New guy looking at the FZ6

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yall, I'm from Chicago and fairly certain I made up my mind to pull the trigger on an FZ6. I was originally looking at the 650r, but after hours of researching I think the FZ6 would make more sense. I mainly will be riding for pleasure, commuting, and hopefully a few 8+ hour road trips and track days eventually.

I am going to check out a 2009 raven tomorrow with only 6k miles. Its stock other then some fairings added and new mirrors. Guy is asking for $4600, does this seem like a decent price? Is there anything I should be looking for when I check out the bike other then the typical stuff?

Also I have yet to sit on an FZ6, I'm 5'9 with just under a 30" inseam, will I have any issues out of the gate?

I'm super stoked to begin riding again. Its crazy how active this forum is compared to the ninja 650s, which is another reason why I decided to go with the fz6. Thanks yall

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yall, I'm from Chicago and fairly certain I made up my mind to pull the trigger on an FZ6. I was originally looking at the 650r, but after hours of researching I think the FZ6 would make more sense. I mainly will be riding for pleasure, commuting, and hopefully a few 8+ hour road trips and track days eventually.

I am going to check out a 2009 raven tomorrow with only 6k miles. Its stock other then some fairings added and new mirrors. Guy is asking for $4600, does this seem like a decent price? Is there anything I should be looking for when I check out the bike other then the typical stuff?

Also I have yet to sit on an FZ6, I'm 5'9 with just under a 30" inseam, will I have any issues out of the gate?

I'm super stoked to begin riding again. Its crazy how active this forum is compared to the ninja 650s, which is another reason why I decided to go with the fz6. Thanks yall

Why new mirrors did he drop it ? beside that its a fair price at that mileage and if its in the condition you say,

Check common wearing items grips foot rests any of the parts that stick out grab handles crank case corner of fairing bar ends and mirrors for scratches, if they are scratched it was probably dropped,

Take pictures go home look at it, not only remember what you pay for the bike you need to have extra $$ for at minimum Helmet jacket and gloves.

can't really think of anything else, for something to compare too i bought an 07 7,127miles Red, gentleman wanted 4-4500 i cant remember i offered 3k cash and said i cant do much more than that left it at that and he called the next day asked for 100 more i said ok, sometimes walking away is a good thing

great bike overall im 6'3 and its really easy for me to stand up and allow the bike to move so id assume your the perfect height for the bike

check the tires and chain also common wear items

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
To me that price seems fair considering the area, miles, year and the riding season is FINALLY getting here for us midwesterners. Could probably talk him down a bit.

Check every eveything to make sure it's been well maintained. If the tires are getting down there, that's a bargaining chip right there. Other than basic maintenance, these are pretty bullet proof as there aren't too many bells and whistles.

I'm about your size, minus and inch, and I don't have a problem getting on or off the fz6. I can't flat foot when sitting on it though.

Oh and Welcome!!

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike, the guy was asking $3000. I drove an hour away to look at it and before I left I said, "I hope you are looking to deal."

I brought $2500 with me and gave $220 of that to my friend to hold.

After looking at the bike, I took $2280 out of my wallet and made it clear that my wallet was now empty. Then I said, "I have roughly $2300 right now to take it off your hands. Will that do it?" He sighed, shrugged his shoulders, looked at his bike and said, "I need to get rid of it so I guess that works."

The reason I gave $220 to my friend to hold is just in case the seller said $2300 wasn't enough. I would have asked my friend if I could "borrow" some money.

Now I have an extra $1500 to mod this thing the way I want! :rockon:

(An extra $1500 because the bike books for $3800 on KBB)! :Flash:

If I were you, I would take with you $3,980 or so and bring a friend you trust and give him whatever you are willing to spend. You will also have to gauge how much the seller wants to get rid of the bike (how badly he needs money). Maybe you save yourself some money! :cheer:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as the seat height you may have a little issue to begin with but as long as the rear suspension is adjusted for your weight it wont be too long to get used to it.....im your height and it took me a few months to get used to it fully.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks yall, really appreciate the comments. He mentioned that he is not desperate to sell, and id imagine that it would sell easier if he waits a few more months. I was planning on offering 3900ish, and hoping I can get it for 4200.

Anyways, below is the posting. Now you have got me thinking about the mirrors, he has also replaced the grips, so maybe it was dropped (even though he said it wasnt, so I will be sure to pay extra attention.

YAMAHA FZ6, 2009, only 6K, Special Edition

Thanks again

Jessman23

Reaction score
Visit site
I just traded down from a 2010 R1 and to me it was the best decision I've ever made. That seems like a good price with that amount of miles. I'm 5' 7" and I don't have problems touching or moving it. My feet touch just before the arch of my foot and that's plenty to me. It's definitely a lot nicer than the 650r IMO

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks yall, really appreciate the comments. He mentioned that he is not desperate to sell, and id imagine that it would sell easier if he waits a few more months. I was planning on offering 3900ish, and hoping I can get it for 4200.

Anyways, below is the posting. Now you have got me thinking about the mirrors, he has also replaced the grips, so maybe it was dropped (even though he said it wasnt, so I will be sure to pay extra attention.

YAMAHA FZ6, 2009, only 6K, Special Edition

Thanks again

just know that its not special edition, they didnt make a special edition for this bike in the states. its a black 09, with stickers removed and a pinstripe added. 4500 is fair but if its on craigslist they have most likely added in padding to the price. take at least 10% off anything on CL. so the advertised price is really 4000. start your offer at 3800 if the bike checks out.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site

just know that its not special edition, they didnt make a special edition for this bike in the states. its a black 09, with stickers removed and a pinstripe added. 4500 is fair but if its on craigslist they have most likely added in padding to the price. take at least 10% off anything on CL. so the advertised price is really 4000. start your offer at 3800 if the bike checks out.

Thanks dude, I realized there was nothing 'special' about it. Id probably end up taking the pinstripe and wheel stripes off. Also I dont know about the fairings, I would certainly take them for the first month or so just in case.

I would personally rather get something a year or two older, so it would be less expensive, but I cant find anything for sale privately in my area.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks dude, I realized there was nothing 'special' about it. Id probably end up taking the pinstripe and wheel stripes off. Also I dont know about the fairings, I would certainly take them for the first month or so just in case.

I would personally rather get something a year or two older, so it would be less expensive, but I cant find anything for sale privately in my area.

Have you tried looking a little out of your area? I drive 3 hours one way to pick mine up for the same reasons. There wasn't anything around me.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I just traded down from a 2010 R1 and to me it was the best decision I've ever made. That seems like a good price with that amount of miles. I'm 5' 7" and I don't have problems touching or moving it. My feet touch just before the arch of my foot and that's plenty to me. It's definitely a lot nicer than the 650r IMO

Thanks for the words. I was looking at an orange 650r and have to say the thing looks pimp and out of the gate the power band would be better for me... But everything else leans me towards the fzr. The 650 sounds absolutely horrible, even with an exhaust it is kind of embarrasing. And I am not even close to be ready to start racing (legally) I dont think the 650r would give me years of satisfaction like the fzr would.

Ive seen a few photos of people taking cross country trips with the fzr, which is really encouraging.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another chicago fz6 rider!! Welcome. This forum is awesome as you mentioned. If you need any help with the fz6 (if you get it) everyone here is helpful and some extremely knowledgeable people. 30" inseam shouldnt be a problem. You might not be able to flat foot but will have enough ground contact to be stable. starting off on an incline may take some practice (though not a huge concern in chicago area). Pick the fz6 over the 650r!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I would offer that guy 3500 for insulting your intelligence and calling it a special edition.

The bike is probably worth 4500 but I would start at 3500

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Another chicago fz6 rider!! Welcome. This forum is awesome as you mentioned. If you need any help with the fz6 (if you get it) everyone here is helpful and some extremely knowledgeable people. 30" inseam shouldnt be a problem. You might not be able to flat foot but will have enough ground contact to be stable. starting off on an incline may take some practice (though not a huge concern in chicago area). Pick the fz6 over the 650r!

Awesome to see a few Chicago folks around. Are there any decent service shops around here? I have been hearing horror stories from friends with bikes. The guy told me the oil has not been changed since last season, so I hardly feel comfortable riding the 50 miles back to the city.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Missing bar ends no mirrors and t/s are diff so it's modes id start out my negotiation as who did the work, he will say I did and then I'd say are you a certified mechanic ? And so on and so forth

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the good thing is, that's a fair price as he has it, if it hasn't been over and he's not hiding something. You guys up north are lucky in one regard, your bike prices are a little cheaper than down south where we can literally ride all year. There hasn't been a month this year where I haven't ridden. The downside to living up there is just that, you can't ride all year. That bike you're interested in would probably be around $5K here and not much negotiation to be had. Plus, our bikes are a little more rare than Ninjas and SV650's it seems and that might be adding to the value just a tad.

Can't recommend the Fz6 enough. Like you, I was looking at 650r's, SV650's, Fz6R's, and Fz6'. The Fz6 just had everything I needed and was the most comfortable of the bunch. Plus, I found a 2005 with only 6K on it and was babied it's whole life which made my decision all that much easier as I actually wanted the silver engine and rims and not the black.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome to see a few Chicago folks around. Are there any decent service shops around here? I have been hearing horror stories from friends with bikes. The guy told me the oil has not been changed since last season, so I hardly feel comfortable riding the 50 miles back to the city.

Im actually in the burbs. Dgy on ogden is pretty popular around me (sw burbs), although idk how good their prices or service is. I usually do my own maintenance. Idk about in chicago either. Hopefully someone else can give more insight.

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another Chicago guy here. Be patient with your search. It took me a year and half to find my bike in IN. She was a little rough, but I got a great price. Of course I spent more than my fair share $$$ getting her pristine again and with a few mods.

I am an occasional rider, commute to work once a week or so. Ride on the weekend. Love the FZ6 and the upright position. I've been riding most of my life. Although I did have a 20 year gap when I moved from So Cal back to Chicago. Glad I'm back in the saddle.

This is a GREAT forum. Lots of knowledgeable, friendly folks. I lurked here for quite some time while I was looking for a bike. Very happy with the FZ6.

Good luck with your search! Come back to the forum often and get advice. :welcome:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
it APPEARS to be a clean and unmolested-ish bike (other than what was mentioned earlier)

I would offer around what everybody else has said....if you start at the lower end you may just be surprised if they take it...I sure was....when I bought my 2005 with 12k (years ago) he had it listed at $4100 and I took it home for $3000. Just be firm with whatever your maximum price that youre willing to pay.....DO NOT bring any more $$$ than that.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for the words. It seems I will be sticking around for a while as I ended up pulling the trigger on it a few hours ago.

Bike looked very clean and the guy seemed genuine, however he would not wiggle on his asking price, only would come down to $4400. I did not notice one scratch on the bike, so it must have been well cared for. The guy modded the lights so they both come on for daytime running (which I heard drains the battery a bit) and installed a cigarette charger thing.

This is my first bike, and I managed to make a 1.5 hour drive home without killing myself. That being said I skipped all of the highways, and maxed out at 4k rpms and 45mph :). By the end of the trip my wrist was killing me from shifting.

The oil has not been changed in about 12 months, so that will be my first task. I am going to spend a few hours going through that section. I will post pics in the newb section and probably a ton of questions