New FZ6 owner

BetaChris

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there,

My name is Chris and I just bought a 2007 FZ6 with just 2000 miles on it! Its super low miles, so there's not much to say about it... I'm glad there is a community here to network with, maybe ride with, and learn from.

I'm in Sacramento... hope to see you on a ride!

Attachments

• 00. FZ6.jpg
    00. FZ6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Chis! That's a crazy find! We have a saying here, ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. The FZ6 is one of the best all round reliable bike ever created. This forum also has the best members to help and get experience from.

BetaChris

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, the bike looks show-room new. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Gary. Gonna ride it the way it is a little, probably do tires then think about changing the fork oil. I mean, its 14 years old and all wrong anyway... I weigh about 190, steer the bike quickly... what oil and height/cc would you recommend? Thank you.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find- congrats. Safe riding and welcome from downunder!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would 100% install new tires. That bike was obviously garage kept and the tires haven't suffered from UV damage, but the rubber is now old and hard. The handling/grip from the tires may be unpredictable.

Yes, I would also change the engine oil AND the brake fluid. Both of these fluids are in unsealed enclosures and will have likely deteriorated.

I don't think it is necessary to change the fork oil. The fork oil lives in a sealed enclosure and it probably looks like fork oil with 2,000 miles - like new. But if you do change it, use 15oz and top it off with an air gap of 134mm (spring out, fork tube down). The correct spec is .49 qt which is 15.68 oz. - but either way the air gap should be 134mm. Yamaha uses "01" oil for the FZ forks - this is about 2.5wt oil. Fork oil is cheap and isn't changed often, so don't stress over spending the money on OEM fluid.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I weigh about 190, steer the bike quickly

I gave this some thought...and my recommendation is that you give this some thought.

At 190 pounds, the OEM springs are are not adequate for your weight. If you take some measurements you will see that nearly half of the forks available travel (130mm) is being used just to support you and your gear - and that value should only be 30-35mm. You will want to respring the forks. Of course when you respring, you will also be changing the fluid - it sounds like it will check all of the boxes for you - new fluid and the correct springs. But here is the question you will need to give some thought - is that enough.

Ride the bike and get use to how the bike rides and how the forks respond to rider inputs. If you feel that the bike rides well and responds well to your inputs, then a simple spring change is all that may be required. If you find that there are other aspects of the suspension that you'd like improved, report back and we can discuss the options.

The FZ6 was designed to be a budget bike. As a result it does have some short comings. Luckily almost every place where Yamaha bolted on budget components, better components can be bolted on as an improvement. If you don't notice the budget components, don't make a change and you'll be happy. But if you do take notice of the bikes short comings, it will bug the crap out of you.

BetaChris

Reaction score
Visit site
I gave this some thought...and my recommendation is that you give this some thought.

The FZ6 was designed to be a budget bike.

Hey Gary,

Thanks for following up. I suppose I should have provided a little more information. I have about 5 years of experience roadracing, and spent a few years after that instructing at track days, and I am, in fact, quite picky about suspension settings. In my mind this bike is a great all around-er that I can have fun on without spending too much money on insurance or upkeep etc... I had an FJ09 which I did "the full monty" on... Ohlins forks and shock, electronic cruise, luggage etc... and shoot, If I'm honest there are more examples of me trying to make a bike into something it wasn't designed to be. So, having said all that I'm really glad you mentioned the fork spring rates because bike set up starts with spring rate....

I think I'll ride the bike as it is and evaluate... I like the approach of springs and oil on top of emulators approach but, may just change the fork oil and see how it is... all this is speculation as I have only taken a 5 minute ride on the bike so far!

BetaChris

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'll ride the bike as it is and evaluate... I like the approach of springs and oil on top of emulators approach but, may just change the fork oil and see how it is... all this is speculation as I have only taken a 5 minute ride on the bike so far!

I've only been here 5 minutes and I'm already quoting myself LOL.... If I fall in love it will only be a matter of time until is has Ohlins front and rear :)

BetaChris

Reaction score
Visit site
Good looking bike! I would suggest change the brake fluid too. Other than that, check the seals and hoses. Easy stuff to replace. Welcome to the forum!!!
Thank you. Brake fluid looks yellow, not black so I'm not too worried... It'll get done, just not on the hot list. Nothing is leaking, the old is freshly changed, I think I really got a cream puff here :)