its housing.
Pic 3 is the end of the electric pump, showing a code that looks like 08 03H 9100

Anyone any ideas if just the inner pump can be purchased?

uploadfromtaptalk1460669287551.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460669303592.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460669321413.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fleebay a new denso pump motor for an fz or r6.. dirt cheap.

R6 body can be used but:
Swap in FZ Pressure Regulator.
Swap in FZ plug at the return inlet. R6 has a return line at the pumps bottom.
Swap in FZ fuel gauge...

So you powered up that pump and what happened?

Last edited:

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
When I put 12V across the pump, it did nothing. There's no continuity at all. If I had to guess, the thin residue I noticed on the outside of the pump has created an insulated point in the circuit deep inside the pump.

Just out of curiosity, I might cut open the broken pump when I'm done here.

I looked in auction sites for a new pump, but all I could find were used items still in their assembly. I found brand new pump only, but for 2007+ models, and they do not look the same unfortunately. I'll keep looking for now, but at least I know I can pickup a used part for less than $50

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one!

I've been doing a few online searches, and I keep coming up with good (but not 100pct accurate) results.

On a Polish site, there were lots of image matches, but then the links were poor. Price was around $15 new.

Another search suggested a match with a Toyota Prius 2003-09. The part number quoted was DFP-0107. The image looked like a match, bit did not include the filter/strainer. Price closer to $100 new.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of them fit in this bucket... But to your point, most will not use or fit the oem power connector. A splice will ne required. Make it a good one

Performance:
Operating Pressure: 15-90 PSI - final fuel pressure set by regulator.
Flow: 140-160 Liter Per Hour, at 3.0Bar/13.5V
Voltage: 12V min.

Size:
Overall Length (tip to tip): 4 1/2" (11.5cm)
Length of Pump Body Metal Case: 2 5/8" (6.6cm)
Pump Body Diameter: 1 1/2" (3.8cm)
Inlet Diameter: 5/16" (0.8cm)
Outlet Diameter: 5/16" (0.8cm)

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
Outstanding! Only in the US do you get that kind of customer service.

I'll trying sending this to local suppliers and see if someone is willing to hit the stockroom with a measuring tape.

Thanks again for the info.

[emoji1]

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've decided not to waste my time potentially ordering the wrong part, and I've got a used (tested) pump (inc. assembly) winging its way to me.

Q. I might run pure alcohol through it to clean it out, then pass fresh fuel through it (pre-install). Any objections with my proposal?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I would, if it needed it, spray the filter and exterior with brake cleaner.

I don't know if running alcohol would hurt or help, especially rubber parts/seals.

If it was mine, I don't think I would...

IMO, I'd install it, 1/3 a tank of fuel and try it. You got the method down should you have to pull it.....

To clean the ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM, I'd run some of Yamaha's RingFree which is a fuel cleaner and top end cleaner.
I use it in ALL my gas engines. Its highly regarded in the marine world. You can get a small bottle for about $22.00 that
treats a ratio of 1 oz per 10 gallons. You can easily run it double that.

BTW, I never heard back from Denso, sad :(

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
OK... Thanks for the tips. Can't seem to find a supplier in the UK for RingFree, but we have a product that sounds like it does the same job. Redex RDX10. It's specifically designed to clean fuel lines and injection systems. Got a couple of bottles of it in the garage.

I also have a small sonic cleaner. Might dip the filter end of the pump in there and give it blast to clear any tiny particles. Probably over-kill now, but might as well before I put everything back on the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The sonic cleaner is a good idea and certainly cant hurt. The RDX as well

I gather you already checked the inside of the tank for any rust, etc?

Please post back once its installed!

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
So, no rust in tank... just a little discolouration from the 'toffee apple' residue. Not so bad that I would consider boiling it.

Anyway, used pump arrived today. In very good condition. Dropped straight back in tank with the float attached, as was suggested. Connected everything back in the right order. Whole process took a tenth of the time compared to stripping it.

Turned key to 'on' and... CONTACT!!

Bit late here to go fill a jerry can of premium (dude), but I'll get it running for proper tomorrow.

Again, many many many thanks to all you good people for sticking with me on my journey, and for all your tips and tricks. I am forever in your debt.

If I ever discover a genuine new replacement for the internal pump, I'll be sure to share with the forum.

Until then... ride safe brothers & sisters!

[emoji13] [emoji106]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates!!

Sometimes its not worth the effort / angina vs just sourcing another one...

Just a side note,
Fuel in the tank does help to cool the pump, so running the tank super low on a regular basis probably isn't the best thing for the pump.

(I know yours is low as you were working on it)